• 974 posts
  • Name:Trevor

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:04 PM

Battery charger I'd say

#77 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:08 PM

My own version of a "HDT Polariser"....LJ Rb30 got it guessed it,just a battery charger Ice.Also real happy with how the LC runs.

#78 _2ELCS_

_2ELCS_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:42 PM

Well done  looks great  i enjoyed the read.

now go and enjoy it  :D

#79 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:07 PM

Look forward to seeing you on a cruise sometime soon.

Forum run shouldn't be too far away hey Gene?

Edited by Potta, 19 August 2016 - 09:08 PM.

#80 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,122 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:22 PM

Yeah not to far away i hope

#81 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2016 - 12:47 AM

Hey team,a quick picture of the difference between a standard LC torana accelerator linkages (top pic), and my custom made ones,Not hard to fab project if you want to convert to a holley and retain your factory acelerator pedal....But this may change again in the future with upgrades.

#82 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2016 - 01:06 AM

Can't wait for those summer night drives too, Potta,It's going to be good to catch up with everyone in person..cheers all.

Edited by Caustic, 20 August 2016 - 01:08 AM.

#83 ribz0

ribz0

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Name:Eric
  • Car:LC Torana & 1975 South African Mini

Posted 20 August 2016 - 07:59 PM

A nice job on them linkages John!!!  a cruise would be great!! hope it happens when im home..... oh the joys of fifo.....   :spoton:

#84 lctriples

lctriples

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Name:paul
  • Car:LC 2 door, HR prem wagon

Posted 20 August 2016 - 09:27 PM

Great job john, keep the posts coming. Earlier in your forum you mentioned you were tossing up to keep or sell car. For what its worth, if you don't need the cash I would keep it as there are countless members on the forum who comment "I wish I didn't sell my torry .....years ago!"  Good two doors are getting harder and harder to find and you have most likely noticed that prices are slowly creeping up. I was at an old holden wreckers on Friday to pick up a set of lj horns and he had a two door project at the back of the workshop.  You should have seen the rust on this thing, I'm amazed it hadn't actually collapsed and  I don't think there was a single panel that didn't have tin worm including the roof. His comment was "normally it would go to scrap metal yard, but because it only has two doors, I/m gonna fix her up". Food for thought!.

#85 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2016 - 12:20 AM

Hey all,
Yep know all about that fifo lifestyle Ribz.Not these days thou mate.Your right on the money triples,many people regret selling certain cars in their life.
I had a HG gts 308 4spd monaro,didnt really rate that car Dinosaur.
Then had my VJ 265 4 spd charger definetly more exciting, awesome actually,That thing was permentally sideways.
Then I bought my VK SS, best car ive ever owned .Best of both worlds,performance and manners..still sad about getting rid of it for a VN SS, idiot...
Now Ive got my LC and V8 Lx Hatch.Ive gone off my hatch for now ( Ive been working on the LX behind the scenes).To develop the LC a bit more.
All 6cyl LC LJ owners know how rewarding and fun these cars are to build. Its not going anywhere just yet..Keep working on those cars team.

Edited by Caustic, 21 August 2016 - 12:23 AM.

#86 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2016 - 12:24 AM

Hey Team, Had a spare day to play with the torana,and decided with a mate we would atempt a cam change and also refit my celica 5 speed as I dont enjoy driving the Lc with the aussie 4,a good gearbox,but hate the shifter.Maybe because Ive been driving hilux's for the past 12 years.
Any way, all this work took place at my mates house, It was a case of removing the tailshaft and gearbox first whilst on the hoist,then removing the engine separately,less chance of scratching the paint.
We worked as a team, as I prepped the tail shaft converting the yoke back to toyota, my mate was stripping the engine.As I started reassembling it, old mate was cleaning the parts.
I end fitting a Wade 3/4 race cam,and somes speed pro anti pump up lifters and also fitted a alloy timing gear.Couldnt believe there was still a fibre gear fitted to that camshaft.
I apologize theres not many photos as we were just getting stuck into it.Ended up being a 9 1/2 hour marathon between beers and sandwichs ,but got it done with no leaks or scratches.Awesome also, that my old mate has all the gear and no idea..haha, sorry cob.
True friend for the past 26 years.
After breaking the cam in, neighbours must of loved that in the afternoon.We gave the car a shake down, best way to describe it.Reminds me of a 2 stroke KX80 when it hits its power band. The car pulls from about 2500 to about 6000 its all smiles.Feels like I need to get the more fuel into the engine, but thats another project,cheers all.

