• 1,118 posts
  • Car:Blown A9X replica, Black SS hatchback, LH SLR5000

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:01 PM

Thanks for that mate.

#102 _A9XOSS_

_A9XOSS_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

I like the paint job on the dash, but I will have to copy u. thanx for sharing the tips too, your car will look tuff as nails when it's all done. Great job.

#103 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

Ok time for the Air Conditioner conversion while I wait for the boy to get the body done. I will need to do this post in a few sections in steps. Hope this helps Welby.

I am using a Denso A/C evaporator & blower fan from a Toyota Hilux LN106 but any Hilux or 4 Runner from 1990-2000 will do for the conversion. I cut out a new hole in the fire wall just above the original wiring harness hole for the original fire wall engine side blower fan motor. I will retain the original air duct for two reasons I prefer the look and to hide the coil and other engine EFI stuff.

Attached File  274.JPG   63.51K   42 downloadsAttached File  280.JPG   60.81K   33 downloads

Attached File  281.JPG   61.19K   33 downloadsAttached File  282.JPG   65.82K   30 downloads

Before I stripped out the Torana air box I cut out a air box entry blanking plate for a sheet of ABS plastic using the original plastic gasket as a templet then checked & fitted. 

Attached File  276.JPG   59.71K   29 downloadsAttached File  277.JPG   63.99K   26 downloads

Attached File  278.JPG   62.63K   30 downloadsAttached File  286.JPG   68.53K   27 downloads

I stripped out the box and removed the heater flap.

The heater flap needs to be shortened and the end turned up. I then made a plastic plate and drilled 3x 55mm holes in it and the Torana air box so the flexiable air hoses can poke through.

Attached File  296.JPG   66.84K   30 downloadsAttached File  291.JPG   67.95K   32 downloadsAttached File  292.JPG   74.2K   26 downloads

I will post so more info and photos tomorrow as I have to watch the Blues win in the State of Origin now

#104 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:48 PM

my head hurts

#105 stevemc32

stevemc32

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car:LJ 4 Door

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:06 PM

Looking forward to the next step.

#106 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:07 PM

Which part Welby, come on keep up.

#107 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  • Name:Sam
  • Car:LX 4dr 383, TKX, BW

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:52 PM

Cool (literally). Was wondering how this was going. Can't wait to see the next steps.

#108 Mort

Mort

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Name:Mort
  • Car:74 LH SL/R 4.2, 75 LH 4 door 186
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:19 AM

Very interested so far, don't take too long with episode 2.

Don't worry about the loss, they are just messing with the toads this year :lol:

#109 _BARRY JACKPOT_

_BARRY JACKPOT_
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

Bippy ice creams after a day at the beach and eating wizz fizz till you were pinging off your head. Sitting on the old mans lap having a steer while driving round the neighborhood at night in the XU-1 and sitting in the back of the ute on the way back from the tip.

I feel sorry for the youth of today

#110 _BARRY JACKPOT_

_BARRY JACKPOT_
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:14 AM

Sorry boys wrong thread lol.

#111 Mort

Mort

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Name:Mort
  • Car:74 LH SL/R 4.2, 75 LH 4 door 186
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:54 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA, good on ya Chris 

#112 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

Step two, now its time to make an air duct box to deliver the air from the Toyota A/C evaporator to the Torana air box, Using the same plastic sheet I cut out and bent the adaptor box up. This plastic bends well and holds its shape with a bit of heat

After bending to the correct angles and shape I plastic welded both ends of the box.

Attached File  DSC00309.JPG   68.68K   28 downloads

Attached File  DSC00310.JPG   70.9K   29 downloads

Attached File  DSC00311.JPG   70.54K   29 downloadsAttached File  DSC00319.JPG   69.02K   30 downloadsAttached File  DSC00321.JPG   69.68K   29 downloads

There is three holes in the new box and room dictates where the holes need to be drilled.

Now I have fitted the air box adaptor and connected the flexible hoses to the new adaptor box.

Attached File  DSC00322.JPG   65.91K   28 downloads

I will take some more photos of the installation into the car when I can. it looks a bit of a mess sitting on the bench but when its all aligned and hoses secured at the exact lengths it looks very neat tidy and closer to factory air.

I could take heaps more photos and text of every step but this would take around ten pages, so if you don't understand any parts or want better clarification, just post your comment so I can add it. 

There is still a bit to do to complete the A/C conversion so I will add it as I am doing that part.

Lenny

When complete it should look like this

Attached File  DSC00316.JPG   64.71K   52 downloads

#113 _330OLX_

_330OLX_
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:16 PM

I have to watch the Blues win in the State of Origin now

How did that work out for you?

GO QUEENSLANDER

P.S. - great work on this build & your hatch as well

Edited by 330OLX, 27 June 2013 - 06:23 PM.

#114 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:31 PM

As you would expect 3300LX, what a poor run, I expect you guys had something to do with the bus braking down LOL. Oh well better luck in three weeks maybe. They deserved to win they played much better on the night, and QLD had the insight to give the reffs  the brown paper bag beforehand. 

But the biggest win last night was that the bitch has now left the play ground, and now we have a recycled idiot running the side show. 

#115 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:42 PM

But the biggest win last night was that the bitch has now left the play ground, and now we have a recycled idiot running the side show. 

Ain't that the truth. Its called scraping the dregs up from the bottom of the barrel.

:wtf:

It's a circus.  :shoot:

#116 Peter UC

Peter UC

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

What are you using to control the Aircon?

