Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Name:Mort
  • Car:74 LH SL/R 4.2, 75 LH 4 door 186
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:31 PM

Gong that is a tempting offer :spoton:, i have a sedan sitting here but unfortunately i don't have the funds to go ahead with it :lol:.

Maybe when i win the lotto.

#52 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:48 AM

slr_v8

How much to build it, I've got an LH roller here lol

Mort

Gong that is a tempting offer :spoton:, i have a sedan sitting here but unfortunately i don't have the funds to go ahead with it :lol:.

Maybe when i win the lottolottoarrow-10x10.png.

GONG

if i was to build this wagon up, it would be as a none rolling shell that way people could put there own touches to it,,, price would depend on how much the engineer charged and how many hours it took, if i could do all the metal work in my own time i would do that part of it just to say i have done it, the real money would come for the panel and paint,,, anyways mabe this could become my next project,,, thats if and when this dream is finished.

1973 LJ 2 door

cut down the middle then widen 200mm

Picture034_zps871c4cfd.jpg

fitted with a ht kingswood roof

Picture036_zps9d653255.jpg

ht kingswood front and rear screens

Picture048_zpsffa1eb11.jpg

Picturebigboyztoyz721_zps29af872e.jpg

Picturebigboyztoyz679_zps266d6014.jpg

most the big work is done

Picture1015_zpsf76fbf41.jpg

dont look that much bigger from this pic but its getting there

Picture1016_zpse89e55fc.jpg

if you own a lc or lj go out and add a 100mm to the rear wheel arch on each side with a tape and then you will see that last pic angel is note a true idea on what this car will look like when finished,,, the best way is if you look at the difference in the hole of the radiator support panel.

injoy before i delete

cheers gong

Edited by LONA-CK, 05 April 2014 - 05:53 AM.

#53 Davis

Davis

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Name:Drew
  • Car:LC 2 door

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:30 AM

Very impressive gong... Can't wait to see the finished product

#54 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

hey mick74lh: Made any progress on the rearshot?

Workin on it now. I should have something done soon.

#55 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:38 AM

Gong, that widened LJ project is impressive. I like your idea of building the Torana wagon conversion as a rolling shell and selling it sort of like a 'body in white'.

#56 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:48 PM

wow Gong...very impressive the skills you have mate

#57 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:28 PM

G'day John,

Its amazing what you have done to it,The engineering skills you certainly have put your mind too this project,it will be good to see the final product and registered on the road mate.

Regards John.

#58 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:54 PM

Needless to say, this is a fantastic discussion. Nice one Gong!

#59 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:15 AM

Rear 3/4 view: This is still with standard wheelbase and overall length. It would be more practical as a wagon if it was slightly longer but I reckon that would ruin the 'Torana-like' proportions. I'm thinking of this being proportionally similar to say a 1st gen Subaru WRX wagon.

Toranawagonrqedited1-Copy_zps635078f7.jp

#60 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:45 AM

Mort, here's your Mandarin Red one:

ToranawagonsideMandarin1-Copy_zpseb5d65d

#61 _barana_

_barana_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:24 PM

Rear 3/4 view: This is still with standard wheelbase and overall length. It would be more practical as a wagon if it was slightly longer but I reckon that would ruin the 'Torana-like' proportions. I'm thinking of this being proportionally similar to say a 1st gen Subaru WRX wagon.

Toranawagonrqedited1-Copy_zps635078f7.jp

I recon the length is purfect, any longer and it will be onger than a kinga.. its a wothy effort sir mick.love hw ya split the taillights.

I recon colour wise it looks like its missing something but idk whaT maybe rear blackouts. or an extra thick window rubber or something.Or s it just the lighter colour of the tailgate window?

top job mate!

NB:  maybe it needs a square vh-vk rubber to match the square lines of the torrie square window profiles maybe? like here http://4.bp.blogspot...00/IMG_5984.JPG

Edited by barana, 06 April 2014 - 12:28 PM.

