8/70 RALLY RED LC GTR XU-1 REBUILD

The rebuild

• Please log in to reply
847 replies to this topic

#301 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:14 AM

Hi John.. your a clever man... Hows life up there treating you???

I like your idea... I might hitch a tow ball tongue to mine.. I have to get it around the corner to get beaten up... Was going to push on car trailer.. If I move at night, no coppers,, should be ok.. Ill have a hunt around as I dont have an old trailer handy..

Edited by mikecatts, 15 December 2012 - 08:15 AM.

#302 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

Hi all....
What a day,, Moving body shells from place to place..
My car is at the panel guys house, and I have a car to start for him..
He wants me to make the 4cyl into a 6 cyl.... Hes going to make a drag car for his son.. So no rego and no shonky deals... Im happy with that..
It will never be on the raod as a regoed car... So nothing illegal..

The 4cyl coupe is not to bad in the rust department and the LC front section is in unbelievable good condition..Only a Little rust in the front beaver..easy fix...A-pilars etc are excellant..

I do know trhat the 4cyl chassis rails and the 6 cyl chassis rails are slighly different in measurements.. We are going to put some reinforcing along the chassis rails to take the V8, 350cu... so we dont think it will matter... Its 15mm either side...
Im going to bolt a 6cyl diff in the rear of the 4cyl... I have to change the front rear A-arm supports... And the bumpstops..no problem... Looking at the manual..The floor pans are the same.. So It wont be a problem.

The car itself isnt too bad The rust in the usual placers.. At least I dont have to do the A-pillars.. Prick of a job...
Im looking forward to the challenge...
And

I should have my old girl back in 3 weeks or so..I would like this car done by then to trade back...
Then I have 2 paid rust fixes.... The way people keep asking me to fix their cars.. Im thinking of leaving work and doing this..... I have a few to do if I want them.. Just rust, no panel beating/painting..
Ill think about it..

Do you guys think I should start a new thread for this build????

Mike

#303 debkar

debkar

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Car:1971 LC 2 Door

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

Hi Mike

I think you should, I'd be keen to see how it goes

Regards Simon

#304 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

Agree. Would be interested to see your work on this project. Based on what you've done with your XU1 the drag car should be highly achievable.

Now the XU1 has been sent off for final beating how many hours did it end up consuming?

Many would have thrown the car away and it's been great to watch your skills resurrect such a challenging vehicle.

#305 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:28 AM

simple answer is to cut and shut the to together mate.
if you need any help i have pm my number to you.

cheers gong

#306 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:34 PM

Agree. Would be interested to see your work on this project. Based on what you've done with your XU1 the drag car should be highly achievable.

Now the XU1 has been sent off for final beating how many hours did it end up consuming?

Many would have thrown the car away and it's been great to watch your skills resurrect such a challenging vehicle.

Hi Craig..Ta for the kind words.. It was a challenge,
But what else is there to do over winter :)
It wont be thrown away now, and hopefully in 3 weeks it will be back, straight.. Hes promised "show" condition..Cant wait. I was there last night doing final fit of doors and raer side windows for gaps.. we adjusted doors really well, gaps are sooo much better now that we locked in the hinge pins, no slop at all..

I done a quick estimate today on how long it took to do the repairs.. I added 8hours per day, 4 days a week since april this year.. Being very conservative on the hours I spent.. I spent a LOT more than that, more like 10 hours 6 days a week. but me being a novice and all, and using what tools /items I had at hand... It worked out to about 900 odd hours.. Say at $30 per hour..=$27000.... A bloody lot of cash.... Half the value of my car... Not including any materials used.. expensive toy if you had to pay..

Ive started the LC4 to 6..
Ive put the front section on the Rotisserie.. Drilled the floor ..Im keeping the floor as it has no rust at all... Now to take offf the centre chasis rails and leave the front rails on.. All sills/ A-pillars, cowls kickers etc are good no rust at..
Its unusual for me to see a non rusty Torana , as all Ive seen is rust, rust rust..

I stripped the 4cyl as well.... Floors are good, sills are stuffed, inner sills are good..Ill unpick these and keep.. not much rust.. Bargain for $200.
Out of this shell.. I can keep the metal dash panel, Right and left A-pillars ,RH sill end. Fixable LH sill end, window cowl, inside kickers panel.
Ill post pics later..

Mike

Edited by mikecatts, 18 December 2012 - 09:35 PM.

