- - - - -

The LC 2 door... Quick lick and Flick

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#26 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:56 PM

Any way choice of motor time,Had 3 motors chose from the original steel cranked 186 with 35/75 cam,YT head, a Blue 202,flat tops,30/70 cam ported cyl head, or my hidden gem is a LH cast 202 balanced, starfire rods,flat tops,yt Bath 12000 head,roller rockers 25/65 cam.I settled on the LH 202 as this what people would be expecting in a car like this.

#27 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:06 PM

Don't think so.

Mine went over with Aussie 4 speed, originally Opel.

But later LC's had aussie 4 speed from memory?

#28 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:06 PM

One for Cylinder head guru's.The 12000 port dividers.

#29 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:13 PM

My car came factory fitted with the aussie 4,so their wont be no dramas licensing it now,just abig misunderstanding from the pit inspector.

#30 shanegtr

shanegtr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Name:Shane
  • Car:LJ 2 door
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 July 2016 - 09:23 AM

sounds like a tool. I was sure I read something on the WA trasport website about gearboxes, so a quick search and I found this

Attached Files

#31 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2016 - 09:44 AM

I read that when i got all my vss paperwork which he filled out on my behalf,My car passed the pit inspection.except for the 2 items, totally agree with you Shane the inspectors are just so random now.I figured that the transport license agents,dont want to accept any liability for any modifications.In case of repercussions.

#32 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2016 - 10:00 AM

Don't think so.

Mine went over with Aussie 4 speed, originally Opel.

Difference may be that they may notice the extra gear on the 5 speed, and also the LC did come with an Aussie 4 speed so they didn't expect an Opel when they picked on mine?

Just read your thread this morning,sounds like you had a hard time gettting yours licensed,you must be relieved its done,you get good and bad inspectors..(pricks)..cheers mate nice colour btw.

#33 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2016 - 11:59 AM

So with the engine now fitted,I decided to overhaul the gearbox side of things.Which included getting the fly wheel lightened and faced,new Rpm clutch kit which Ive misplaced part number for (idiot), and another new spigot bush.Filled with fresh oil now shes ready to roll.

#34 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2016 - 12:35 PM

Hey team, Getting exited now as I was getting ready for the test drive and some skids.Ordered a set of new uni's, 1 celica and 1 holden. Of course the holden uni fitted easily but the celica one had me scratching my head.In my haste I binned the old unis.To realize i just threw out a custom uni, because my tailshaft is still all holden.The uni wouldn't fit. I Rang around to see if you could order a holden to celica uni.To hard.Spoke to Phill at final drive, and they now sell a custom celica yoke which uses standard holden uni's.To easy.Tailshaft now runs matching unis.Listed the part number if anyone is interested.

#35 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2016 - 01:21 PM

Quick lap around the block,motor performed nice and strong and the gearbox is sweet.Soon discovered the brakes were shot and the diff was making some weird noises.Back to the shed up on stands and I inspected the rear end.Brakes were rusted from not being used and moisture had gotten in there.Decided to pull the whole diff out and rebuild the brakes and axles.
My biggest outlay so far, a complete brake package was ordered from a brake service in Port kennedy.
It consisted of,
New Booster,master cylinder.Overhauled front calipers and new pads and rear shoes,wheel cylinders and skimmed drums.Got a fair packaged price.Also order the new wheel bearings all round.
This was the moment of the domino effect.
Got on the phone and ordered a full Nolathane bush kit for the whole car,also all new steering components and ball joints you name it if it could be removed it was going in the bin,All up costing around 1k.Least I know thats all done properly now. Next drama, had to build a press to get the bearing and bushes off. I built this 20t press with scrap steel for a total cost of $60 dollars,I can either used a 6t or 20 bottle jack.Worst part was drilling the holes.My poor bench drill feels violated after that,Plus i stole 4 spring off my daughters trampoline.Then a quick coat of paint.

#36 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2016 - 01:42 PM

quick picture of the front end fitted with a overhauled rack ,new bushes,and parts. I sand blasted the springs and fitted a spare shocks i had laying around to the front and rear,i will purchase new springs and shocks once i decide on what rims this car will have to get the right ride height.Does anyone know what brand lime green springs are,their heavy duty.

#37 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2016 - 01:57 PM

Hey all,gave the car a home made wheel alignment.Got a permit and hit the open road.It drove nice and tight and had decent brakes.It developed a horrible vibration at 80ks.So back to the shed,Once again up on blocks,removed the tailshaft and when I found some time I ran it up to final drive to get it balance.Few days later i refitted the tailshaft got another permit,and went for high speed blast.Finally the car was drove smooth handled well and had manners.Back to the shed for the next stage.

#38 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 July 2016 - 03:09 PM

Loving this.

#39 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2016 - 05:36 PM

Thanks Heath,Your hatch is coming along nicely as well.

#40 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:16 PM

Sorry all if this thread comes across a bit muddled,still recovering from my wisdom teeth being removed.Painkillers are making me dizzy.
The Lc was now a safe car.So i set about making sure every thing worked properly.New globes and Fuses cleaned all the earth points,got an original steering wheel back on it,and made sure all guages,horn and wipers worked.Wipers had to be stripped, polish the stems and regreased the hinge points. To this point, it has cost me about $7500 all up.1970 model holdens are cheap to make safe. I decided i was going get it semi straight and do a close door respray just to tidy it up and sell it.Then my mate big red had other ideas.

#41 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:31 PM

my freind dazzler,wanted to see this car get to itsfull potential,so he offered his services to spray the car for me.Just had to decide on the colour.It came down to 3 colours,As this car is a late 71 model, i could choose either Salamanca red,Indy orange or Sebring orange.Those colours are correct to the build plate and would be popular with the public.We decided on Sebring orange with Satin black,black outs to give it that race appeal.Sprayed a patch on my hatch and was happy with the choice.

#42 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:59 PM

at this stage i was going to bali for 3 weeks and left the torrie to my good mate,who i trust whole heartly to paint it.This is only a back yard paint job,but Dazzler is very handy and has professional approach to his work. Time frame was about 4 weeks to complete so it,so it worked out well.

#43 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:16 PM

I got the lc transported over to big red house,so he could work his magic.He's got good attention to detail and made sure it was straight and had tight gaps.He also fitted new windows seals and chrome trim. Have to say for a shed paint job it is absolutely insane.He never ceases to amaze me.Thanks again Dazzler.

#44 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:18 PM

also the last photo he sent me.

#45 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:33 PM

Any way my mate covered all the costs until i got home and it ended up being around $2400 in materials plus the deals we make between each other.He done real well.cheers cob. by the way its an acrylic paint job.

#46 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:50 PM

Insanely cheap. Awesome stuff. 

#47 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:07 PM

We help each other out,thats what mates are for.Im a mech fitter by trade and a coded 6 g welder.So i can get certain weld jobs passed.Its all about Karma.Should mention this Bomber ,that picture of you in the background of the hatchback and sandman .Your mate driving the LX could be my stunt double.someone gave this paper because they thought it was me in the picture.Had to laugh,then I find out im talking to the guy in the picture how strange is that.lol.

#48 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:11 PM

also I didnt mention the brake package came close to $1200 alone.sorry for the confusion.

#49 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:40 PM

frOck thats an old pick ,yeah thats me in the background in the white/grey/whatever shirt on my first and only visit to VIC, Matty MRLXSS is the lad with the LX hatch, Cant rememer the lad with the sandmans name, Brett LXCHEV took the pick IIRC. 

#50 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:49 PM

awesome,small world.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users