1990 Harley XL1200

• Please log in to reply
275 replies to this topic

#76 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:57 PM

Possibly due for oil change. I'm not 100% sure if they are the same as the later models and have three oils. Engine, gearbox and primary. I expect they are though. I don't know if that is definitely the issue, I will ask a few questions tomorrow to a mate that will know the answer.

I agree, start a build thread in the "non Torana projects" thread. Then you can add plenty of photos!! :)

#77 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:39 PM

I'll definitely do that, probably move this and change the title.

Anyways I might check the plugs I have a funny feeling it's ignition like you said, but probably plugs.

#78 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:35 PM

Anyone know of any good shops to get a RWC from in Melbourne, preferably the west? Was going to start bars, intake and ride height but occurred to me that I shod probably wait till after roadworthy. Are Z bars actually legal?

#79 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:03 PM

The legal height used to be 380mm from point of attachment. Now it's from the seat to the handlebars. From memory it's the same measurement but from the seat to the top of the grip. It's been a while since I've been to the engineer.
As for roadworthy places, realistically anywhere that does bikes will be the same. When you say in the west, where are you meaning? Some are better than others.
Your pipes may be an issue also. Don't know if you have ever heard a Harley with standard pipes or not, but they sound like a postie bike. Definitely not like a Harley.

#80 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:20 PM

Yeah thats what someone else mentioned to me. Hard to wrap my brain around as the pipes look stock but dont sound it. 

As for the west i mean western suburbs. Are car RWC testers able to do bikes or is it a different licence? 

#81 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:58 PM

Different license, (Sorry, edit, in QLD its a different license, forgot your in vic, perhaps disregard this)  make a few phone calls, as mentioned probably not a huge difference, they seem to be pretty picky on bikes.

Harleys have a thing called "slip ons" which are slip on mufflers, that are a fair bit louder, yourse likely has these, look stock but sound racious. Next thing to go from mine actually. 

Cheers. 

Edited by Bomber Watson, 24 December 2013 - 03:59 PM.

#82 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:07 PM

I'm thinking they have had the baffles drilled to be honest. So looks like she will be left alone till RWC. It only had one a couple months ago so should be good.

Now I'm gonna attempt a bit of a service which will include oil change, chain lube, chain tensioning and probably a bit of a carb clean. Do I need the change gearbox oil? Is there a way to check the clutch and belt tension? I can move the belt up and down like 3 inches im assuming that is bad? I know it has to be about an inch free play but what the mot accurate way of measuring?

P.s I'm on the hunt for some new pipes. Radius or short shots the ones I have disgust my eyes

#83 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:35 PM

Not sure whether the girls bike is the same as the real one.

This website has good info on changing oils.

www.dudeworld.com.au

got some other good stuff as well

#84 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:43 PM

Nah not the same mine runs on nail polish.

#85 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:47 PM

hahahaha

At least you got a 2 wheel option.

Gotta learn to stop smiling while riding though.

Bugs get between the teeth.

#86 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2013 - 11:42 AM

Never mind bugs, rain feels like someone is throwing sand in your face.

Good info on that site. Just not sure if I have to do a primary change on the 1200s?

#87 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:36 PM

Not sure on the sporties either.

Pull a screw and check I guess

#88 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:04 PM

Ok so primary and gearbox oil is integrated. I went out and got chain lube, engine oil, primary oil and a filter. Ill most likely strip the bike tomorrow of most big bits and give it a clean/rectify oil leaks. I was pretty keen to do something but im just waiting for the roadworth shop to open until i start modding. Couldnt help myself with this though. 

IMG_34431_zpsda3f0fda.jpg

IMG_34471_zps6c9f8c06.jpg

#89 _big jack_

_big jack_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:24 PM

I like sportys, due to the fact I'm not what you would call a big fella, good price by the way.

#90 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,123 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:02 AM

I don't think the side mounted plate will get through roadworthy.

#91 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:00 PM

Mate would you believe i thought of that AFTER i did it. Oh well hopefully i can get a fancy roadworthy and it will be ok. 

What do people generally prefer, side mounted vertically or horizontally? Ill do a big service on it today. Can you get lighting displays for generator, neutral, highbeam and indicators to replace the stupidly ugly factory shroud that sits over the front headlight?

#92 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:14 PM

Dunno about vic but in qld it clearly states that the numberplate must be horisontal and visible from 3mt back at a 45 degree angle from the back tyre.

But vertical looks way cooler.

Cheers.

#93 _BARRY JACKPOT_

_BARRY JACKPOT_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:30 AM

Doesn't matter you're gunna get hassled either way with the new bikie laws. This country is run by retards.

#94 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:04 PM

Mate just rode from Sydney to Mackay. A few days there riding with friends.

On his way back now. Riding a Harley.

So far no dramas with plod.

#95 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:15 PM

Yeah looks much better with the clean fender for now. Im actively chasing a 2!" front rim and solid rear rim. Would love to go wider too but that idea needs some homework. Apart from that picked up a filter and primary oil so once i recover from this wisdom tooth surgery i will do engine oil, primary oil, clutch freeplay and primary chain. Should get me going nicely for now.

What do the new laws entail by the way?

#96 _BARRY JACKPOT_

_BARRY JACKPOT_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:33 AM

Basically anyone on a motorcycle has no rights and in the eyes of Cambell F u ckwit Newman is worse than a peadophile or murderer.

#97 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:42 AM

Your safe to ride anywhere you want, and with who ever you want...........  as long as you not part of a Criminal Organisation..  (An Outlaw Biker Gang Member)  The Law is only directed at Criminal Organisations,     And believe me, I have many friends that are Bikers (Patch Members) Two of my good friends that i grew up with were Presidents at their club............   and we all know what they do and what they sell ...    I do feel sorry for them, as most of them are good blokes, but they brought these Laws onto themselves with the ridiculous amount of violence they brought to the streets of Brisbane & Surfers paradise ,,,,   Ride your bike have fun, the Laws don't impact on the 99% of riders, just the 1 %er's................... 

Just like these guy's who filmed their ride to our local Pub ...........  "Catho Pub"    

Edited by ChaosWeaver, 09 January 2014 - 06:55 AM.

#98 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:49 PM

Nice video, I'd kill for a wider wheel like on some of those bikes. Still chasing a few things for mine I've a solid rear wheel and 21" front, just hard to work out figment with my limited experience. Also probably going to have to make some pipes as I can't find what I want and 700 new is a bit rich

#99 _red roar_

_red roar_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:24 PM

Mate,

Check out hdforums dot com dot au , all of your tech answers and some.

cheers

#100 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:55 PM

THose wankers only every talk about how to fit various chrome gear lol. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users