8/70 RALLY RED LC GTR XU-1 REBUILD

The rebuild

• Please log in to reply
847 replies to this topic

#251 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

Computer/internet is playing silly buggers..here we go again..

#252 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

Mike,

I keep looking at these photos of the kitchen and think I'm playing " where's wally " . Cannot see any " hong kong fury" in this one. lol !

you know what they say " happy wife happy life " and in your case happy girlfriend !

grant

#253 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

Mike,

I keep looking at these photos of the kitchen and think I'm playing " where's wally " . Cannot see any " hong kong fury" in this one. lol !

you know what they say " happy wife happy life " and in your case happy girlfriend !

grant

Hi Grant.. Hows the green machine going?
Looks like you didnt miss too much at Bathurst.. Im my opinion, you would of broke you balls for nothing...

I put "wally" in the cupboard.. I made sure he was hidding this time :)....
Cant show all my secrets...

Ive been promising a kitchen makeover for a while... We bought "the worst house in the best street".... for a bargain. It needs work... Structurally sound old asbestos home.. The bathrooms done, Kitchens done.. Needs 2 rooms done and Floors tiled.. Ill do that at Christmas.. Then Reclad before the new asbestos laws come in..
Will be worth quite a bit when done as its a largish block close to Semaphore beach..
Yep shes happy, and she likes to cook as well, so its not a waste of time..

We want to buy a house on the esplanlade, so when the pricers are right and this house is done, we will sell both our homes and buy one.. Together our homes will be worth about 1.2mill.... I want a winabago and she wants the house.... I want to travel Aus and fish.
Well thats the 5 year plan anway...

Im hanging to get back to the car.. Weather is good for paint stripping and undecoating.. I want that done soon so I can start panel beating.. I would like some colour on before christmas, Then while its hardning (being acrylic), ill do my girls home.. Should only take 4-6weeks to complete.

Grant.. would you know what spare wheel bracket i use in the boot?
I have the 2 and im thinking the large on towards the front needs to go???

Im thinking this set-up????

Next time..

#254 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

thats the one you need to keep mate, the kitchen looks great,,, mike when you go back to the era of these cars mate it was the hippee 70s with the old acid heads and tripsters so i would not worry about wally has that was once the reson why alot of people moved to adelaide...

cheers gong the bong

#255 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

thats the one you need to keep mate, the kitchen looks great,,, mike when you go back to the era of these cars mate it was the hippee 70s with the old acid heads and tripsters so i would not worry about wally has that was once the reson why alot of people moved to adelaide...

cheers gong the bong

Hi John

I was a kid in those days.. I missed out:)..
It does explain why there are soo many "air heads" in Adelaide :)...
SA is not what it used to be.. Too many ex hippies.. LOL...

"Wally" does get around, doesnt he, keeps the chat up and helps with rebuilding things...

#256 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

Hi all..

Im Back to the important thing, the rebuild... My little side adventure with "Wally" and the kitchen is done for now..:) and shell leave me alone for a bit, she has her new toy..
I undercoated the engine bay with epotec 408, then a slight skim of bogg to get nice.. Then a coat of 408 and all done.. Looks good and you wouldnt know i fixed the battery area..
I also patched the RAD panel.. I filled the LJ holes, a slight skim of bog.. and now an LC, not sure about the bumper bracket hole as Ide like to put an LJ one on.. a bit stronger, Ill think about it.
I also got rid of the rust on my so called new front vallance.. Never heard back from them..

Im not to happy with under the front window cowl/heater area.. After sandblasting there are holes.. And heres me bragging "no more rust".... The last bit, I promise.. Im thinking of changing that whole panel. The donor LJ is fine and looks easy, but fiddley... For piece of mind Im going to do it.. If I dont it will come back and haunt me.
Plus I can sandblast in the cowl area, rust proof/paint.. Its a major rust area of the toranas....

After going to the SA torana day.. Im keen to get done, Ide like to show off.... I should after ALL this work..
I met some nice people, seems car heads are easy going people who share a common interest.. I like... and the census is.."Im either mad or very keen to do what ive done".. Ide say the first one:).....

next time
Mike

#257 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

Hi all.....

