15" Weld Draglites

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#1 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:42 PM

Well looks like I am buying the Weld Draglite Wheels for the S.L.R afterall but before I go buy a set does anyone know for sure if a 15 X 6" Weld Draglite with say 3.5" Backspace will clear the 290mm Hopper Stoppers kit???. I have to be sure as I cant return the wheels after Ive trial fitted them up!

the reason i'm opting for 3.5 " backspace is I had 14x7" Armolites on the LX and they have a backspace of 4.5" and running only a 205 x 60 tyre and they rubbed like hell on the lower guard!!,yet I see other guys on here say they are or were running a 15" wheel with 4.5" backspace with no rubbing!? ,WTF?.

so the plan was for
15 X 6" with 3.5" Backspace upfront
15 X 7" with 4.5" Backspace on Rears

I dont want them inset into the guards too much as it looks shit but really must avoid wheels that rub again and dont allow full lock, any help appreciated before I buy wheels that dont fit!

#2 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 26 March 2011 - 08:12 AM

When you say lower guard do you mean the front outer edge of the wheel arch where all torries seem to have a problem? If so then reducing your backspace will make this problem more likely to happen as it puts the wheel and tyre further out.

#3 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:33 AM

When you say lower guard do you mean the front outer edge of the wheel arch where all torries seem to have a problem? If so then reducing your backspace will make this problem more likely to happen as it puts the wheel and tyre further out.

I thought if I reduce the Backspacing then the wheel becomes inset into the wheel arch more?? and increasing the offset would push the wheel outwards more.

Theres no way that 4.5" backspace wheels fit my LX?,the last wheels made a mess of my guards they are marked as 5P offset? and backspace measures as 4.5" and only a 14" wheel too.

The problem area is the frontmost lower section of the wheel arch,mine are now damaged, with regards to the hopper stopper kit the hopper stoppers site says "basically the wheel must not dish in past the hub face before it attaches to the wheel",also the wheels must be a STEP LIP WHEEL not a SOFT LIP WHEEL as the inside are is reduced on the Soft Lip Wheels.

I cant seem to find out if the Draglites have a recessed mounting area where it goes on the Hub or if they are a Step Lip Wheel

Edited by 76S.L.R, 26 March 2011 - 10:37 AM.

#4 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:11 AM

I think Chris Mills have Weld Draglites on the showroom floor.

You have to increase the backspace to move the wheel in. The more postive offset, the more backspace and the further in the wheel.

Posted Image

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 26 March 2011 - 11:11 AM.

#5 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2011 - 02:30 PM

What I need is a WHEERITE wheel measurer but I rang A1 Performance today and was told that these are no longer available!?( not in Australia anyways)

http://www.percyshp.com/WheelRite.html

#6 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:13 PM

You can buy a Wheelrite from Summit Racing.

I would probably be easier to buy or borrow some 15 x 6 rims and experiment with spacers to see what offset/backspace you need.

#7 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:36 PM

You can buy a Wheelrite from Summit Racing.

I would probably be easier to buy or borrow some 15 x 6 rims and experiment with spacers to see what offset/backspace you need.

If I buy that Wheelrite though I'll probably only use it once then chuck it in the shed,LOL! though seems the only way I'll know for sure what will fit! as I dont think I'll find anyone that I know with a 15 x 6 wheel in HQ pattern!?.I might see how much post cost is for that Wheelrite? but it wont tell me if certain wheels will clear the Calipers will it??? so still no idea if the 15 x6" draglites will clear the hoppers kit?

EDIT Post is $46.67!!( arrive 4-6 days) so would cost $126.61 (Total)

Edited by 76S.L.R, 26 March 2011 - 11:51 PM.

#8 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:26 PM

The inside of the weld rims is fairly flat with the hub proud of most of the wheel inner. I doubt you will have a problem.
As the pics show there is a very shallow rounded step as the centre joins the rest of the wheel.
Pics are of 15x7 with 4.5 inch BS.
These fit easily on the front of the hatch with HQ brakes.
15x8 with 4.5 BS fitted fine on a standard width diff on an unflaired untubbed LX sedan.
Its a pitty you are on the wrong side of the country to borrow them for trial fitting!

Attached Files

Edited by rexy, 27 March 2011 - 12:29 PM.

#9 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2011 - 04:07 PM

Thanks for the info mate!!,Heres a pic below of info Hoppers sent me on their 290mm kit's Dimensions, obviously bigger than HQ Calipers so will have less clearance in the wheel,how much less I dunno?. Anyone know how much all this differs in relation to overall size to HQ Brakes??

Posted Image

Edited by 76S.L.R, 27 March 2011 - 04:10 PM.

#10 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 27 March 2011 - 04:38 PM

Just curious, isn't it only the diameter that will affect the hoppers kit? ie: If a 15 inch rim clears the caliper, then offset has nothing to do with it?

#11 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 27 March 2011 - 04:40 PM

How about you email Weld with that pic and ask them

#12 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2011 - 05:21 PM

Just curious, isn't it only the diameter that will affect the hoppers kit? ie: If a 15 inch rim clears the caliper, then offset has nothing to do with it?

Well yes and no, 15" Simmons wont fit Hopper Stoppers without spacers for some reason?,I read on the hoppers site that some Weld wheels might have fittment issues.

Was'nt sure what the back of the draglites were like,if the area where the Hub Bolts on is recessed then the hoppers kit has problems clearing the Calipers also if a wheel has a "SOFT LIP" then the inside diameter is reduced and again gives clearance issues with calipers..... though after seeing the pics provided of Draglites it looks to be fine?

But as Dattoman suggests I'll mail Weld Wheels and see what they have to say?

Edited by 76S.L.R, 27 March 2011 - 05:23 PM.

