Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:59 AM

Yeah and the theory of it being a measurement to the top of the badge has been busted cause that would be 135mm not 145.

#27 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:47 PM

Hi Guys, if you convert that to imperial that would be 4 &1/8" up from lower edge of the boot to the bottom of the badge & 2 & 1/4" in from top drivers side edge (outside dimentions of badge postion) using genuine gtr badge (# 2810503) of lc gtr measurements. 1 & 1/8" in from the outside of the "r" & 7/16" down from the top of "r" to make centre marks for pin hole  &  7/16" up from the bottom of the "g" & 7/8" in from the bottom left hand side of the "g" to make other pin hole, hole size being 5/32" x2 holes obviously, hope this helps, John Gong should definitly be able to confirm any measurements for lc & lj gtr & so might the guy with the 2 boots both lc & lj, Gary.

#28 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,126 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

Who uses imperial anymore thats confusing as

#29 dpz

dpz

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:16 PM

I found a difference of 5mm in height (to TOP of badge) between the LC and LJ with 136mm and 131mm respectively.

This could easily have been caused by the amount of beer consumption the previous night or that lunchtime.

What I have found is that the badge holes on both are relatively spot on with respect to easy other.

Funnily enough to me the badges all look, and measure, a little askew with the "R" being slightly higher than the "G" on both boot lids, by a few mm.

On purpose? they all look a bit crooked to me...

I suspect a square template with 2 x holes was used and lined up to the RH and bottom edge. That way the badge always fit regardless of high high or low or crooked it was with respect to the body / boot. I can't imagine anyone was too careful and close enough was good enough.

I took measurements of the actual hole positions rather than the badge. I will post these up if requested but will ask that people cross check before drilling. 

I would use mikecatts measurements as they seem to be relatively similar if not same as mine. 

Photos are available by PM. Way too many to post. Or I can post important ones ?

P.S I did try use the imperial method and with some measurements it seemed to line up a bit better/make more sense? I also suspected GMH would have used this form of measurement back then. In the end the measurements were finer and easier using metric rule. Also for anyone wondering I used the same GTR Badge on both boot lids. I also made measurements and cross checked and referenced my measuring tape/s with 3 x others to confirm my readings. 

Edited by dpz, 19 January 2014 - 03:17 PM.

#30 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:40 PM

I don't think so. The photo of the wrong measurement, the badge looks in the correct position, it's just the measurement is suss.

Thanks Mike, just what I wanted to see. If there are more to confirm without doubt, please come forward.

and if you look at the 57mm size in proportion to the 145, the 57 only fits twice in the 145. Dave I

http://www.gmh-toran...ge/#entry803399

#31 dpz

dpz

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:00 PM

This is what I measured for hole position. Note they are both different.

The LC has a dodgy coat of thick enamel over the original colour, so minus -.05mm - you could say the top RH hole has 1mm difference in it.

Its the height that differs but only by 4-5mm. The rest of the measurements appear to be true with respect to each other.

If anyone finds any faults let me know and I'll recheck the pics.

LC GTR  / Right Upper Badge Hole - Overall distance to top of “R” from boot lid edge = 136mm

- distance from boot lip (bottom) to RH Hole - 126mm

- distance from RH Boot edge to RH hole - 84.5

LC GTR  / Left Lower Badge Hole 

- distance from boot lip (bottom)to LH Hole - 116mm

- distance from RH Boot edge to LH hole - 165.5mm

LJ GTR / Right Upper Badge Hole - Overall distance to top of “R” from boot lid edge = 131mm

- distance from boot lip (bottom) to RH Hole - 121mm

- distance from RH Boot edge to RH hole - 83mm  

LJ GTR  / Left Lower Badge Hole 

- distance from boot lip (bottom) to RH Hole - 111mm

- distance from RH Boot edge to LH hole - 164mm

Edited by dpz, 19 January 2014 - 06:01 PM.

#32 dpz

dpz

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:08 PM

This is the LJ Boot lid. Probably closer to 132mm

The photos are dodgy as I was trying to balance everything and take the shot... But everything was checked over many times. 

image-26.jpeg

image-5.jpeg

#33 sibhs

sibhs

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Martin
  • Car:LJ Coupe S

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:50 PM

I've seen enough evidence to ask the admin to remove the wrong info pic and replace it with Mikes info pic. Does anyone disagree?  

Attached File  FORUM PIC.jpg   64.41K   6 downloads

#34 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:58 PM

Cool that"s got Marty sorted for a while, but you know that he's going to need the gtr badge postions for the door trims so while you have the tapes out metric or imperial :banghead: you may aswell put them up here in the same spot to taked away any confusion. & Gene mate buy yourself a digital set of verniers in metric/ imperial & everything can make sense :) I have a machinist for a brother & have to work with both measurements 2 work hence why i can get it or even google does formulars now mate cheers, Gary. :deal:

#35 sibhs

sibhs

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:06 PM

Thanks for your info Gary, I'm right for door trim positions. Well, I don't want to know because my new trims have them already attached.

Others may benefit from the details though.

Cheers all.