Finally got the front RAD support/ vallance on..
I put the bonnet back on to make sure all was lined up.. No problems, alls good..
Clamped/ teched the RAD in place then plug welded where the techs were, plus some more.. Worked out very well... It didnt line up 100%, I assume the repo panel isnt quite right.. Its 98% there.. Im happy.

I painted weld through zince primer before spot welding the bottom vallance on. I made sure to zinc coate inside to stop any future rust.. was easy and quick.. and looks good. Ill clean the welds up later, isnt too much to do as they turned out pretty neat.

I took off the heater panel from the LJ.. It looked nice on the car, when I took off, look at the rust.. Only know whats mine like !!
I will get to replacing mine with the cleaned up one later..

Next job is to clean up inside the front guards and get on..

Its good to be working on the car again..

Mike :)

#258 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

Hi Mike
Geeze your doing a top job,it is great to see another one getting saved.
Them Repo Radiator support panels must all been made to suit the later LJ models for the bigger bumper bar brackets.Are you going to just use the bigger brackets or are you using the earlyer smaller brackets???
Again top job. :spoton:
cheers Dane

#259 debkar

debkar

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Car:1971 LC 2 Door

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:37 PM

Brilliant work Mike, watching the build with great interest,

Regards Simon

#260 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:29 AM

Hi Mike
Geeze your doing a top job,it is great to see another one getting saved.
Them Repo Radiator support panels must all been made to suit the later LJ models for the bigger bumper bar brackets.Are you going to just use the bigger brackets or are you using the earlyer smaller brackets???
Again top job. :spoton:
cheers Dane

Hi Dane..
Ta for that..
Yep all the repo RAD panels are for the LJ.. I want to use the bigger LJ brackets.. If I can find some :).. If not.. Ill weld a patch in as I dont want it open as its a dirt trap..

#261 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:32 AM

Brilliant work Mike, watching the build with great interest,

Regards Simon

Hi Simon...
Yes its getting there slowly.... Ill fix the guards today and attach... I would like to buy new repo ones, But having no luck with quality repo panels that fit.. Ill go with my smelly original ones and fix up... For $500 a piece for a panel that wont fit.. Ill give the repo guards a miss....

I do have 2 LC fronts I can get the guards off if I want.. Ill see how mine go first..
Next time

Mike

#262 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

Hi all... Im glad its Friday..

I got a chance this arvo to fix the RH guard.. I welded up the spot drill holes and leaded up the edge that meets the cowl.. Came up well and Ill get closer when final fitting, its need to come in more... Im wanting no gap as per original...
I would not of attempted with bog of any kind to do this. Lead is the only thing other than welds..

The LH one needs some attention as well...
Il do that Sunday... Then clean the inside and on they go...

Mike

#263 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

Hi all.... No woman this weekend, time for the car :)

Ive made a patch for the front bottom LH guard..
All I did was cut and weld/dolly over a good guard.. I didnt want to cut up a good guard just for a piece., also the original guard fits well.
Ill save the guard for another day..
It took a while, is worth it and it turned out well..
Ill weld in place when the LH guard is in its final place.. That way it will fit properly...

Progress when there are no distractions...

Next time.
Mike

#264 _Linesy_

_Linesy_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:20 AM

Top Effort! You are doing a great job Mike, am following with interest.

Edited by Linesy, 12 November 2012 - 06:20 AM.

#265 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:48 PM

Top Effort! You are doing a great job Mike, am following with interest.

Hi Linesy.. Ta for that..Hows NZ treating you?

#266 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

Hi all....

I got around to Sandblasting and undercoating inside the LH & RH front guards and underneath front inner guards today.. Took a while..

My little sanblast pot keeps running out of sand.. Had to refill 7 times.... I swept up the sand and put aside to clean and reuse.. The pot works well, but you go through nozzles, I used 3 today and 60 kilo of sand (2 bags).. Ive found a new nozzle is best as it keeps the blast pattern close and uses less air/sand.

Now I can get to putting the guards back on.. At long last... :)

Next time

Mike

#267 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

Hi all....
Got the LH guard end patch on...
Was a fidley piece to weld in place.. I had to set up the trusty fence strainer to pull the guard in a bit ( a porta power thingy would be nice ) . Pop rivet in place to hold.. Then cut and welded the usual way.. Looks good.. Will final finnish after primer is on.

