Torana prices, today and moving forward

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#76 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2017 - 12:41 PM

frOck Andrew O'Queef is a frOcking knobhead. 

Would I convert my Turdrunna to full electric? frOck yes. Want some noisy inline six sounding fuel burning shit in the bay through several iterations first but It is definitely on the cards for rebuild #780 or so. 

Im already looking at converting my RWD Mini Khanacross/Hillclimb car to full electric. Will be a good learning platform for when I convert the Torana. 

Local lad in town has a full electric Brumby ute, went for a spin in it, its ridiculous. Top speeds about 105 and he only gets about 100km range but it would beat any SS, GTS, XR6-T, XR8 whatever from 0-100 by a laughable distance and cost him less than a rebuild on the Subaru engine would have set him back. 

If he had dropped 20k into it (which is a not unreasonable price for a 202 and trans or 308/355 and trans built to a reasonable specification that actually makes some hp once everything is said and done) then it would get closer to Tesla specks for range and performance. 

What all this says for prices moving foward? frOcks me. 

Edited by Bomber Watson, 21 October 2017 - 12:43 PM.

#77 _xu150_

_xu150_
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2017 - 05:45 AM

What would be the top price for LJ GTR XU1.The car is numbers matching and restoration is faultless in every way. It has written history going back to the original owner. I’d be interested in your honest opinion.

#78 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:39 AM

What would be the top price for LJ GTR XU1.The car is numbers matching and restoration is faultless in every way. It has written history going back to the original owner. I’d be interested in your honest opinion.

The Covert '73 XU1?

Edited by S pack, 03 November 2017 - 07:48 AM.

#79 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:39 AM

Over the last few weeks I have seen more than three LX Torana's for sale very stock 6's.

There been sell in melbourne for about $6500 -$7500. Let's say you were to buy 5 at $7500.

$37500 today put them away for say 5 year's, what would they sell for ? Compared to buying 1 GTR with the $37500.

Interesting that this equation probably hasn't changed much since 2014.

Also, the OP is asking about the future values of modified cars. I bet Gerry wasn't even dreaming about getting over 70k for his car back then.

#80 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:45 AM

Clean out your inbox Dave!!!!!!

#81 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:22 PM

Clean out your inbox Dave!!!!!!

lol. Have made a bit of space for you Laurie.  :D

#82 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Name:Ray
  • Car:SS Hatch

Posted 04 November 2017 - 01:19 PM

Well the banning of our beloved cars is soon upon us. The banning of diesel and petrol cars if Australia I would guess 2050 at the latest. Does this mean just the manufacture ? or you could be fined for driving one ? They will just no longer supply these fuels ? could you be jailed for emissions abuse ?

#83 _User_Driver_

_User_Driver_
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2017 - 02:02 PM

Well the banning of our beloved cars is soon upon us. The banning of diesel and petrol cars if Australia I would guess 2050 at the latest. Does this mean just the manufacture ? or you could be fined for driving one ? They will just no longer supply these fuels ? could you be jailed for emissions abuse ?

I try not to think about it, the more I anticipate it, the sooner it will come. Enjoy burning fuel while you can.

#84 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 02:28 PM

To be honest, its the first time today I had a thought about selling my/daughters car. doesn't mean we love the Torana any less. With electric cars in my rear vision mirror and prices were there at. These cars are our dreams that in time will only be a visual for our future with a permit and JSA to start them. Would a deposit on a house benefit her more than a visual rust collector ?. Will the earth claim back these cars ?. Yes

#85 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 November 2017 - 02:36 PM

Keep spreading the fearmongering. Hopefully there will be less mongrels buying them up as investments and the prices will come back down to where true enthusiasts can afford them.

There will always be petrol available for vintage and veteran cars through various clubs. Anyway, I'll be 99 years old in 2050 so I ain't going to lose sleep over it.

#86 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 04 November 2017 - 03:26 PM

Keep spreading the fearmongering.

There will always be petrol available for vintage and veteran cars through various clubs. Anyway, I'll be 99 years old in 2050 so I ain't going to lose sleep over it.

Exactly!

Way too much misinformation is going around.

The UK government has announced that by 2040 new petrol or diesel powered cars will be banned from sale.

Take another look at the word in bold above.

http://www.abc.net.a...ry/s4711998.htm

before that happens petrol will become so expensive that only companies who buy in bulk will be able to afford it. ...... As oil reserves dry up it costs more to extract; as people switch to electric creating a smaller market, the economies of scale will diminish and the price of petrol will skyrocket.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 04 November 2017 - 03:27 PM.

#87 77lx308

77lx308

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Car:77 lx 308

Posted 04 November 2017 - 09:20 PM

Electric cars will take over like the car took over from the horse.

Now horses are hobbies and not general transport tools.