#13 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:18 PM

The calipers bang on the nuts that hold the simmons together... thats why

Theres backspacing/offset and just plain old clearance inside the rim issues to address
One 15" will fit the next won't
Its trial and error

Or in the case of this kit... print it off, cut it out , put it on some thick card/perspex etc... and test fit it inside a similar wheel if you can find one

Surely there are hundreds of sets of HQ pattern weld wheels around
Tiny has some on his Monaro and the Hoppers kit fits under that
But I don't know what his sizes are.
Maybe theres some info in his members projects thread

Posted Image

#14 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:29 PM

I have measured the rim inner and at 320mm you hit the edge of the soft lip in the mounting face plane. The diagram you have given suggests the caliper edge is starting to curve just before this point + the 3mm space. It would be a pretty tight fit but probably OK by the look of things. I dont suppose hoppers make a kit with the hub mounting face an extra 5mm further out relative to the caliper? This would pretty much guarantee clearance.

#15 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:47 PM

I have measured the rim inner and at 320mm you hit the edge of the soft lip in the mounting face plane. The diagram you have given suggests the caliper edge is starting to curve just before this point + the 3mm space. It would be a pretty tight fit but probably OK by the look of things. I dont suppose hoppers make a kit with the hub mounting face an extra 5mm further out relative to the caliper? This would pretty much guarantee clearance.

Damn!, sounds like it will be really,really close then if it does fit at all?,I dunno if Hoppers make differing hub mounting face dimensions?.

So the Draglites a Soft Lip Wheel?,I read in my many hours of googling that Soft Lip Wheels Cause problems with the Hoppers kit due to the reduced inner Diameter,I really dont want to run Spacers as ive seen too many go wrong on various forums!...

#16 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:50 PM

Changing the hub face won't change anything unless they used a different discs and spaced the caliper back
Aint gunna happen

#17 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:06 PM

I think I'll have to contact the guy that runs the W.A Torana club and see if he knows of anyone in the club running the hoppers kit and Weld Wheels...

#18 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:29 PM

Still no luck finding out if the 15" draglites will clear my Hopper Stopper Brakes!!,I even tried MR MAG to see if they had one I could hire for a few hours but they have none!.

Are there any W.A member's on here who know someone with 15" Draglites in HQ Pattern? so I can borrow one to trial fit over my brakes= I'll even pay to hire the wheel!,unless I fit one up myself I'll never know 100% if it will fit.....

Edited by 76S.L.R, 10 May 2011 - 07:31 PM.

#19 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:13 PM

So weld wouldn't answer ?

#20 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:32 PM

So weld wouldn't answer ?

No reply at all from Weld.
No Luck with the W.A Torana Club either( Though they were VERY helpfull).
Hoppers dont Know if the Draglites fit.
Mr Mag Doesnt know.
No one on here knows for sure.

#21 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:34 PM

Best find someone selling them and ask then to measure

Rocket , Armadale auto parts , Repco ... etc

Or better yet... ring Weld

#22 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2011 - 05:45 PM

Damn Im pissed off=.... the Draglites WONT fit!!!, heres the situation

I went to Chris Mills today with the dimension sheet of the Hoppers kit and took a tape measure= the overall distance I need for the brakes to clear inside the back of the wheel running the smaller 290mm Hopper Stopper kit is 360mm ( 14") but the lowest end of the rear of the 15" Draglites is measuring in at only 315mm because of the lip design on the wheel!. Higher up on the wheel it measures in at 365mm but the lower end wont clear without spacers,which I wont do.

The narrower end of the calipers needs only 320mm clearance but it angles up getting thicker as it progresses and this is where the reduced ID section is in the back of the Draglites so it will foul on the Calipers there.

I also measured the inside of 15" Convo Pro and even those wont clear the Hopper Stopper Kit!!!,the rear ID on those comes in at 340mm,if I had known all this previously I wouldnt have bought that hoppers kit,worst thing is I have no idea what wheels I am going to be able to buy that will clear those brakes?!.

I cant afford Billet or customised wheels,the Show wheels Streeter will clear the brakes but those wheels are 17" and I dont like them much plus I think such a large wheel on a torry looks out of place, I had my mind set on those Draglites but it wont be happening now GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!.....

Edited by 76S.L.R, 14 May 2011 - 05:54 PM.

#23 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 05:53 PM

So sell the Hoppers kit... buy the wheels you want.. .and a parachute

I think we said to find out about the wheels BEFORE buying the kit

#24 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:49 PM

I had a bit of a find today= bought some Torana Magazine called" PERFORMANCE TORANA COLLECTION" on page 72 there's an Orange LH Torana running 15x6" Weld Draglites and the 300mm Hopper Stopper Kit!??.

I am assuming he's running a spacer so the brakes clear the inner lip area on the wheels?,the owner's name is Nick Ferre,is this guy a member here or does anyone know this guy / his car= I could ask how he got the wheels over those damn brakes???.

Its a QLD car and the plates read "Juicey"

Edited by 76S.L.R, 04 June 2011 - 09:52 PM.

#25 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:07 PM

Just an update,I found out today that the Centrline CONVO ET also dont fit the 290mm hoppers kit( wheels wells are 355mm).

http://www.vpw.com.au/productgroup.asp?CatID=15&SubCatID=1136&priorCatID=1136&PrdGrpID=4720

Neither do RIDDLER 685 with a wheels well dia of 350mm

http://www.vpw.com.au/productgroup.asp?CatID=15&SubCatID=1133&priorCatID=1133&PrdGrpID=5441

Those Convo Pro ET would have been awesome! but I need 360mm clearance so no go( maybe I need to get the grinder on the calipers LOL!)

Edited by 76S.L.R, 15 July 2011 - 07:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users