Ive been stuffing around with trying to line the guards up with nice even gaps.. Took all arvo, and Im back to where I started. With the guards off...
I wasnt happy with the gaps, etc.. I got the bonnet gaps nice, The RH cowl gap bugged me, until the old guy done some tweeking to show me how to fit... I need to actually weld in place and fit as I go, using the bonnnet as my guide as we set it up.. As my old mate says, He droped over for a look.. I have to start from the cowl inner and work my way down the guard to the bottom, Keeping door to guard gap nice.. Then weld on to inner guard.. I will need and extra pair of hands for this me thinks, with some swearing and cursing no doubt.... Im being fussy as I dont want gaps o the guard cowl area.. As per original fitting.

I cleaned up and painted the front inner sheil piece's.. I went to the local rubber store for the rubber.. Looks like the original piece.. I couldnt staple as per nos.. so I pop riveted.. easy and works.

Edited by mikecatts, 14 November 2012 - 07:17 PM.

#268 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

Hi all...
Havnt had too much time for the car last few days..
I got a chance to seam seal under the front guards and engine bay area.. Making sure to do every seam/join
I wiped over with wax/grease remover while wet to smooth out.. Works well..

I finally started to get the guards back on.. I panel bonded and welded the first bit on.. The panel bond seal's as well as bonds.. Its good stuff. :)
I havnt too many vice grips.. so a little at a time..
Worked out well and gaps are good.. Now to weld to inner guard.. Ill do that later..

Next time
Mike

#269 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:13 PM

Love watching this project Mike. Lots of effort but there's a Rally Red induced smile at the end of it all.

#270 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:00 PM

Love watching this project Mike. Lots of effort but there's a Rally Red induced smile at the end of it all.

Thats the idea.. :)

#271 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

Hi all....
Havnt had much time for the car latley.. Work and the missus has found more projects for me.. Got to keep them both happy..

Anyway..
I have been stuffing around trying to get even gaps all around the bonnet area... No matter what I do "One area" is always out a little.. Ive got 6mm on all areas except the drivers side cowl end/bonnet corner... Its 8mm.... I dont know If im being fussy.. Its as close as I can get... You cant really tell.. I notice as Ive been staring/stuffing around with this area for a while now.. Its a prick of a job getting right... I can only move guards, nose cone sooo much...
The cowl to guard tops turned out great.. nice and tight gaps... The door gaps are even all around both sides... Just that one little bit....

I test fitted my very poor grill/headlight surrounds.. All is straight in that department... They are on the shopping list, At the moment they are worth gold... Too dear for me, not paying those silly prices for them... Ill find them "cheap" one day...
Im going to sleep on the position of the gaps and try again tomm.. I do know Ill end up with the same...
Another day wont hurt though..

Any thoughts guys????

A little closer...
Mike

#272 debkar

debkar

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Car:1971 LC 2 Door

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

Hi Mike

Great work, I've seen a lot of original Toranas with much worse gaps than that.

I know you like it all to be perfect and I reckon you'll get it as close as you like, we'll done

Regards Simon

#273 _BARRY JACKPOT_

_BARRY JACKPOT_
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

Don't make it too good big guy you won't want to drive it.

#274 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

Hi Mike

Great work, I've seen a lot of original Toranas with much worse gaps than that.

I know you like it all to be perfect and I reckon you'll get it as close as you like, we'll done

Regards Simon

Hi Simon..
Ill get as close and as even as I can... My trouble is I have no other cars to go by, Ill get as good as I can..
Mike

Don't make it too good big guy you won't want to drive it.

Hi Chriss... How you been?

"I LIKE TO DRIVE"......

Just not in the rain :)

#275 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

Hi All....

I finally made my mind up and welded the front guards on.. I manged to close the 8mm gap to 7mm... Not to bad for an amature, who stashes "wally" some times :)....

What a job welding it on though.. I used the spot welder where I could and had to plug weld the rest... More bloody grinding.. Ill go and borrow my brothers 10mm air linnisher..Will be sooo much easier to grind in the channel..

I had to make some patches for the nose cone as it was crappy and I wasnt happy with the metal...

All in all I think the panel repairs turned out ok... The rust is done.... Just some little things to finnish.. Then clean the old paint off.... About time to...

Will finnish the front off this weekend as no missus to visit.. shes out... Time for the car :)

Next time
MIke

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users