The same will happen with petrol cars - obviously only classics will survive as no one will want to preserve a Getz.

I think they will be banned from being sold new - but will be allowed out to play in some limited capacity - probably limited by the cost that petrol will be by then.

When all "normal" cars are zero emissions no one will worry about the emissions of the 0.01% of classic cars that drive out on Sundays.

I hope........

#88 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 04 November 2017 - 09:24 PM

no one will want to preserve a Getz......

There's always one!

http://www.team-bhp....undai-getz.html

lol.

s

#89 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:48 AM

Ha ha ha ha. Crazy man.

#90 _xu150_

_xu150_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:38 PM

The Covert '73 XU1?

What ‘73 Covert XU1

#91 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:51 PM

What ‘73 Covert XU1

#38 xu150

Forum Participant

• Members

• bullet_black.pngbullet_black.png

• 11 posts

• Name:m

• Car:Charger

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:21 PM

First time here on this forum. Thanks for your kind remarks regarding my cars. The Covert is my favourite along with my L34. I own them , but my son says i'm only looking after them for him along with the rest of the collection. All i need now is a A9X coupe to complete the Torana collection. By the way, my name isn't Barry

Attached File  warrigal & covert.jpg   91K   3 downloads

#92 _xu150_

_xu150_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:38 PM

Covert and Warrigal have gone to another place.

Edited by xu150, 06 November 2017 - 08:40 PM.

#93 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 01:07 PM

Has the Torana price started to flat line ? Prices seem to have dropped or flat lined on some models IMHO. The GTR models keep climbing in price ? Not saying the XU1 model alone but all GTR'S. What do you think.

#94 _THE ZODIAC_

_THE ZODIAC_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2018 - 01:50 PM

Hi Gents interesting topic

lets all be honest we love toranas for the simple fact that they are fun cars easy to work on and most of us have great memories of theses cars growing up.

Looking back  years ago Austin Healeys were worth a huge amount of money, the people who lusted for them in their youth were in a position to buy one and tick off a bucket list item. Fast forward 20 years and the prices have dropped. Why, because the people who lusted after them are now dead, plain and simple.

I feel that the  same will in time happen with Toranas GT falcons Chargers and the like.

Most of the  young adults  today would rather have an R34 Skyline or a mint unmodified WRX than a torana or GT. Most of the  next generation did not grow up with these  cars, so they have no memory of them on the road. This generation are born and bred on the fast and furious image of car culture with turbos efi etc being the norm. Is an unrestored XU1 worth a huge amount?  yes but only to someone who wants it, i feel in 10 years from now only the hard core detail detectives will be proping the  value of these  cars up as has happened in most classic car circles.

Parts for these  cars are drying  up fast  and for the  average punter will find that it is getting impossible to source bits for a project.

these are  my  thoughts and i can say this as i have owned a few toranas in my day.

cheers Ted

#95 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 02:27 PM

Hey TED, Welcome to the forum, I agree with what your saying and all these points have been brought forward in this topic prior. I lust for any Harley / motor bike / car / planes (Tiger Moth) . I suppose you could say pre 80s with a motor. Electric or Combustion and steam powered train would be my Dream. A lot of us here wouldn't so no to a old school fo#d. I can only afford what I have today as most car enthousiast would probably agree :).

#96 _THE ZODIAC_

_THE ZODIAC_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2018 - 05:22 PM

Cheers Rainman

To let the  cat out of the  bag i own a couple of 60s Mustangs and they are a different kettle of fish again.

I was at a car show in L.A and told a bloke i had a Torana and he thought i had undergone a medical procedure!

It will be very interesting what will happen to the oz muscle car circus in the next few years as lets face it is tiny compared to the us market

Supply and demand, at the moment everyone wants an old muscle car in twenty years from now these cars  may be looked at differently. 

ZODIAC

#97 Indy Orange

Indy Orange

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,848 posts
  • Name:Paul

Posted 08 July 2018 - 05:30 PM

That's encouraging,mine should be finished in 20 years.

#98 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:36 PM

Very True Ted, Old skool cars are the early commodores that are bringing good coin at the moment. Mazda RX but not the RX8 for good reason. If they do fall in price then your finished project Paul will be worth $1500.00 lol. To today / Next generation Its the 80/90s cars that make them feel like we do with our Torries. Lucky we kept a VT Commodore :). Will place some P plates on her one day :) Mutton Dressed as Lamb

#99 Indy Orange

Indy Orange

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,848 posts
  • Name:Paul

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:43 PM

However,i believe if your restoring a car to make a profit ,then your doing it for the wrong reason.If it's worth decent dollars in the future,that's a bonus.Im doing it because I like them ,mines to be passed on.

#100 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:54 PM

$1500.00 lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users