- - - - -

The LC 2 door... Quick lick and Flick

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#51 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2016 - 12:29 PM

Quick udate of something Id thought id share.Well ive removed the Celica 5ps and replaced it with the good old aussie 4 spd.Didnt take any chances this time and took the tail shaft back to Final drive for balancing,and yep it was out of balance again.
What I done different this time was to cut the shifter handle off the shifter for easier fitment into the Lc.Got the idea from my V8 4 spd which has got a removeable shifter handles fitted to it. I made a 1/2 unf collar and welded that onto my standard shifter so i could borrow the main shifter handleform my other box. I assembled 6cyl box gearbox on the bench got the gates nicely lined,made it an easier installion.
I now upto real time prgress with car.

#52 SA EH

SA EH

Another Holden 6 tragic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Name:Jonesy
  • Car:EH Holden, E30 BMW, LJ 4 Door

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:32 PM

What an insanely quick build thread! Lol.
I wish mine were this quick.

Awesome by the way....

#53 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:49 PM

ha ha ,and thanks Jonesy,I dont want to mislead anyone on here,but the LC's build has now taken 13 months.I decided to post my build progress about this car,because Ive got a week off work due to getting my teeth out..Should of been a 1 year build, but ive had a minor set back..but its all good,cheers all.

#54 kiwi-lilj

kiwi-lilj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  • Name:Blair
  • Car:LIL J

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:10 PM

I'm looking at your door trims, did you buy them off a guy living in Kenwick.

#55 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:14 PM

I certainly did mate,It was better than what I had,which was nothing, also bought his other reduntant torana stuff before he moved. Good pick up.

You may remember, he also had a real tidy LC and also a LJ from memory.

#56 kiwi-lilj

kiwi-lilj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:20 PM

Lol, that was me, small world.

Great thread mate and your car looks really good.

#57 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2016 - 05:04 PM

thanks for the reply,and thankyou for those parts,The front cross member was repaired and used in an LJ and I still have the diff for a VS/LC conversion I'll do later.Have you still got LJ,from memory its was real nice original car and you were in the process of selling your LC show car I think.
Cheers again.

#58 LHSL

LHSL

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Name:Phillip
  • Car:1974 LH SL; 2 x 1975 LH S Toranas

Posted 07 July 2016 - 05:15 PM

So to cut a long story short have you still got the car or have you sold it? I am just going off your topic title.

#59 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2016 - 05:27 PM

Sorry to lose you ,those pictures of the shifters were taking this morning,Exactly of how the car is at the moment.Once I adjust the clutch,this car will be taken back for licensing.Then im onto next stage of what I want to do to this car.
cheers.

#60 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:00 PM

Great looking car John.

Yes I did have some issues getting my car over, but nothing that was too hard to fix other than the steering being too heavy.

Third(fourth? can't remember) time lucky I found a guy who wasn't a d!ck and understood that the steering was actually pretty normal for the car.

I really thought for a while I had wasted my time and money, but it was all good in the end.

And regarding my comments about the gearbox, yes, Aussie 4 speed was definitely in LC from around mid-71 from memory, so probably not he same situation as having a Celica 5 speed which were never standard although you could be forgiven for thinking they were with the amount of cars that got the conversion.

What part of Perth are you in of you don't mind me asking?

#61 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:45 PM

Gday Potta, my Lc is just about done,had to stop due to a sore face,and live in Singelton.cheers

#62 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2016 - 05:48 PM

hey all had a productive day in the shed today,wasnt to sore, had a couple of small jobs to finish, from replacing the celica 5 speed back to 4 speed.had to change the wiring for the reverse light switch, adjusted the rat trap clutch rod. filled the box with some Penrite 80w oil, and made a sleeve so I could use my black gearnob, I ended up drilling and tapping an old shiter handle thread I had laying around and made a sleeve out of that, Just as I was itching for a test drive I realized Ive got the wrong Speedo cable, dam it ,next weeks job now. It was good to see it back on all fours.

#63 ribz0

ribz0

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Name:Eric
  • Car:LC Torana & 1975 South African Mini

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:23 PM

Hi ya John...

Great job and turned out amazing!!  Pretty dam good for a quick lick and flick!!  :clap:

Cheers.

#64 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:30 PM

Car looks great. Good to see my old Street Machine photo still getting around, haha!

