That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 July 2011 - 09:35 AM

Damn Im pissed off=.... the Draglites WONT fit!!!, heres the situation

I went to Chris Mills today with the dimension sheet of the Hoppers kit and took a tape measure= the overall distance I need for the brakes to clear inside the back of the wheel running the smaller 290mm Hopper Stopper kit is 360mm ( 14") but the lowest end of the rear of the 15" Draglites is measuring in at only 315mm because of the lip design on the wheel!. Higher up on the wheel it measures in at 365mm but the lower end wont clear without spacers,which I wont do.

The narrower end of the calipers needs only 320mm clearance but it angles up getting thicker as it progresses and this is where the reduced ID section is in the back of the Draglites so it will foul on the Calipers there.

Not trying to second-guess you here but I don't think you should completely give up on the Draglites until you've actually tried fitting one as the clearances are so tight on the 15s to the Hoppers kit that any small margin of error in measurements could throw you out. I still think there might be some chance they will fit.

From Rexy's photo above I reckon that the outer edge of the wheel centre sits slightly further toward the outside of the car than the bolt up face - my Cragars are the same, and this allows the smaller diameter section of the rim (the bit you measured at 315mm) to sit further out of the way. The sketch with the dimensions shows 3mm between bolt up face and the outside of the caliper, however this extra clearance at the outside of the wheel centre gives me enough room to easily slip a finger between the caliper and wheel centre:
Posted Image
(that's the clearest pic I could get, hope you can make it out, might be about time to clean the car I think!)

The dimension sketch is also a little out on the shape of the caliper shoulder (it is only a sketch after all), they actually roll off quite quickly at that 320mm diameter edge. My wheels do have the 320mm required (barely, more like 319mm) but I don't think that would clear at the position shown on the sketch anyway, it is more about the offset of the reduced diameter part of the rim. These are the 15x7s I had on there for some time:
Posted Image
You can see that there are recesses between the spokes and in one of these there is a balancing weight. The new 15x8s I just got don't have these recesses and I got the wheels balanced off the car then went to fit them and discovered that the weights were too wide and hung off the edge of the lip a bit, fouling the caliper! (And it was more the width than the height that was an issue). I melted down some old lead weights to the equivalent and poured it into the corner between the centre and the rim (similar to the position of the welds holding the centre) so that it didn't stick out so far, which gave me the clearance required.

Sounds like it was just dumb luck on my part that my wheels fit, I never checked any of this when I bought everything!

#28 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Car:LS1 LX 4 Door

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:27 AM

I've not found a wheel yet that doesn't fit over my 290mm Hopper Stoppers kit, I went Commodore pattern though (wish i went ford stuf actually)

#29 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:35 AM

I have to find someone with a 15" Draglite to borrow and test fit one over my brakes but still no luck?.

Dan do you know 100% if Draglites fit over these damn brakes without a spacer!?

#30 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:04 PM

depends where you got them from, if they are from VPW, doubt it.

#31 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:04 PM

Can no one in WA lend this man a draglite?????????

#32 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:40 PM

If i had one i would, pretty sure MISS308 runs them on her car

2 FLY or LX77SL might be able to put you in contact with her

#33 Hybrid

Hybrid

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:LC 2 Door

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:31 PM

If i had one i would, pretty sure MISS308 runs them on her car

2 FLY or LX77SL might be able to put you in contact with her

I wanted to get the Hoppers 290mm kit too until I read your comments that Draglites wont fit over the calipers. When I bought my LC it camed with 2 x 15x5" Weld Pro Stars.

If you want to go halves in the shipping costs* I will send you one of my Weld Pro Star rims to trial fit? I don't know if they are the same internal profile as a Draglite, but I reckon they would have to be close.

* provided it cost $20 or less one way.

#34 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:42 PM

Doesn't Repco sell Weld wheels nowdays
Maybe they have what you need to test fit
If you get along with someone there
Even if its the wrong stud pattern you could knock the studs out of your hubs to trial fit
Or take an assembled stub down to the branch

#35 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:13 PM

DATTO:I asked Repco near me before about the Weld wheels and they said they were not selling them anymore as Weld went bust.

There was a lovely Redy-orange LX 4 Door about the spearwood area( my area of Work) a few times that had the Weld Draglites on it but that was the end of last year and sadly not seen it since,I could'a asked that guy but it seems to have vanished. I cant believe no one in the Torana Club is running Draglites,I contacted guy who runs it but said no one has them on their Torry?!

HYBRID: the post cost would be too expensive mate and the design of the Pro stars compared to draglites differ too much anyways so the rear of the wheels would differ as well but I do thank you for the offer chap....

Edited by 76S.L.R, 18 July 2011 - 08:16 PM.

#36 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:19 PM

Repco Cannington still has some Welds in stock... so not sure about the truth of that

Pick another wheel mate... your causing yourself too much heartache
Or change your brakes back to something that fits

#37 _mumbo_

_mumbo_
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:58 PM

I have 15x7s on mine you can try call me at work

#38 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:19 PM

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I borrowed Mumbo's 15 x7 draglite with 4.5" Backspace and 205/ 60 tyre and it clears the brakes by 8-10mm! with this combo it looks to clear everything at the front of the car though I couldnt lower the car on the wheel as I only had one.

Now I tried the same wheel on the back and it will definately NOT clear the rear guards and its only a 205 tyre!? (with 4.5" backspace)rear guards are not rolled.

the old 14" armolites I had on have a 4" backspace with a 215/60 tyre and did clear but not by much, I measured my 9" diff and its showing approx 1460mm from drum face to drum face,is this correct Torana length???.

