1jz-2jz engine conversion into LC LJ Torana.

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#101 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Name:Maz
  • Car:72 LJ SL SEDAN.

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:54 PM

no .it has to be cut and moved over for more clearance,if i go lower with motor like gtr said and modify the kframe i dont think it will be a problem,as the sump is under steering rod,atm its just touching,but will need some clearance when motor revs

i will be going aspirated,a different setup, could have a prob with steering rubber melting because of extractors,rowy will tell ya,

#102 _000lj_

_000lj_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:11 AM

depends how you set it up with mounts as to how you are going to need to modify steering and depends on how far back you plan on
sitting the engine in the bay every one is diferent if you plan on cutting into the cross member be carful the code of conducts
says you cant fit an engine if major mods are needed to the structure of the car ie cross members and fire walls give your
engineer man a call before you get out the grinder, I have found the steering column needs to be moved inwards a bit not outwards like 90 percent of other
conversions this allows for more clearance for your exhaust because there isn't much room there to play with that's why I use
that rose joint my cross member is still original so also have to allow for torque twist of engine or else you have no steering
when your on the gas hope this explanation helped out a bit

#103 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:53 AM

I bought a 1jzgte engine yesterday, pick it up in the next few days.

#104 _000lj_

_000lj_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:22 PM

That's the go

#105 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:05 PM

thats good man, good stuff,what did that set you back get harness with it.

hey rowy,did you get a dude to make up wiring adaptor  plug from your xu1 harness into the jz harness,

#106 _000lj_

_000lj_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:17 PM

No I run the torana wiring harness for lights horn ect and the ecu runs its own deal I am just about to get the ecu then ill just wire it up myself I'm not using any original 1j wiring there is two power wires for the torana wiring one goes to fuse box other goes to ignition switch that runs all the car stuff then just need ignition power and battery power for ecu

#107 _000lj_

_000lj_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:21 PM

I think I might have a original diagram somewhere for the 1j if you get stuck, there is a lot of dead wires in the loom

#108 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:36 PM

Engine, atuo 126,000k with everything, no ecu, $700. Not bad price if it's a good runner, I'm told it is.

Glad I understand the wiring as that is the real easy bit. Going to strip the loom, cut out what's not needed.

#109 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:55 PM

same price i payed bud,got the ecu with everything,not too keen on wiring though,just got a bare xu1 dash with no harness. .bellhousing arrived yesterdy,bolts up perfect.just looked at a dry sump setup,they fix the clearance issuses big time but at a huge cost,over 4 grand lol

#110 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:53 PM

well i think i might be up the shit goin na-t with the ge,because of the higher comp,the gte gasket will work, the gte 1.3mm ,will be restricted to low boost,and detonation, i will be retaining the ge block with out oil squirters,there is 6 holes for squirters,ge has only one so im thinking lower oil pressure will be a prob ,they say 80psi comes out of them squirters pointing up under piston,now if you think of that imagine the piston tryin to go down against 80psi squirting up at you,would like to know what anyone has to say about that,if i go the ge head like i mentioned will be limited to boost,and then have to block off the ignition and run a crank trigger setup,this is startin to be a pain in the arse.so the blocks are identical minus squirters ,so is it the gte head i need or is there a difference in block height to ge block?to lower comp,ive read a little bit not much as i know stuff all on the mechanical side of things,

either i have to get a gte  ecu,or aristo ,and gte loom,and gte map sensor,coilpacks etc,or will i do what you did rowy piss off the wiring and then go after market ecu etc,

#111 _000lj_

_000lj_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:44 PM

well i think i might be up the shit goin na-t with the ge,because of the higher comp,the gte gasket will work, the gte 1.3mm ,will be restricted to low boost,and detonation, i will be retaining the ge block with out oil squirters,there is 6 holes for squirters,ge has only one so im thinking lower oil pressure will be a prob ,they say 80psi comes out of them squirters pointing up under piston,now if you think of that imagine the piston tryin to go down against 80psi squirting up at you,would like to know what anyone has to say about that,if i go the ge head like i mentioned will be limited to boost,and then have to block off the ignition and run a crank trigger setup,this is startin to be a pain in the arse.so the blocks are identical minus squirters ,so is it the gte head i need or is there a difference in block height to ge block?to lower comp,ive read a little bit not much as i know stuff all on the mechanical side of things,
either i have to get a gte  ecu,or aristo ,and gte loom,and gte map sensor,coilpacks etc,or will i do what you did rowy piss off the wiring and then go after market ecu etc,

hay hows your torana going?

#112 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:24 PM

hey rowy done stuff all mate,just trying to get all the stuff i need to when tory goes to an engineer to get heaps of shit done,will get him to do all the necessary things required to put this motor and box in +do all the fabrication to the rear end again,going to put a big booster in and get rid of dizzy so frees up room for the snail,was going to have a go but thought i might stuff it all up haha,she will going down the road soon ,will get him to take some pics and put in me build thread,

hows yours progressed

#113 _000lj_

_000lj_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:43 PM

yeah I now the feeling its 2 steps forward 1 step backwards at least it will be done right in the end, ours is to a stage now
where im wiring up the ecu and car just need fuel injectors,tank,lines,tranny coolers I work away so only work on it when
I get home im usually waiting on parts most of the time still need to sort out the diff and fix up the paint work but all
in good time hay our target is to have the engine running by easter then will sort the rear end out I have heaps of pics
ill have to put up at some stage

#114 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:20 PM

gee the list is getting bigger everytime i look.time will tell how long they stay open .

Here the prices for mounts and xmember.

Nice idea. Wonder what the pricing is going to be like?

38fd219a48dee2e99342ac2e27093eb4_zps35e8

#115 _Romper_

_Romper_
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:09 AM

Sorry to bump up a very old thread, but i am looking to do this conversion (2JZ & Powerglide) into my Torana.

Thought it would be better to bump up this that start again from scratch.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

#116 _71lc_1JZ_

_71lc_1JZ_
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:19 AM

been heaps done now mate

#117 _Romper_

_Romper_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2017 - 05:18 PM

After pics of the front end cutting or modding if possible without engine in so i know where to mod.

#118 _71lc_1JZ_

_71lc_1JZ_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2017 - 02:10 PM

lowered the rack for my 1JZ

Attached Files

#119 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 03:07 PM

Lowering the rack would alter the steering when turning or not?

#120 _71lc_1JZ_

_71lc_1JZ_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2017 - 03:12 PM

yes it will its called bump steer there is a big thread all about it. The rack has only been dropped 15 to 20mm I will look into different tie rod end to correct it at the other end

#121 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 06:33 PM

i thought It was called bump steer but couldn't remember the word for it.

#122 _Romper_

_Romper_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2017 - 03:21 PM

Are you using the front mounted or rear mounted sump 71lc_1JZ ?

What i want to know is where does the sump actually foul on the crossmember, and what needs to be cut or trimmed to get it in ?

#123 _71lc_1JZ_

_71lc_1JZ_
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:43 AM

im using front mount sump that will be have mods done to miss the cross member

As for what needs to be done unsure as I have a local guy that is doing the fab work for me he has already done 2J into LJ with front sump and cross member mods

#124 _Romper_

_Romper_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:21 AM

Ok going to speak with a fabricator & engineer in the next week or two to see what steps need to be done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users