Hybrid

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:LC 2 Door

Posted 09 May 2011 - 10:26 PM

I am trying to work out what brand and type of front spring I should buy for my V8 LC. I have read mixed reports about Pedders and King springs and good reports about Lovells springs. So at this time I am leaning towards Lovells.

However, my main dilema relates to the type of spring I should use. It seems I have the choice between V8 specific heavy duty springs, heavy duty 6 cyl springs and standard duty 6 cyl springs.

I would like to maintain a reasonable ride height. By this I mean I don't want the front to looked 'jacked up' and I don't want it stupidly low that it scrub wheels and hit the bump stops when it drives over a twig. The vehicle will be more of a straight line car that is used for primarily for cruising rather than a circuit racer. I have read that in some states the V8 springs are a mandatory requirement that is enforced by Engineers. I am not sure if this is applicable to NSW ( I suspect it isn't).

Relevant Information

• I have already purchased 90/10 shocks for the front.
  • I intend to run 15x7 wheels that have a positive 25mm offset.
  • I am not sure what tyre I will buy to suit these rims, thought I suspect something around 215/50R15.
So what springs do you recommend? I think the heavy duty springs might be the most suitable, but I have nothing concrete to base that on. What springs do you have installed or have previously tried?

I would appreciate it if you could post a pic of your car and tell me what springs are fitted (a picture tells a thousand words and takes a lot of the opinion out if it).

Edited by Hybrid, 09 May 2011 - 10:28 PM.

#2 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:56 AM

I have pedders heavy duty V8 lowered springs in mine and im happy with them this is how it sits
Posted Image

#3 _glenn l_

_glenn l_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:25 PM

imo the kings or pedders are better than the lovells are, lovels use to be a good coil but the last couple of years we have had problems with them riding like crap and sagging. 2 years ago i wouldnt have recomended kings but they changed there raw materal to x5k which is lighter and stronger than what the others use and thats mainly what we use now, pedders are aslo good. as for part# pedders are std height 7715, low height 7015 and kings are std height khfr-08, low height khfs-08.
also wouldnt recomend running 90/10's on the street especialy runnig any of the above coil part # above, for the strip there ok.

#4 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,588 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:36 PM

Pedders 2 inch lowered springs all round with CRS drop spindles in the front as well.
Front 195/50/15 on 15x6 convos. Nothing scrubs.

Attached Files

#5 Hybrid

Hybrid

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:04 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Maybe the lowered Pedder springs are the go. On their website, Pedders only list one "Low" front spring (2015 Sports Ryder Coil Spring). It does not clearly state that it is specific to a V8 LC/J.

http://www.pedders.com.au/catalogue

Is this the model number of the springs that you fitted LJ355 and rexy?

#6 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:12 PM

Mate i just had a look at mine but i cant tell you what the part number is i must have removed the sticker

But looking at rexys it doesnt appear to be much lower than mine i have hq stubs compared to his drop spindles ?

#7 Hybrid

Hybrid

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:37 PM

Mate i just had a look at mine but i cant tell you what the part number is i must have removed the sticker

But looking at rexys it doesnt appear to be much lower than mine i have hq stubs compared to his drop spindles ?

I will be using standard Torana disc stubs with a Hoppers brake kit, so I guess my ride height will be a touch higher than yours. What width and back spacing are your front wheels and what size tyres do you have fitted to these rims?

BTW, I saw your car in the flesh at Powercruise back in March. I was really impressed by it. Definitely one of my favourite cars of the day.

#8 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,588 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:36 PM

The drop spindles are worth about 2.5 inches of lowering over standard, perhaps a little less in mine as the LS1 is lighter than a holden V8 and a lot lighter again than a steel SBC. By eye there is about 1 - 1.5 inches difference between mine and LJ355 which would seem about right for spindles vs HQ stubs so I suspect we both have similar springs fitted. Will crawl under the car when I get a chance to see what the part number tags say.

#9 _TorYoda_

_TorYoda_
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:08 AM

If you want it to corner well go the V8 springs in the front. If you want it to hook up well at the drags go for the std length HD 6cyl springs. with these it will lift the nose better during the launch.

#10 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:00 AM

Those front wheels are 15x4 with 135 tyres not sure what profile they are and back space personally i think a 7" is to wide for the front of a LJ a 6" would be better in my opinion i have a set of GTS wheels in 14x6" they fit nice

#11 _glenn l_

_glenn l_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:20 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Maybe the lowered Pedder springs are the go. On their website, Pedders only list one "Low" front spring (2015 Sports Ryder Coil Spring). It does not clearly state that it is specific to a V8 LC/J.

http://www.pedders.com.au/catalogue

Is this the model number of the springs that you fitted LJ355 and rexy?

the 2015 is a 6 cyl coil.

#12 Hybrid

Hybrid

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:06 PM

I bought the 2015s today. We'll see how it goes. If I don't like them, they will end up on eBay and I'll try something else.

Thanks all for your advice.

#13 _ls1lj_

_ls1lj_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:36 PM

How did you go Hybrid? Any pics?

#14 Hybrid

Hybrid

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:02 PM

How did you go Hybrid? Any pics?

Nah mate, not just yet. I'm still a long way off from getting my front end sorted. I've just had my control arms, castor rods, stub axles etc. bead blasted last week. I am still trying to decide on how I want to finish them (2 pack satin black or black zinc plated).

I've got new new Moogs ball joints from RockAuto.com, new Pedders control arm bushes, new Pedders 90/10 shocks, new outrigger and cross members rubber bushes and now new 2015 Pedders front springs. I now want to get all new bolts for the front end as I can't bear the thought of putting it all back together with the shitty old nuts, bolts and washers!

I was going to order a Hoppers big brake kit until I read this yesterday http://www.gmh-toran...weld-draglites/. When I bought my LC it came with 15x10 and 15x5 Weld Prostars (not fitted). I was going to buy some 15x7s for Engineering and rego but drive around on the 15x5s most of the time (we have a rule in NSW where the narrower rim width can't be less than 70% of the wider rim, hence the 15x10 and 15x7 combo). As it looks like my rims won't fit over the Hoppers kit, I will have to work out what I am going to do for front brakes. I've got most of the bits I need for a HQ style brakes so I might have to go down that path now. It certainly wasn't my first preference though.

I expect I will have the front end together in about 4 weeks or so. I will post some pics then.

#15 _LHoon_

_LHoon_
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:22 PM

I know you've already bought your springs, but here's another picture for you.
I have Lovells V8 lowered springs in the front. (Ignore the jacked up back springs).
Car has 355ci with cast iron heads, and HQ brakes. Front wheels are 15x6 with 3.5" backspace.

Attached Files

#16 Hybrid

Hybrid

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:25 PM

I know you've already bought your springs, but here's another picture for you.
I have Lovells V8 lowered springs in the front. (Ignore the jacked up back springs).
Car has 355ci with cast iron heads, and HQ brakes. Front wheels are 15x6 with 3.5" backspace.

LHoon, do your front wheels scrub at all? Are your front guards lipped?

I bought some 15x6 rims (with 3.5" backspace) today. I trial fitted the rims on my HQ brakes (with Torana stubs) and it appears that the outer lip of the rim is inline with the guard. I am very concerned that the tyres will touch on the guards.

#17 Hybrid

Hybrid

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:42 PM

Some photos showing the clearance between the guard and the wheel.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users