#65 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:12 PM

Reguardless of the people,such an awesome picture.Been to many car cruises where this has happen,Its great someone captured the moment.Sexy LX by the way ,should put the chev badge back on for old times sake..Thanks for reply

#66 kiwi-lilj

kiwi-lilj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 05:51 AM

thanks for the reply,and thankyou for those parts,The front cross member was repaired and used in an LJ and I still have the diff for a VS/LC conversion I'll do later.Have you still got LJ,from memory its was real nice original car and you were in the process of selling your LC show car I think.
Cheers again.

Hi, Good to hear all the parts are being used again, I think I got that diff off ICE.

I still have both my cars although I have never got around to getting them licensed in Qld.

Keep up the good work. :)

#67 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2016 - 09:28 PM

Hey team,quick update. Hey Blair your right,turns out that diff housing was Ice's.We've all said it ,it's a small world.Anyway, got some time to work on the torana .The last job on the list was to fit the new speedo cable for the 4 spd conversion, which arrived on friday.I found that I could get good access to behind the dash by dropping the steering column and not removing the steering wheel.I added grease to the metal ends and some silicon grease to the oring. Finally it's finished.Now, to find some time to get it licensed.Then the fun can start.

#68 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2016 - 07:27 PM

Hey All ,great news, my torana passed licensing inspection today, yay,Tomorrow i will need to organise the license plates ,but now it has developed a few issues that need addressing.Its now got a faint oil mark around the pinion seal and the fuel pump blanking plate has oil stain around it.The inspector was happy to pass the car.I think he enjoyed the drive.Anyway I was going to change the diff ratio and also the cam anyway and put a manual fuel pump back into the car.I hate the noise of the electric fuel pump.It was nice day for a coast drive .cheers all.

#69 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:31 PM

Well done John good to see it passed rego
enjoy mate

#70 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2016 - 11:28 PM

thanks ice,its going to be short lived, now to take the aussie four back out again.Personally its nicer to drive with the celica box than the aussie box with the shifter and linkages.also this is a better picture.

#71 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2016 - 12:19 AM

Hey Torana land, I decided on my day off i would run my torana on the dyno to establish a baseline for the future improvements. Before I got the torana licensed, I removed the 350 holley and refitted a standard 202 stromberg.For the ease of Licensing.
Now for the Engine specs.

LH 202 motor,
Starfire rods,
YT 12000 head.
YT roller rockers.
Standard cam.
Approx 9.0 comp ratio.
Standard 202 carby.
VH electronic ignition.
Mixture of spark plug leads(as 2 were accidently thrown out).
Genie extractors 2"exhaust XU1 muffler
Boring I know,but its a start.

ambient dyno cell temp was 19'
My fuel mixture was approx 12:1.bit rich..we could of improved the total hp output by tuning the carb, but wasnt worth wasting dyno time on a stromberg.
And for those that dont know, all tests were performed in 4th gear. 1:1 ratio
As you can see from the graph the engine is responsive but runs out of fuel around 4200 rpm.

Total power 108 rwhp at 3700......room for improvement.

Im in the process of rebuilding the 350 Holley and will fit the camshaft that came with the car.Its new and the seller tells me it was an XU 1 cam. It has 951355 stamped on it. Any ideas anyone.
Ive order some bits from ebay once they arrive, I'll post some more updates.cheers.

#72 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2016 - 10:13 PM

Hey All, I just finished rebuilding the 350 holley. I stripped it down ,removed the plastic parts ,then let it soak in a bucket of thinners for 3 days.Just to make sure I took the parts to work and gave them a second clean the robo wash,Its basically a contained rotating steam cleaner.Then I sprayed the passages with some carb cleaner and compressed air to make sure.

Ive set the 350 carby up with 57 size jets and a 6.5" power valve,hopefully that will supply enough fuel for the 35/75 cam initially,until I can get a better fuel system.

Also started tidying up my engine bay,Amazing how bad, engine bays look in photographs.

Parts still havent arrived, so im just chipping away by freeing up 1/2 a day to work on the lc.

Funny,someone made an offer on it on monday,but Im starting to get attached to it.Id Just like to finish the car to what i think is it full potential.

cheers.

#73 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:59 AM

Hey all, Quick update.Ive started to fabricate an Lc gtr accelerator bracket assembly, for use with the holley.Not am exact replica but it came up well.
Also making the accelerator rods, which is 6mm mild steel rod which i bought from bunnings and ive threaded with a 1/4 unf die,as my accellerator setup uses threaded fittings.

#74 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2016 - 02:59 PM

Quick mock assemble, Car starts and runs well,Ive tuned it using a vacuum gauge,idles at 19 inches.Now strip it all and detail it.

#75 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 19 August 2016 - 06:52 PM

I gotta ask whats that orange box on the passenger side inner guard John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users