#307 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:05 PM

I done a quick estimate today on how long it took to do the repairs.. I added 8hours per day, 4 days a week since april this year.. Being very conservative on the hours I spent.. I spent a LOT more than that, more like 10 hours 6 days a week. but me being a novice and all, and using what tools /items I had at hand... It worked out to about 900 odd hours.. Say at $30 per hour..=$27000.... A bloody lot of cash.... Half the value of my car... Not including any materials used.. expensive toy if you had to pay..

Big cost and more to come with paint but at least now the car is on a pathway to being saved. Without you being able to do it yourself it would have surely been lost as at shop rates that is a huge financial commitment - maybe three times the dollars of what you have estimated above.

Well done. When its complete make sure that you post a picture of the smile on your face :)

Edited by CraigA, 18 December 2012 - 10:09 PM.

#308 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:28 AM

mike you better do your sums again mate because $30 a hour is what people were getting paid in the late 90s, a good metal man will cost you at leased $55 an hour.

on another note 900 hours dont in clued you sitting there thinking what she will look like finished haheha
you have done a great job mate and saved your self shit loads of cash.

now get some pics up of this covert
cheers gong

#309 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:02 AM

Yeah keep going Mike your doing well.Doing it yourself not only saves you a shit load but gets you to know every inch of your car and the satifaction that you know what has been done.Putting aside my hours that I spent on my XU when I did it, the prep and paint owes me just over 7k.So the more you do yourself the more you save.
Cheers Dane

Edited by sunburst73-xu1, 19 December 2012 - 06:02 AM.

#310 _Linesy_

_Linesy_
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

Hi Linesy.. Ta for that..Hows NZ treating you?

Always good here mate, Be nice if there was a few more of these cars floating around. There is some pretty neat ones but finding bits/parts cars is a bit of a struggle.

Looking forward to seeing progress on the 4-6 conversion.

Merry Xmas

#311 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:21 AM

Hi all... As requested.. Some pics of the 4-6 conversion...

I stipped both shells.. The 4cyl is in pretty good nick.. Not too much rust and the rear parcel/window has no rust at all....
Floor has a little hole and boot area.. Its surprisingly good..

The 6 front is perfect, no rust, just surface rust... The sill ends are intact.. Bargain for $250..

I drilled out the spots on the 6 front, took out floor... The floor panel is in really good condition..Ill keep that for another job.. Ill take off the centre chassis rail after I seperate the 4cyl.. Going to do that today...

Guys, compared to my XU-1.. This is easy... a little work... But how much would it have cost me to get my car panel beaten... Me thinks Ive done well..

Ill keep posting..

On another note.. Chriss, the panel guy showed me how his car puller works.. We hooked it up to the damaged LJ front.. It pulled it no problems.. He said if he took his time, he could of got it straight... Has opened up some new dorrs this gadjet :).. Ill post a vid of it in action..Its pretty cool .

Mike

#312 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

More pics

#313 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:55 AM

mike you better do your sums again mate because $30 a hour is what people were getting paid in the late 90s, a good metal man will cost you at leased $55 an hour.

on another note 900 hours dont in clued you sitting there thinking what she will look like finished haheha
you have done a great job mate and saved your self shit loads of cash.

now get some pics up of this covert
cheers gong

I hear you John.. I was being conservative about my estimates.. And yes, You are corretc.. Many hours pondering with my mate "wally"..:)

#314 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

Yeah keep going Mike your doing well.Doing it yourself not only saves you a shit load but gets you to know every inch of your car and the satifaction that you know what has been done.Putting aside my hours that I spent on my XU when I did it, the prep and paint owes me just over 7k.So the more you do yourself the more you save.
Cheers Dane

Hi dane.. I know my XU-1 inside and out, litterly.. And yes..Im confidet that ALL the rust has one and wont come back.. I could not be sure if I paid someone..

Big cost and more to come with paint but at least now the car is on a pathway to being saved. Without you being able to do it yourself it would have surely been lost as at shop rates that is a huge financial commitment - maybe three times the dollars of what you have estimated above.

Well done. When its complete make sure that you post a picture of the smile on your face :)

Hi Craig.. I have had a silly smile on my face since it went to my panel mates home.. Knowig it should be back in 3 weeks.. Cant wait..

#315 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

Not much left of the LJ now... Note ALL the rust sections in the back.. ALL original LC GTR XU-1 parts..

I have cut off the rear front trailing arm mounts as they have to go on the 4-6 job.. I also will need the hand brake brackets as well....

I have outlined where Im going to unpick the 4cyl to join..

Edited by mikecatts, 20 December 2012 - 10:12 AM.

