Oil filler cap LJ XU-1

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 _big jack_

_big jack_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:06 AM

What colour should they be as I've seen them in black or silver, is it a factory thing ie Brisbane or Adelaide or year change. Also what shade of silver or black should it be when I find out which one suits my car? One more thing, the decal that is on the cap, which way does it face as I've seen them on the side and facing the front?  My car is 2/72 Brisbane built.

Thanks in advance, John.

#2 crabba67

crabba67

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Name:anthony

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:22 AM

Silver.Silver,Silver and Silver and the lettering screen printed black the NOT A STICKER.good luck.

#3 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:16 PM

Hi John, in relation to the letter placement when filler/breather cap is properly fitted most "i" have seen were facing the dipstick, ie i would guess this would be to "read instructions" whilst completing the service. That's where i would be putting it back again but totally your call. Anthony is correct in that it was a screen print, however if you have to refit something these days similar, then yes it will be a sticker ! Hopefully Anthony could give a time frame ect. of which cars 70,71,72 & 73 had which coloured cap please ? as i have heard some much confusion on this topic ! Thanks Gary.

#4 _SableMet7/73_

_SableMet7/73_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:25 PM

the lettering screen printed black the NOT A STICKER.

Spent many years screen printing, round stuff's not that hard, bottles, glass's etc
just need the right equipment & master the knack. No not putting my hand up, had to
leave for health reasons & couldnt consider it atm. But happy to chat.

J

#5 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:19 PM

Hi John

This is mine on my XU,yes it is black but its my car and don't care if its the wrong colour.I also have heard different theories on what colour they should be for GTR/GTR XU1's to what year/time frame and supply. I have seen both on our cars whether the black ones were a replacement item, I don't know.

Anyway the cap I have is a genuine NOS cap with the screen printing on it, the location on mine as you will see is more to the front on the drivers side but have seen other genuine ones in slightly different locations so I could only imagine that at the time of the screen print that it wouldn't be a pint point spot.

Who Knows?????

cheers Dane

Attached Files

#6 _big jack_

_big jack_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:27 PM

Thanks fellas for your comments. Does the sticker come in the engine decal kit  from Brad Merick?

Thanks again, John.

#7 crabba67

crabba67

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:27 PM

Silver cap for chrome rocker cover............black cap for red rocker cover

#8 _big jack_

_big jack_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:13 PM

^ Silver it is

#9 _big jack_

_big jack_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:25 PM

Are these images Dane'os" Sunburst Mettallic XU-1 From Australian Muscle Collection GTR XU-1 edition? If so thats where I got the info about the filler cap. That is an awesome XU-1.

Cheers, John. 

f03w4p.jpg

#10 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:03 PM

Hi John

Thanks for the comment,and yes that's my car.

I actually hate that Engine bay pic as from then to now it has come along way and it so different.

I have changed a heap of things for the better in my opinion.

cheers Dane

#11 _macdou_

_macdou_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:09 PM

Look pretty good to me....

So XU1's don't have the part number on the radiator guard, just the date on the tank

I am guessing original factory radiator?

#12 _big jack_

_big jack_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:44 PM

Looks bloody good to me as well If only I could get mine looking that good, oh well one day.

#13 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:32 PM

So XU1's don't have the part number on the radiator guard, just the date on the tank

Yes they do and the production date code is also on the fan guard not the top tank.

#14 _macdou_

_macdou_
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:43 PM

Yes they do and the production date code is also on the fan guard not the top tank.

Danes sunburst "appears" to have only the date code on the top tank and nothing else.....

#15 crabba67

crabba67

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:03 PM

John Mac,there is NO part numbers on a LJ Xu1 fan stroud dane is correct.the LC xu1 have a copper plaque on top of stroud with the part number and then painted black.

cheers.

#16 _macdou_

_macdou_
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:15 PM

John Mac,there is NO part numbers on a LJ Xu1 fan stroud dane is correct.the LC xu1 have a copper plaque on top of stroud with the part number and then painted black.
cheers.

That's what I thought to for LJ XU1's....

#17 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:21 PM

That's what I thought to for LJ XU1's....

Hi

+1 ^^ plus the alpha code for the month and the numeric code for the year eg H2 stamped from the inside of the header tank prior to assembly.

Cheers

Bazza

#18 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:27 AM

Hi Ken

The Radiator in my car has the original top and bottom tanks on it as I had to get a new core, the original core had about 20 holes in it from memory and was unrepairable.

The top tank is date coded D3 with no part number as mentioned above, you'll also notice there's a hole in the corner of the fan guard, I believe this is a 73 thing.

Hi John

Don't go to much on this pic as a reference as to me and I'm sure a few of the other guys that if you want to get anal is wrong, wrong, wrong on a factory look.

Depending on how far you want to go on your own car is your business but if you would like a better reference pic to go off then I will be resurrecting my build thread very soon for reasons I won't disclose yet. So keep an I out.

cheers Dane 

#19 crabba67

crabba67

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:02 AM

Couple of examples of the radiators stamping lc ck H1 and 9/72 H2. 1973 from A3 have a 1/4" hole drilled in the left hand corner of the stroud.

Attached Files

• Attached File  118.jpg   52.97K   15 downloads
  • Attached File  006.jpg   51.31K   15 downloads

#20 Kockum

Kockum

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:01 PM

S PACK has nailed it.

People that say there is no radiator assembly part number stamped into the LJ XU1 fan guard have not seen a well known 73 150 car that was on display at eastern creek some years ago .

One of the VERY FEW cars that still has it's factory fitted guard . NO , not scooters old car .

Fan guard also has the assembly date code of the complete radiator .[S PACK again ]

I believe that the D3 and in my case F3 code stamped into the top tank is the date that said top tank was pressed .

Fan guard code and top tank code may or may not match .

#21 _macdou_

_macdou_
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:55 PM

2823866 is listed as the XU1 radiator, or at least I think it is. Anyone?

I will be interested to see how many XU1s at Toranama on Saturday show this number on the radiator fan guard.

#22 Kockum

Kockum

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:06 PM

Good luck in your search , you will need it .

Very elusive item .

#23 _macdou_

_macdou_
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2014 - 08:02 AM

Good luck in your search , you will need it .

Very elusive item .

So are you saying most XU1's out there have the incorrect radiator, and only very few have the factory one original?.....

#24 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 12 September 2014 - 08:09 AM

So are you saying most XU1's out there have the incorrect radiator, and only very few have the factory one original?.....

Simply that most cars 10 years and older, regardless of model or variant, have had their radiator replaced at least once with either with a genuine spare or reco exchange unit.

Almost forgot. The factory original LJ fan guard will also carry a single letter code to identify the production factory.

Edited by S pack, 12 September 2014 - 08:13 AM.

#25 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2014 - 08:30 AM

These are the numbers on my old radiator ...  ??    Attached File  WP_20140912_009 (800x450).jpg   222.35K   18 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users