#26 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:58 PM

Yes you change sprockets, front and rear to change characteristics without changing the engine internals. Hop onto one of the sportster forums, select your model year and there'll be thousands of posts about mods.

#27 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:11 PM

Sprockets can be changed with very little issue. If freeway is not where your heading there will be no need. They re relatively quick upto speed, just have trouble holding high speeds. So if that's not where your going, the bike should be fine. I've ridden with a few in a pack and they generally fine around town.

I'm not trying to profile anyone, nor am I trying to offend. Maybe it's the way I'm reading it, maybe it's not. Guess I'll never know

#28 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:13 PM

One thing i've noticed with mine, even though its chalk and cheese comparing a 90 1200 sportie to a 05 softail, is that it seems to be a bit overgeared. 

If i was going to go anywhere i would gear it down.

Case point, the last long roadtrip i did (1800km round trip) on it i found in filth it wanted to sit on 120kph, on back roads where i let it the fuel economy was brilliant, a touch under 5lt per 100km.

In heavilly policed 100kph zones i've found a good increase in fuel economy sitting in fourth.  About the same kinda economy. 

Sitting in fifth gear and holding it at 100kph generally returns about 6lt per 100.

By "it wanted to sit on 120" i mean crusing along long stretches of backroads, if you start to doze off a bit and stop looking at the speedo, just look at the road ahead and to the sides (I did this ride solo, no other bikes), after a while you would look down and the bike would be doing 120. Hard to explain but it just kinda "went there" and was happy.

As i said, totally different bikes, so the above (real world, thank you very much) info is probably useless.

What im trying to get at though is spend a good six months in the seat before you make any decisions on what to change and where.

Cheers.  

Edited by Bomber Watson, 08 December 2013 - 05:15 PM.

#29 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:03 PM

Yeah makes sense what you're saying. But like I said just want something to cruise around town up and down the bay on a nice day.

I'll go have a look this weekend, haven't ridden in a long time though and a bit nervous.

Can you lower the coil spring Harley's relatively easily? What are pipe changes like?

#30 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:05 PM

All off the shelf items. 

There expensive, but they fit.

Unlike Holden stuff which is expensive and doesnt fit lol. 

Cheers. 

Edited by Bomber Watson, 08 December 2013 - 06:06 PM.

#31 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:30 PM

Agree with your thoughts DJ.

My softy loves 120 to 130.

As for those other Harleys, could never understand why they wanted to copy a CT100.

And really shouldnt they all be painted red? With a white P?

#32 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:31 PM

Wheres the like button?

#33 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:36 PM

Does anyone know if this bike will be electric start? Aren't they all?

#34 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:41 PM

Should be....I think elect start became popular in the 80's, about 86 or so? LS2 Hatch will know for sure. 

Cheers. 

#35 arrimar

arrimar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:04 PM

You can buy shorter shocks or get drop brackets that'll use your existing shocks. Pipes are expensive here compared to USA. There's a heap available online.
Being an EFI model mine took $150 for an air cleaner that breathes a bit, $900 for pipes and $450 for a tuner to get it to go.
There weren't too many 2 into 1 pipes around when I got mine, short shots were the in thing at the time but eventually I got what I wanted.
From a 6 litre tank I get 110kms around town and 200 on a run.

#36 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:30 PM

That sounds pretty straight forward. What is the go with pipes? Does the carb need rejetting?

Can't I just weld in some pipe bends off the existing flanges and make my own? Can I piss off the chrome air cleaner and pop on a nice k&n pod

Should change the title to Harley's 101

#37 arrimar

arrimar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:32 AM

Check out the sportster forums, cruiser customizing, and loser machine. Change of pipes, air cleaner usually means a retune.

#38 _Dan 76_

_Dan 76_
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:35 AM

Oooh a girls bike ;)

I had a mate with a '96 Sporty 1200 and offered him 5k... he said he'd take it... 

The motor in a '90 model will be the same, Evolution... 

As for mods... I would look at doing heads, carb and pipes if you want more from it... 

In all honesty just get on it and ride the shit out of it... sporty's are light and easy to throw around and being a harley

super easy to mod... 

If ya need a hand with any of it just PM me... 

#39 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:15 AM

Haha thanks for that mate, yeah sounds good don't think I can really loose out. Might just get it and ride the shit out of it.

I'll check out those forums but I'm pretty much happy with all the info I have now cheers

#40 kiwi-lilj

kiwi-lilj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  • Name:Blair
  • Car:LIL J

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:43 PM

Hmmm, 2 pages and no pictures. Disappointing.

#41 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:26 PM

Mods are easy. You can make your own pipes if your not stressed about not having baffles. That said you can gets baffles to slip in, although they really don't do a great deal. K&N pods on a bend you make up works well. It is worh getting tuned once this is done, it makes the mods worth while.
Bikes are no different to cars in the way of if you are customizing, you make the rules. You can basically do anything you want.
My only advise to you would be, when making something, if you think it needs one bracket, put two. What ever you think will be ok, double it! Always over engineer what ever you are making. These bikes vibrate more than you realize and shake the hell out of itself. If you want to make it once only, over engineer it. Keep that in mind and you will have no trouble. I recommend having a go at doing your own mods to an extent. They are a very basic bike. All you need is a bit of nowce and you will be fine. Plus you can always ask for help

#42 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:24 PM

Blair ill get some pictures providing tomorrow goes well!

Grant, mate that is exactly what i wanted to hear. I'd rather do everything myself anyway, and i quite like working on bikes they seem simpler compared to cars. Providing everything is in order, dont think i can go wrong for 5k, can i?

#43 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,122 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:28 PM

As long as you dont spend another 5k you should be right

#44 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:39 PM

IMG_3261_zps0ce5c737.jpg
IMG_32581_zps9b1080b5.jpg 

Well this is the bad boy, not too bad for a runabout. Heaps to do, where do i start!!

Any good independent bike accessory retailers in melbourne? Sort of like supercheap for bikes?

#45 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:04 PM

Anyone like these bars I'm going to buy?

#46 _Dan 76_

_Dan 76_
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:31 PM

black out all the shiny stuff... 

and grab a pussy pad... 

hope ya don't mind but quickly knocked this out to show ya... 

Attached Files

Edited by Dan 76, 11 December 2013 - 12:42 PM.

#47 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:17 PM

Holy shit dan that looks fkn wicked. Talented man you are. Pretty much what I wanted to do, contemplating painting tank and fenders too what ya reckon?

Pussy pad cushion?

#48 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,122 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:25 PM

Holy shit dan that looks fkn wicked. Talented man you are. Pretty much what I wanted to do, contemplating painting tank and fenders too what ya reckon?
Pussy pad cushion?

For your bitch

#49 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:29 PM

Nah shell be right she can stay home

#50 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:05 PM

I'm sure you will have a lot of fun on it. Just don't over spend and you will be fine.
As for cheap shops, not really a word associated with Harley's, cheap!!
Internet is your best option. I used to buy my exhaust ends from HD Development in the city and build my own pipes. Then either have them chromed or wrap them.
I've got one of my old bikes back for a service and a couple mods now, I will get a photo for you.
If you need some help or get stuck, just yell out. I like bikes, sometimes the access to bolts and other parts is so much easier than cars. Once my hatch is all done, I have no doubt I will start again on another bike. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users