So the only thing stopping me from being mobile again is finding the correct backspacing I need on front and back and I'll buy the draglites ASAP! Can anyone offer any advice on what backspacing I need?, I wanted 7" on the Front and 8" on the rears but I dont see how it would fit?. when I had that Draglite on the rear it looked to need a wheel pulled closer inwards to the car,it had a few inches of space between the tyre and Shocky. From what I see most guys are running 4.5" backspace on their Unflared Torry's and a much bigger tyre than 205 so why is mine not going to clear,I can only suspect my diff is wider for some stupid reason? HELP!!!

and a BIG thanks to Mumbo!, I now know they clear the Hoppers Brakes at least

Edited by 76S.L.R, 30 July 2011 - 03:27 PM.

#39 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:22 PM

i got told minimum 5.5" backspare for my rears (if that helps - r31 borg warner)

#40 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:43 PM

From what I can see via google the Standard Diff Length should be 1440mm but mine is 1460mm,Why someone would make the 9" Diff longer!? is beyond me when if anything they are usually the same size as torana or smaller.......

Edited by 76S.L.R, 30 July 2011 - 05:43 PM.

#41 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:47 PM

From what I can figure out (because my diff is oversized), no matter what wheels I run the fronts will have deeper dish than the rears! which will look silly= is there any way I can overcome this??.

#42 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:08 PM

If there is enough spline on the diff axles then it would be relatively cheap to the diff housing down to Torana size.

#43 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:42 PM

This whole situation of getting these brakes and new wheels onboard has turned into a nightmare!,I never would have expected my diff to be oversized? now I have to part with more money again and ive yet to buy wheels and tyres yet too.

Edited by 76S.L.R, 30 July 2011 - 09:42 PM.

#44 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:18 PM

15x8 with 5.5 inch backspace and 15x7 with 4.5 inch backspace will give you an even look back and front.

#45 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:44 PM

15x8 with 5.5 inch backspace and 15x7 with 4.5 inch backspace will give you an even look back and front.

I was thinking the same thing earlier but was'nt 100% sure, though with an 8" x 5.5" backspace on rear I dunno what tyre would fit!?,I suspect I wouldnt get much bigger than a 205 on the rear due to the oversized diff problem, thats pretty darn small for rears but may have to live with it and I'll have to try get the rear guards rolled ( fronts have been done years ago).

#46 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:40 AM

As Andy said, providing there is enough spline on the axles you can get it shortened fairly easy/cheap... Ring Final Drive.

#47 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2011 - 04:05 AM

I certainly would'nt think it will be cheap!,the axles will need cut down and the housing altered too and I'll have to remove the whole diff from the car to drop it off( what a mess!)....

From memory there is roughly 60mm of spline I think?

Edited by 76S.L.R, 31 July 2011 - 04:06 AM.

#48 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 04:14 AM

They only cut the spline side, thats why Andy mentioned "if there is enough spline"

To give you an idea

Final Drive fitted mc donald brothers mounting kit and my old top arms to the borg warner and changed stud pattern on axles/rotors and new bearings etc for $700

So a housing cut/weld and slight shorten of axle would be pretty cheap (just strip it yourself and take housing/axles only)

Edited by DanWA, 31 July 2011 - 04:14 AM.

#49 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:27 AM

I borrowed Mumbo's 15 x7 draglite with 4.5" Backspace and 205/ 60 tyre ... <snip> ... on the back and it will definately NOT clear the rear guards

though with an 8" x 5.5" backspace on rear I dunno what tyre would fit!?,I suspect I wouldnt get much bigger than a 205 on the rear due to the oversized diff problem, thats pretty darn small for rears but may have to live with it and I'll have to try get the rear guards rolled ( fronts have been done years ago).

It depends on how close the 205 on the 7" wheel is to fitting, but by moving the whole extra inch width to the inside as you've suggested by your measurements, you're moving the tyre quite a way inward too. One inch (25.4mm) extra width all offset to the inside will move the centre of the tyre 1/2" inboard, which means that in theory a 225 on the 8" wheel would have nearly 3mm more clearance to the outer guard than the 205 on the 7" wheel. If I were you I'd definitely roll the guards and if the 205 was close to scraping in then the 225 on 8" wheel may be an option which would look OK.

#50 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:34 AM

I borrowed Mumbo's 15 x7 draglite with 4.5" Backspace and 205/ 60 tyre ... <snip> ... on the back and it will definately NOT clear the rear guards

though with an 8" x 5.5" backspace on rear I dunno what tyre would fit!?,I suspect I wouldnt get much bigger than a 205 on the rear due to the oversized diff problem, thats pretty darn small for rears but may have to live with it and I'll have to try get the rear guards rolled ( fronts have been done years ago).

It depends on how close the 205 on the 7" wheel is to fitting, but by moving the whole extra inch width to the inside as you've suggested by your measurements, you're moving the tyre quite a way inward too. One inch (25.4mm) extra width all offset to the inside will move the centre of the tyre 1/2" inboard, which means that in theory a 225 on the 8" wheel would have nearly 3mm more clearance to the outer guard than the 205 on the 7" wheel. If I were you I'd definitely roll the guards and if the 205 was close to scraping in then the 225 on 8" wheel may be an option which would look OK.

I'll try this option first then using=

15x 8" 5.5 backspace on the rear( trial fit a 205/60 first)
15x 7" 4.5 Backspace on fronts,is a 195x60 tyre ok on 7" rims? I'll get the guards rolled too but will need to find a mobile Guard roller guy if there is one in W.A as I cant take the car to them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users