PWR RADIATOR PROBLEMS

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 _methanoltorana_

_methanoltorana_
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:52 PM

I have heard about a few problems with pwr radiators from a few people in various car clubs, has anyone had any dramas with product or service?

#2 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:20 PM

I have heard about a few problems with pwr radiators from a few people in various car clubs, has anyone had any dramas with product or service?

I never used one, found them to be a bit pricey for my budget.

Mate of mine bought one, he says never again he went back to an ordinary 3 core and was happy but he wanted a polished aluminium one and he ended up doing what a few of us have done and that is buy the Chinese HQ ones from ebay (they need a trim to fit an LX) at less than half the cost of PWR but they are still very good quality regardless of of what some say here who believe quality only comes with a hefty outlay. I hear the cores used by more expensive radiator suppliers all come from China these days anyway but I cannot confirm that.

Herne

#3 _2wild4u_

_2wild4u_
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:32 PM

i ordered one for a commodore i am doing at home, ended up sending it back, wasnt very nice at all, and the mounting points werent positioned correctly, very average

#4 _Gunmetal LH_

_Gunmetal LH_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:59 PM

My copper VN radiator got a huge leak so I put in an alloy one from a VS and bashed a relief into the bonnet to clear the cap. Works brilliant- fan on, cools WAY quicker. Only cost me a carton of Coopers sparkling. I don't want to get a copper one ever again.

What sort of problems with the PWR ones?

#5 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:58 PM

I had a PWR cross flow Chev Torana radiator, it was very well made. Unfortunately the Chev outlets did not suit my LS2 conversion.

PWR make their own cores and claim to make 99.9% of their products in house.

#6 _1uzbt1_

_1uzbt1_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:44 AM

^^^thats correct,well was last time i heard.The used to use K&J cores as they were down the road or something but they were onsold so they ended up making their own cores.I hear alot of complaing on forum's(we all no how accurate that could be)about failures etc but theres no background into why etc.The ones ive seen always look good.

We use to install quite a few for the GU Patrols and had a few dramas with the mounting pins cracking, we complained/advised them but not sure if they have taken the issue on board and modified them.

#7 _@milco@_

_@milco@_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:39 AM

i think i will be buy a HQ one ebay ( shipped form china) , i have found with chinese products that can be very good it just depends on what the company placing the order has asked for, if they ask for the cheapest price of course quality is comprimised ect.

in regards to personal experiance my father design's and build's desalination machines for bore water treatment on farms and houses, and he now gets all his 316 stailess fittings/elbows/ t-pieces made in china from a major manufature there at the cost of 80 australian cence each where the equivilant item from Blackwoods was around the $5-$9 mark the quality is the same in fact they have all the same marking's as the product from blackwoods.

so i would have have no problems ordering one of the radiators from china as all i have heard were good reports about them, but alot of MIXED reports about the PWR ones........ which is a shame because it is great to support australian local manufaturing/products but if they arnt up to scratch what are we ment to do?

#8 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:53 PM

My mate here in Canberra purchased a PWR radiator with fan combo to suite Big Block in a HQ. First problem the radiator would not sit flush with support pannel, they did not allow in the brackets for the raised edge that HQ's have so it sat back 12mm which put the fans on the water pump. 2nd they did not allow enough room for the steering pump to lower hose so a adaptor needed to be made so the hose did not fowl. He sent back 2 sets of fans because of clearance issues, and in the end could only run smaller fans than he wanted to. Also they put the mounting holes in the wrong place and the needed to be relocated. All up this radiator cost him $1200, I would have thrown it through there window but thats me.

#9 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:42 PM

To be a little more specific then as requested a couple of posts up, the PWR my mate purchased simply would not do a good job at cooling his 308 whereas the Chinese one works fine, go figure...Not to mention the approx $600.00 odd he saved.