#316 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

Hi all...
Today I managed to get the 4cyl apart... Worked out well and the floor only has 2 small rust areas.. Ill clean up tomm and start joining..
This doesnt really seem too hard.. Im going to hang the doors to get gaps etc, Ill attach a rolling front end with rims and the rear end in, on rims make some blocks for it to sit level.... I have measured the front window gaps and made some jigs...
Ill measure 3-5 times.. sit and think way before any cutts...

I will take my time and get right.. Making sure I do stagger welds for strength.... Being on holidays.. It will make it easier.. Pitty Im going to waste them doing this car, It will be worth it though..

Im a bit pissed.. I thought I could use the dash panel for my car..after cleaning.. Its rusty on the RH top edge and lip is gone.. Ill see if I can fix, if not.. Oh well.. Ill find one..

next time.

#317 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:32 PM

mike dont forget to change the fuel line metal retainer tab that is on the under floor of the 6 to the 4cyl, have a gig you will see what im talking about, your doing great there mate, not quit the way i would have tackeled it, but should still work out fine.

cheers gong

#318 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:05 PM

mike dont forget to change the fuel line metal retainer tab that is on the under floor of the 6 to the 4cyl, have a gig you will see what im talking about, your doing great there mate, not quit the way i would have tackeled it, but should still work out fine.

cheers gong

Hi John.. The fuel lines are out now I dont know wht his plans are.. Ill tell him anyway....Ta for that.. The floor being in soo good nick..I thought this was the way..If it was rusty..I would of done different..

#319 debkar

debkar

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:00 AM

Hi Mike

Brilliant work as usual, looking forward to the next update

Regards Simon

#320 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

Hi all... Guys... Im wanting to get some repaire work... If I can book some future work.. i will do this full time... Im not interested in making heaps of cash.. More like a paid hobby :).... I wont charge heaps... Just enough to keep me alive..
I have 2 more toran jobs after this..Then an XB rust.. then nothing...
Mike

#321 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

Hi all... Look what I picked up for nothing.. A 4cyl LC 2 door.. It has been cut to bits.. But I can/will use the wondow cowl ends. The centre of the window cowl..The rear parcel is in good nick except for a small hole, easy fix, the roof and most important for me is a GOOD dash. .with no rust.. at last.. Im happy :)

The bozzo cut through some very good A-pillars and end sills.. Oh well...

Bargain for nothing.. will scrap when finnished with.. any one want any bits???
Mike

#322 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:26 PM

Hi all... Merry Christmas and all that...

Ive gotten a bit closer to the "join".. Ive mounted a front end on, have unpicked the inner sills and exposed it ready for welds.. Ive got to get level. do the string thing to get wheels/ chassis in line, Then slowly intoduce to each other, checking measurements ALL the time.. I have a window and doors to hang/place for gaps, etc..
I have to replace the rusty RH middle chasis support section.. I was going to tack on the front, then introduce to rear..will be easier and more accurate...

I picked up another LC yesterday.. $200.. Its a 4 door ..A-pillars are fine, sill panel is fine, rear parcel is good, end sills are excellant, window cowl is salvagable, doors are good and now I know I can use a floor pan..its good as well...I do ned the window drip rails for my current project.. Its really too good a car to chop.......but for bits and pieces I need or will need, I will.....

Lucky I live alone or the missus would crack up. .as it is, she knows I have been collecting and isnt happy..

Ive accumilated 8 pairs of 2 door , doors, including mine.. some ok some not ok.. But ALL fixable..

Looks like Im going to be doing Toranas for a bit.. I got a phone call yesterday asking about repairs.... so my $200 investment will be used..

Have a good break all.. You know what Im up too.

Mike

#323 debkar

debkar

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:57 AM

Hi Mike

Good pick up for $200 , you'd get that for the uncut back parcel shelf.

Best of luck with your repairs work, having seen the quality, I think you'll have no problems getting jobs to do.

Regards Simon

#324 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

Hi Mike

Good pick up for $200 , you'd get that for the uncut back parcel shelf.

Best of luck with your repairs work, having seen the quality, I think you'll have no problems getting jobs to do.

Regards Simon

Ta Simon.... Yes Im getting a collection... Im going to fix all the rear parcels/ A-pillars/ end sills and sell.... I need to buy paint..
Im starting to take orders.. 2 booked in after the 2 Im doing.. I have 3 months work so far...

#325 debkar

debkar

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

Hi Mike

Great to hear, word will spread very quickly about your work and dedication,

Looking forward to many more pictures of the cars you repair,

Regards Simon