torana_nick

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Name:Nick
  • Car:LH Torana Project

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:44 PM

hey guys its been a while since my last update actually almost 4 months lol this Melbourne weather does not give me much motivation to dig into it
but i have had a few solid days on the car and lately and i have got a few things done.. i ended up trowing out the old rare spares rad support and buying an aussie restos one the fitment wasn't great but with abit of hammer and dolly work it finally got welded in. i still have to clean up the welds on it but it all fits well with the nose cone and bonnet catch :) also i have attacked the skirt where the charcoal canister is and the seal on the bottom of the guard. a few more spots to fix plenuim and the rear windscreen where the owner has done some realy bad repair, and then the body is done with leaving me with some badly rusted doors to fix lucky me :)
check out some pics

bonnet hinge section tacked in
Posted Image

rad support in
Posted Image

seal rust converted ready to weld in patch

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And that's my update guys.. hopefully over the next few weekends i can get some more work done..

cheers
nick

#102 _toranatime_

_toranatime_
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:48 AM

looks good mate, it's getting there and it looks as though your getting the hang of welding. just wondering how much gas flow do you have? it looks as though you could turn the gas up more probably around 10-15 litres a minute should be good. keep up the good work :spoton:

cheers

#103 torana_nick

torana_nick

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:37 AM

Cheers mate, getting there very slowly I still can't see the light at the end I the tunnel lol
With the gas flow when I done the bonnet hinge section I was going off the regulator where is sed "mig" on it witch
Is around 30-40 I found out later that it was way to much almost triple of what I needed. I think I just started using 10-12
And I am getting a much better weld. Welding is the biggest challenge I have ever done and I am pretty hands on bloke..
It's getting there slowly though but I think a auto darkening helmet is on my wish list next..

Cheers
Nick.

#104 _baddad_

_baddad_
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:04 AM

Hi Nick

Looking good. I see you got he radiator support sorted out. Yep country Vic weather as good as Melbourne does not inspire a lot of work. How is the motor rebuild going?

cheers

#105 torana_nick

torana_nick

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:58 AM

Hey mate, yea I had to bash into shape though that's for sure.. I still need to buy a small belt sander to clean up the welds but it will get there.
Motor is pretty much in the corner of the garadge surrounded by crap I need to make room and strip it to send away for rebuild. Hopfully I can do all that before Xmas...

#106 _a.vas_

_a.vas_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

seal rust converted ready to weld in patch

Posted Image

was a bit of a pain that section! just remember to trial fit the gaurd before you fully weld it in
keep up the good work, looking very nice :)

#107 torana_nick

torana_nick

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:04 PM

thanks mate yea it did need a little hammer work but fits up nice now.. :)

#108 _toranatime_

_toranatime_
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

How's the LH going? Any updates?
I would strongly reccomend you get your self an auto darkening helmet and it will make welding seem much less daunting and easier, especially stop start welding which you use on panels. I have a Lincoln and a Miller helmet and both are great.. and expensive haha. But i am using mine every day. A cigweld WIA or unimig helmet would probably be great for about a $100.
The car really does look great, i can't wait to see the body work finished. If you keep it up it will look tops.

Cheers

#109 torana_nick

torana_nick

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

hey mate not much updates to be honest, i welded the skirt in the bonnet and the small peace under the seal.. haven't completely finished them yet.
i did buy a auto darkening helmet, best investment i ever made makes welding allot easier..
the car is actually tucked in the corner of the garage i haven't touched it for a while. i did say to my self ill get stuck into it once my back yard is complete that way i can get my msz of my back. that's nearly done so now i want to really get stuck into it i want to finish the rust prep and paint under car and then send it to a panel shop :) things will move then.

#110 _Greavezy_

_Greavezy_
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:55 PM

Hey mate, Your project seems to be coming along pretty nice. Cleaning up pretty nicely. Im in the same boat as you, first car resto. and you seem to be doing a great job.

Just wondering, for your paint removal and you just using the graffiti removal disks you can pick up from bunnings? on just a 4inch grinder? I havnt started stripping on any big panels because im worried about heat and warping panels.

Thanks, keep up the good work.
Matt

#111 torana_nick

torana_nick

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

Thanks Matt, i only used the strip discs in the engine bay as it was hard to get into places
On larger panels I used paint stripper to remove the majority and then I hit it with 60grit on the orbital.
Others on here use 36grit on a large 7" grinder but you have to be very carful not to keep it in one spot for a long time as it creates alot of heat.
If I was doing it all over again I would blast the lot.

#112 _Greavezy_

_Greavezy_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

Thanks Matt, i only used the strip discs in the engine bay as it was hard to get into places
On larger panels I used paint stripper to remove the majority and then I hit it with 60grit on the orbital.
Others on here use 36grit on a large 7" grinder but you have to be very carful not to keep it in one spot for a long time as it creates alot of heat.
If I was doing it all over again I would blast the lot.