Cheers
Herne

#10 _Eedman_

_Eedman_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:08 PM

The worst thing you can do is mix two different coolants in one . I have seen it starts oxidizing inside the core. Just a warning. I will get some pics of what it does.

#11 _fudd_

_fudd_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:38 PM

Hi all, I bought a PWR radiator with 16inch fan for my LC with a 350sbc, the radiator mounted up to the origional mounting position, seemed a tad small for a v8 but i tried it anyway, it didnt keep cool at all. I asked a few questions and got told, that is what everyone else is using and they dont have any problems. currently the PWR is under my bed(waste of money) and i have a Desert cooler in it now doing an ok job.
Peter.

#12 _1uzbt1_

_1uzbt1_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:55 PM

there is alot of hate for the desert coolers aswell,the copper brass stuff is rubbish.

#13 _patch_

_patch_
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:52 AM

there is alot of hate for the desert coolers aswell,the copper brass stuff is rubbish.

it carnt be to bad if gerry myers and a few of the burnout champs are running them in there cars

#14 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:55 AM

it carnt be to bad if gerry myers and a few of the burnout champs are running them in there cars

Psst the names Gary Myers ;)

#15 _XU1-043_

_XU1-043_
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:02 AM

i've got a radiator from a mob called Fenix radiators they are a New Zealand based company who have recently set up in Australia, all the radiators are made in kiwiland. i have one in my LJ (5L) and have had absoulutely no problem with it even in summer sitting in traffic. The best thing about it is it was only $350 and it looks tops. :rockon:

http://www.fenixautopart.com/

Posted Image

#16 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:04 PM

It is interesting that they have put the radiator cap in the wrong spot. Normally it would be as far away from the top inlet as possible.

#17 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:42 PM

well i am one against the dessert ones, the first was way to big wouldnt even fit between the chassis the support was marginal at best and the second one does fit but and does work ok but next time i will be trying a diffrent manufacturer,

i also brought one of there tripple copper ones for my xu1 a few years back it went straight back as when i put the hose in it to fill it up it just ran out the bottom where the core was braised to the bottom tank.but the second copper one worked fine after that. just got a bit costly back then shipping them back and forth.

#18 _1uzbt1_

_1uzbt1_
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:53 PM

dont tell me you paid for freight?

#19 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:27 PM

I own a PWR 2 core Alloy radiator bought in 2000.

It's been a great radiator and was one of the early Alloy into street cars.

I cant say a bad thing about them, but i've had no experience with the new equipment.

Cheers

#20 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:27 PM

1uzbt1 knows about this stuff, he is in the business.
just to make a point guys, you know all those companys that make aftermarket parts for cars, you know how they say its a bolt in part no mods required. well when has that been true? 99% of those parts require some sort of mod to make fit whether it be very minor to major work.
pwr do offer a custom service were they send you a basic design(plan)of the radiator and you tell them if you want any changes. they cant possibly know exactly to the millimetre how every radiator with any possible engine combo is going to fit.

#21 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:43 PM

yep i did

#22 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:31 PM

pwr sent me a drawing,i checked to see if it fitted,it did and i signed the drawing and faxed it back.then they made it

keeps my 355 cool no problem at all.im also very happy with there quality and service.

i have had electrolosis problems though.my fault not pwrs.

#23 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:40 PM

Out of Curiosity, What electrolysis problems have you had?

I was concerned about this so i put an earth strap from the radiator to the chassis, and i run Holden genuine Green coolant and i've never noticed a problem!

Cheers!

#24 _Eedman_

_Eedman_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:29 AM

pwr sent me a drawing,i checked to see if it fitted,it did and i signed the drawing and faxed it back.then they made it

keeps my 355 cool no problem at all.im also very happy with there quality and service.

i have had electrolosis problems though.my fault not pwrs.

was that due to mixing different manufacturers coolant in the same radiator?

#25 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:24 PM

yes,and tap water,instead of distilled,plus i had .3 of a volt stray current in the radiator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users