#87 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 04 September 2016 - 12:33 AM

Saw this in person tonight and it looks great.

I would love to see this next to Marty's car, they look to be almost the exact same colour and it looks great on the little Toranas.

The kids were arguing about whether it is red or orange lol.

Nice to meet you Johnny, sorry I wasn't very talkative, been a long few weeks at work and I was ready for a sleep lol.

#88 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:34 PM

Thanks Potta, my sleeve was wet from all the drool that night.So many shit hot cars at one place,the south bound meet up, craps on any car show.That Blown big block in a 66 SS Nova.....oh yeah...more drool...hope to see more gmh torana boys there, Cheers all.

Edited by Caustic, 05 September 2016 - 08:35 PM.

#89 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2016 - 11:58 PM

Hey all,just a quick update,Ive managed to spin loose my (dont have the technical term atm).star wheel under the rotor button to night just wondering if anyone has some expoled diagrams on how to rebuild one..cheers all

#90 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,122 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 11 September 2016 - 12:04 AM

How about some pics of that hatch John

#91 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 11 September 2016 - 12:21 AM

the spinning electronic distributor disc -  Power, Power, Power 

#92 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 11 September 2016 - 12:23 AM

It's keyed to the shaft with a tiny roll pin from memory.

#93 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 12:42 AM

I'll look tomorrow...........I'm doubting myself now.

#94 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2016 - 01:07 AM

Cheers Rod.

#95 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 September 2016 - 06:55 AM

There's a "v" shaped key that locates in the shaft, it is common to fail. The fix is to file a small groove into the wheel then fit a "Roll pin".

#96 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2016 - 10:05 AM

Thanks Warren for the tip,I took your advice after trying to find one last night on the net.
As Warren said, I ended up cutting a goove into the reluctor wheel under the rotor cap, using a hacksaw and file,
I made a short section of key steel using an old allen key, and it worked a treat.
Pictures of the damaged wheel,amazing that it can happen when theres no load on that part..
many thanks.

#97 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2016 - 10:27 AM

Hey Team,
Earlier the that day I decided to fully tune Lc to see what was going on after the cam change...Wet and dry comp test,reset the roller rockers,change the jets and timing and solve the oil breathing problems.
There was alot of pros and cons with this upgrade...
After the cam change the car was starting to smoke like a freight train,notice that the new cam and lifters were throwing oil directly at the pcv valve,so i fitted a catch can,which solved the smoke problem but a 40k drive would collect 100mm of oil.
Solved the oiling problem by refiting a factory rocker,still using the catch can it works a treat,with no oil collected now.
Comp test came up around 180 to 190 across the cylinders.
Changed the jets down to a size 60 and set the timing at 16 btdc seems shaper.
Now when Im out driving the car it has to be in 3rd to travel at 50-60ks..
Spoke to Clive cams and he tells me the cam Ive got,is the first design of the LJ xu1 cam..has around 449"..of lift,
I know thats not an accurate assumption, but when Ive got time, I will set up my degree wheel to find out what it actually is.Power band is around the 2800-6300..
some progress pics.cheers.

#98 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 05:41 PM

Lol................maybe that's why I was doubting myself? Probably seen both along the way. This is how I set the air gap.

Attached Files

#99 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:02 AM

Hey Team , After a full year of renovating my rental property i can start playing cars again.Heres a small rear suspenion upgrade i done over a weekend. Bought a 9" diff swaybar from a capri at a swap meet last year and got around to fitting it.Simply i cut the sway bay brackets off a VN commodore diff,made some 50x75x6 angle brackets and welded those to the diff and trailing arms.Only issue is, the i had to drill the commodore bushes to suit the sway bar,but easy enough.

#100 lctriples

lctriples

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Name:paul
  • Car:LC 2 door, HR prem wagon

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:40 PM

John, know the feeling, will finally get to start back on my LC-LJ project after a year of things to do around the place including building a rear deck/entertaining area. Glad you decided to keep the car, keep the updates coming! Paul 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users