Attached File  images-2.jpeg   5.03K   5 downloads

#36 dpz

dpz

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:46 AM

The original info was posted by a respected forum member with an original LC GTR.

It may very well be the case there were a whole heap of cars with the same measurement/position?

#37 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:39 AM

Busted what ?  one photo on the internet... hardly a biblical document ?  I have never even seen that pic on here... where did it come from ?

#38 sibhs

sibhs

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:20 AM

Hi Adam,

It seems a respected member has put up a picture with measurements indicating the badge position. (Blue GTR LC). The picture has been used in quite a few threads helping other members to position their Badges. I think the original pic has been on here since 2007 without being questioned for it's accuracy.

What makes this forum so great is the very helpful knowledgeable, friendly members. What we must also ensure is accurate information otherwise this just becomes second rate.

The term 'busted' is used to confirm that those original measurements are infact wrong and we should get them off the forum to prevent others from being mislead.

I have my suspicions on who may have made the original error but who cares, lets just fix it.

Marty

The original info was posted by a respected forum member with an original LC GTR.

It may very well be the case there were a whole heap of cars with the same measurement/position?

Hi dpz, from the looks of the pic the badge is in correct position, it's only a measurement or typing error.

Marty

#39 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,843 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:26 AM

with regard to this thread......forget all the ifs and buts.....Im more impressed that you noticed the slight error just by your eye!

Very good.

#40 Potta

Potta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:00 AM

Yeah he is an observant bugger, but that's why his car is and will be a standout.

In 5 minutes he noticed things on my 4 door that I hadn't noticed in 12 months of owning it.

Good on ya for getting this sorted out Marty.

#41 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:22 AM

i have not had much to say on this topic mainly because these numbers over the years have varied, but what i could work out most of it was from year to year models,,,

this is what i have taken and done, please note i had a computer brake down some time ago now and lost a lot of data mostly photos

1970 lc gtr

1464083_zps6dac50d1.jpg

in my book she was

59mm from drivers side boot gap to top of R

143mm from bottom of boot lip to top of R

then there was the two 1971 lc gtrs

THEEVILGTRMAN-13_zps83ee8867.jpg

THEEVILGTRMAN-12_zps8c477021.jpg

both these cars where

57mm from edge to R

145mm from bottom to top of R

at the moment i have in my possession a 1972 royal purple lj gtr

i cant give photos as the car is not mine

from the edge to top of the R is 62mm

from bottom of boot to top of R 137mm

now the 1973 lj gtr that i just sold

Picturebigboyztoyz561_zpsc8d9f861.jpg

from edge to R 59mm

from bottom to top of R 134mm

please remember that this car did not have its full paint when these measurements where taken

Anyways fellers lets look at and ask the big questions.

1. when where these holes punched into the panels.

2. after they where pressed or after they where fitted.

3. was there a jig used or was it done by stencil.

4. if it was a jig did it cuddle both side and bottom of the boot or just one.

5. if it was a stencil did it ware out over the years or varies from eye to hand.

anyways good luck with it

cheers gong

#42 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

Lord Humungus The Ayatolla of Rock N Rolla.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:LJ GTR

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:00 AM

Well done John, Personally I would hazard a guess with the stencil, after boot lid fitted and differences were due to not being lined up correctly with the boot edges......

#43 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:55 PM

Just to add to the confusion, new spare part boot lids had no badge holes so it was up to the repairer to measure, mark & drill the holes.

#44 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,843 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:32 PM

hmm...guess it makes sense....

I would imagine that a generic "boot lid" went on the car on the line.

From there the Torana,... GTR,... or whatever badge went on later down the line.....i.e. they wouldn't have a pile of "GTR lids", and a pile of "S/SL lids" ...and try and put them on the right cars.?

However...would a punch actually be able to fit in there?.. assuming it has to clamp both sides of the panel?

Also, how would they deal with the bare metal left by the punch or the drill?

excuse my ing-or-ance if these are dumb questions.

You can understand why they just stick them on these days.

#45 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:29 PM

TMK all holes in panels used on the assembly line were pre punched not drilled. So yes, there would have been different boot lids to suit the different models being produced.

#46 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:25 AM

S pack

TMK all holes in panels used on the assembly line were pre punched not drilled. So yes, there would have been different boot lids to suit the different models being produced.

that is what i was thinking,,, and the jig would have worn out over the years or maybe was put on just a touch out.

RallyRed

Also, how would they deal with the bare metal left by the punch or the drillarrow-10x10.png?

i know when unpicking the under rails of these cars sometimes you find the little bits half clung to the holes

cheers gong

#47 _gm3300_

_gm3300_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:43 PM

Measured from the front edge of the lid to the top of the badge, 6/72 Brisbane LJ GTR.

grant

Attached Files

#48 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,843 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:39 PM

thanks Gong

#49 ljv8

ljv8

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car:LC GTR

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:57 PM

Hey Marty just to add another variable while not an LJ mine is an Adelaide built 02/71 LC GTR.

My measurements are:
57mm from drivers side boot edge to top of R
134mm from bottom of boot lip to top of R

I can only assume my boot lid is original, and not replaced and the holes re drilled. Either way it's close enough to the rest posted above for me.

Cheers Steve.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users