#62 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:14 PM

Thanks Barana. I think you're right about the rear lacking something. I'll see what I can come up with.

#63 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:59 PM

The crooked line of the tailgate down the pillar annoys me. 

Apart from that, thats cool. 

#64 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:51 AM

sorry fellers been away all weekend with football.

thanks for your comments on my build,, and i will keep that out of this wagon thread.

here is the reason i think the wagon dont look right

Toranawagonrqedited1-Copy_zps09836121.jp

in the pic above the rear quarter window shape as changed and now looks like a added part to the build.

ToranawagonsideMandarin1-Copy_zps213f561

i love the roll of this window and the line down the hatch opening looks much better and i like the A9X bonnet scoop

cheers gong

#65 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:02 AM

G'day Gong, no problems showing us your build.

I've showed these drawings to a few of my mates and they've more or less said the same thing about the D-pillar not looking quite right. I'm going to edit the shape of the hatch and its panel edges a bit.

#66 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:48 AM

mate i think the wheels need to come down a inch or two in size,,, just to see what it would look like would be great

cheers gong

ToranawagonsideMandarin1-Copy_zps213f561

#67 _Slippo_

_Slippo_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:41 PM

I'm bout to start making a lx wagon I have a vh commodore wagon for all the parts I need

#68 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:29 AM

thats great to hear mate, keep us all up dated with heaps of pics and just remember when you get stuck you have us here to help, i am keen to have input and help in anyway, i love this sort of stuff....

the key is dont always think the first idear is the best

cheers gong

#69 Mort

Mort

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Name:Mort
  • Car:74 LH SL/R 4.2, 75 LH 4 door 186
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:53 AM

I can't wait for the build thread.......BRING IT ON...

#70 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:02 AM

Keen to see some pics once you get started on it Slippo. Would be a very cool build and get a shitload of attention at shows and on the street if done right.

Gong, when I get time again I might reduce the wheel sizes in the drawings and make a couple of the other changes mentioned to see how they look. How's the widened LC build going?

#71 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:26 AM

mick74lh

Gong, when I get time again I might reduce the wheel sizes in the drawings and make a couple of the other changes mentioned to see how they look. How's the widened LC build going?

LJ mate

5 steps forward and 4 steps back,,, you know dummy fit pull apart and then change something then dummy fit again.

i to cant wait to see this build take place,,, you know if it was not for the car im building atm this was im my pipeline.

cheers gong

#72 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:20 AM

Both of them will get a lot of double takes and wtf's I reckon.

It would be interesting to stand near the two cars at a show and listen to all the bullsh!t stories about how one has been imported from South Africa and one from Malaysia where those versions were exported back int the day and all the while knowing that you truly have a one of a kind vehicle.

I'm excited about both of these.

One bit of advice though, try not to make it look too much like a Commodore or a Gemini, you really just want to use that as your base and modify it to get as close to your drawings as you can cause they look sh!t hot!

#73 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:32 AM

I reckon I'd just leave the high lip above the taillights like a Hatchback to make it easy, and maybe not even worry about fold down rear seats if it's just for a family car. You could leave the rear bulkhead in place which would make the engineering side of it much simpler.

Save a lot of work and it would still be very useful for shopping and road trips etc.

#74 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Car:japos

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:09 AM

Lot of work and thought gone into this,looks nice.

Probably a bit of a drop in rim size would help and maybe even skinny up the drop tank a bit and maybe round

it out a bit to follow the profile of the rear end...very nice.

#75 _SmartE_

_SmartE_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:55 PM

Just going to throw these pics in. I have read a few you-tube remarks when americans see a Torana hatch, some of the comments are "is that chevy vega"

Beside the missing 2 doors the station wagon version (Cammback) I think it is pretty close to a Torana wagon.

Attached File  $(KGrHqN,!ikE-jB4o2IZBPtUG9Zrpw~~60_57.JPG   62.33K   6 downloads

Attached File  $T2eC16d,!y0E9s2S7)mtBRf00KM9T!~~60_57.JPG   137.79K   6 downloads 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users