T5 Gearbox In LX

Behind Trimatic Pattern 308

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 _Trentm_

_Trentm_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:03 PM

Hi all, as I understand it the best bet for ease of fitment is to source a Ford T5 gearbox as they have the 160 mm input shaft so the shifter is in the same position or very close. Question is, do you use a Ford V8 T5 or a Ford 6 cyl T5? I will be using a BW 78 diff with a 3.08 ratio but not sure now as to what ratio diff centre to use with the gearbox? I take it the gearbox ratio's are different from Ford V8 to 6? So whats the best all round combo for good highway cruising rpm and good acceleration?

Cheers Trent.

#2 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:42 PM

http://www.gmh-toran...ail-to-t5-swap/

http://www.gmh-toran...683-t5-into-lh/

Those 2 might help alittle

#3 _Trentm_

_Trentm_
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:57 AM

Thanks Neil.

#4 _A9X UC_

_A9X UC_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:36 PM

Hi all, as I understand it the best bet for ease of fitment is to source a Ford T5 gearbox as they have the 160 mm input shaft so the shifter is in the same position or very close. Question is, do you use a Ford V8 T5 or a Ford 6 cyl T5? I will be using a BW 78 diff with a 3.08 ratio but not sure now as to what ratio diff centre to use with the gearbox? I take it the gearbox ratio's are different from Ford V8 to 6? So whats the best all round combo for good highway cruising rpm and good acceleration?

Cheers Trent.

The Ford 6cyl T5 has a 167mm input shaft (XF to EL), using this box with a CRS bell housing puts the shifter approx 5mm futher back from the orignal hole.

Commodore V6 T5 has a 220mm input shaft

Commodore V8 T5 has a 180mm input shaft

I think the Ford V8 T5 has the same 180mm input shaft as the commodore.

Yes the gear ratio's differ from box to box.

I believe the input shaft lenghts differ and extenstion housing differ, the Ford 6 cyl is the shortest extension housing in Aust, unless you buy some from the US

I have installed a Ford 6cyl T5 behind my EFI holden V8 with no issues, just cut back the hole around 5mm and It goes rather well.

See my threads

Edited by A9X UC, 15 May 2014 - 04:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users