Alright, thanks mate. Yea i would love to blast it just cant afford to. Yea i was thinking of buying a 7" multi speed polisher/buffer but was still worried about heat, might do what you do it get the paint stripper out.

#113 torana_nick

torana_nick

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

hey guys small update.. while on part holidays and my back yard all finished! i got some work done on the torana.
i had to finish off all the welds in the engine bay and weld in the bonnet hinge plates. with them dumied in place i put all the hang on panels on and everything seemed ok so i plug welded them in. i forgot to take photos as i was exited things where coming along. then first time ever mixing up 2k paint or painting.. i epoxy primed the bay. looking like a car sort of. and i also stone guarded the inner guards. my repairs need a skim of filler then hoping to high fill the engine bay.
i was wondering whats the GO with painting 2k at home? as i am hoping to paint the engine bay my self just to save on some panel shop costs.
some pics.

i forgot what it looked like with panels on

Posted Image

Posted Image

ill upload a few more pics later on

#114 torana_nick

torana_nick

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

Posted Image

#115 hawk

hawk

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts
  • Name:steve
  • Car:UC Torana

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

Been waiting for an update looks really good. Front pannels dont look too bad

#116 torana_nick

torana_nick

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

Thanks mate, it's been slow so far but I think once I get back from my holiday I am gonna get stuck
Into it hopefully progress will start showing. :)
Panels where just on to see that I had the bonet hinge plate in the right spot. I done pretty well with the measurements.

#117 _toranatime_

_toranatime_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

Great job mate, it looks tops :)

Cheers

#118 _Emu_

_Emu_
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

Any updates Nick?

#119 torana_nick

torana_nick

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

Nothing major at this stage, small amount of filler work done in the engine bay where the rust was fixed behind the hinges, pretty much upto the stage where it's ready to be hi filled. Also been wrestling with some small rust holes on the drives side seal. A few more rust sports I have to fix then the shell will be ready to be primed and sent off to the panel shop. I think I have locked in a colour ( turismo blue) same as the cv8 monaco. I think it will realy suit the era with a modern twist. Slow moving but hoping to see results soon! I realy want to be in it this xmas.

#120 _Emu_

_Emu_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

Yes. It's a nice colour. Similar to the old holden Aquarius. My first LX was that colour. Loved it :)

#121 torana_nick

torana_nick

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:29 AM

Update time! So I have had a bit of slow week with work and got stuck into it.
K frame out. Hard work by my self and I used 2 jacks instead of a engine crane that proved to be a challenge.
Made a trolley for her and off to the panel/paint shop she goes. I pretty much done most of the rust repairs only left the plenum and a couple more that
I just don't have the time to get to anymore. I was mento epoxy the entire car before it went but due to me expecting a baby in 4 months or so I didn't
Want to be painting with the wife around.. The car left me yeatrday and I am hoping to see it back in a few months.
Hopefully while the car is gone I can get stuck into the motor and k frame.
That's it for now ill keep an eye out for progress at the shop
And ill update as it happens.
Some pics

My collection after 14 months

353A2E6B-DF5D-4852-9D0F-9AE43B89FC61-150

K frame out

B064E394-F6E6-4B2D-86BE-25E70D0E446D-989

Waiting to get picked up.

7DB32DBD-77AF-430F-B257-4CE5AC1B43D0-195

And going

325B6D92-F271-41E8-93EB-0011644933EB-195

That's all for now hoping to see some realy progress soon.

#122 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

Hi Nick,

Cool build mate.

Congrats on what you've done so far - looks great.

I like your dog, looks a nice guy.

Congrats on the baby too :)

#123 hawk

hawk

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:18 PM

Wow its all coming along quickly now.

Looking good. If your rebuilding the front end try and get rubber bushes from kingswood country there well priced and imo the best around at the moment

#124 torana_nick

torana_nick

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:56 AM

Hi Nick,

Cool build mate.
Congrats on what you've done so far - looks great.
I like your dog, looks a nice guy.
Congrats on the baby too :)

Thanks mate getting there slowly. And the dog always is in the auction when working on the car.

Wow its all coming along quickly now.
Looking good. If your rebuilding the front end try and get rubber bushes from kingswood country there well priced and imo the best around at the moment

Cheers Steve, yeh it's happening but hopefully the completion comes quick as I've had enough of it sitting in the garadge.
Yeh front end will be getting redone with the hamburger kit I bought that a little while ago just have to get it stripped and all that.
I am not sure on what type of springs for ride hight to use though.

#125 hawk

hawk

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

Ive got some of those yellow lowered rear springs if your interested

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lh torana restoration rust, restoration, rust, lx torana

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users