#117 _toranajohn_

_toranajohn_
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:03 AM

nice stuff Lenny as always  hope the console was ok for it ,will it be ready for  toranafest september  and are u going  thanks john

Attached Files

Edited by toranajohn, 29 June 2013 - 12:06 AM.

#118 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:21 AM

Hi Peter UC, your one step ahead. as yet I haven't taken any photos of the controls. I use the standard Torana cable controls but I will piggy back an extra cable at the heater control leaver end to control the heater tap. I have a Dayco heater tap to go into the system so no coolant will flow through the heater core when in the off position. It is very important to get a heater tap that has zero flow when closed due to the heater box flap now being modified. The blower fan pushes around 60% more air than the original Torana fan, and it needs it because the air now needs to blow through the A/C evaporator and part of the heater core. When you slide the heater control to the heat position (flap up) all of the air is then forced through the heater core  and of course at the same time the heater tap open producing the heat. Doing it this way enables you to have the A/C on if you want to dry the air before it passes through the heater core so you can defrost the inside of the car and windscreens. It still has around 30% better air flow from the air vents than standard. I will also plumb the side vents into the air box and block off the holes in the fire wall that originally supply then. The Toyota blower fan unit has a fresh & recycle flap, the top of the blower box lines up close to the original hole where the air duct connects to the Torana fan. With the original inside plastic duct removed and A bit of foam it all matches up great. I use the choke cable to control the fresh/recycle flap. My hatch runs an electric choke so the cable was redundant and the SLR will be EFI so I will do the same. The only extra part you will notice is a small A/C push button switch that will bring in the compressor, I will also use a relay to bring in the slow fan speed when the button is pushed which will give my the four fan speeds. 

Hope that all makes sense.

G'day John, Good to hear from you, WOW a new Torana in the shed, looks like its in good nick mate. You will have to bring it round for a look. 

Yep booked into Toranafest again. Was hoping to take the SLR but pretty bloody sure it wont be ready in time so I have booked in the hatch again this year.

See you there.

Lenny.     

#119 _toranajohn_

_toranajohn_
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:39 AM

yea ill give u a ring but u got your hands full with this one at the moment ,the black one was ok  but  hey this one drives brand new and always wanted another white one ,maybe able to cruise up to the fest together .sorry my pic was so big was trying to put it on the side with my black one 

Edited by toranajohn, 30 June 2013 - 12:41 AM.

#120 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:27 PM

Step 3,

I drilled two holes in the file wall and inserted 2x flare nuts to mount the blower & evaporator, then reconfigured the wiring harness and fitted a new plug to suit the four speed fan.

Attached File  262.JPG   66.3K   29 downloadsAttached File  263.JPG   71K   32 downloads

Then you can install the unit assemble and connect the three air delivery hoses into the torana air box.

The vent control can be left standard except I mounted the four speed fan switch and piggy backed an extra Torana heater cable to operate the new heater tap. The photo on the right showing the extra hole drilled to take the smaller inlet pipe. When the original engine side plastic fan cowl is fitted there is just enough clearance to fit the high pressure pipe connection,

Attached File  270.JPG   68.06K   24 downloadsAttached File  269.JPG   66.19K   31 downloads

Attached File  torana 328.JPG   355.38K   33 downloads

Its a bit hard to see in the photo below but the fresh air duct hole almost lines up with the Toyota fan blower box. I will make a plastic plate and fit some foam to ensure that there are no air leaks.

Attached File  266.JPG   59.41K   21 downloadsAttached File  264.JPG   69.55K   27 downloads

I carn't do much more with the A/C until I start fitting out the car after paint.

#121 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:05 PM

To give me the extra space needed to clear the E.F.I rail. I know there is 101 ways to modify the air duct cowl but this is my version. I cut out a V in the heater box cowl and plastic welded it which gives me an extra 1 1/4 more clearance and that's all I needed. I will use a fraction of filler on the outside and paint it black. It plastic welded very easy and when finished you won't pick the difference unless you put an unmodified one next to it.

I should have taken a photo showing the cut but didn't have the camera handy.

Attached File  DSC00337.JPG   63.96K   26 downloads

Attached File  DSC00338.JPG   60.28K   23 downloads

Attached File  DSC00339.JPG   60.58K   24 downloads

Attached File  DSC00340.JPG   60.26K   23 downloads

Attached Files

#122 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
  • Name:Stinga
  • Car:HD Holden ute, and sedan, UC torana

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:10 PM

nice job on the heater duct

#123 _toranajohn_

_toranajohn_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:01 PM

hello lenny what,s the latest on the boys  torry 

#124 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:51 AM

G'day John,

Still waiting for the boy to finish the body work so I can send it out for paint. It only need around 8-10 hours to finish it off , He has had 14 months to do it and I can't do much till he finishes his bit. If he doesn't get back on to it in the next four weeks I will just have to send it to a panel shop and keep the ball rolling. I have done most of the body work so far but I am not confident in getting the last bit right, those fine little ripples, the part that really count when you look down the side after paint and they show up. It needs a professional not a mechanic, the son has the touch but unfortunately not me.    

#125 _toranajohn_

_toranajohn_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:05 PM

hey, Lenny just got back from 30 days in the states , but unfortunately wont be going to torana fest as the entries closed on the 23 august  for inside and i was away and forgot to pre enter ,and the boats are on at windsor anyway , so maybe next year  hope u and the missus have a great time up there .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users