UCgazman

UC's FTW!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • Name:Garth
  • Car:UC S̶u̶n̶b̶i̶r̶d̶ 5000!

Posted 31 August 2020 - 11:48 PM

So a few people were keen for me to do an LX wiring schematic like the UC one I did here - http://www.gmh-toran...-diagram/page-2, and this thread is for all my annoying questions (as unlike the UC one, I dont have an LX in pieces to check wiring on!). There are errors and missing info in the LX gregorys supplement too and I cant seem to find a clear HX diagram for comparison either.

Here's what I've got so far -

* Is the low beam wire colour brown or tan(light brown)?

* Is the Cigar lighter wire from the fuse box  tan or brown or orange?

* Where is the optional Fuel economy warning light mounted, and where does the switch go - and what does it look like?

* Is the rear demister wire from switch to demister purple/violet all the way, or yellow to the body connector and then purple like UC?

* How does the brake warning light & h/brake wiring differ from LH?

I've got the high beam relay and a few other bits sorted, what other differences are there? What did the ADR27A additions include?

When its finished I'll add it to the pinned LX wiring thread....

#2 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 07:03 PM

Hi Garth.

I'll try & answer these as best I can.

The lo-beam wire is Tan, the same colour as the fuel tank sender wire.

I believe that the cigar lighter wiring is orange & it's wired the same as in LH. LX owners out there might be able to clear this up. Does the lighter still work with the ignition key removed, or does IGN (or ACC) need to be switched on for it to work ?

I don't think that the fuel economy light was ever fitted to any Torana. I realise that it appears in the options list, but the components don't appear in the parts catalogue & there is no provision for it in the car. It was optional for HX/HZ though.

AFAIK the rear screen demister wire is violet (purple) all the way.

Early LXs brake warning light wiring is the same as LH. Later LXs (ADR31 3/77 onwards) were wired the same as UC with 2 separate lights, one for handbrake & one for brake fail. You might need a supplementary diagram for this feature.

The LX ADR27A wiring is the same as per your UC diagram.

A few suggestions. We need an updated LH diagram, or maybe just a supplementary diagram for the rear screen demister. This feature is an odd omission from the factory diagram, given that they even detail the audio system & electric antenna. Was the rear screen demister available from Day 1 in LH ?

In the UC diagram is it possible to detail the instruments in the same way that LH, HJ & HX are drawn ? Also, is the IGN B+ pink wiring run that way, for tacho & non-tacho cars.

Dr Terry

#3 Kevrev

Kevrev

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:73 LJ GTR, 77 LX SS 253 Manual
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 September 2020 - 07:27 PM

In my parts Torana LX/Holden Sunbird catalogue the fuel economy light is shown

M38269 catalogue June 1980 version.

No mention in the original parts catalogue though, M37758 March 1976

Attached Files

#4 UCgazman

UCgazman

UC's FTW!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 10:08 PM

Is the lower left globe with the separate yellow wire/plug in this pic the handbrake warning light?

Attached File  ulxs-l1600.jpg   213.79K   5 downloads

Also suspect the blank hole with the tape over it next to the brake warning light would be used for the fuel economy light (if fitted?).

#5 UCgazman

UCgazman

UC's FTW!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 10:23 PM

I believe that the cigar lighter wiring is orange & it's wired the same as in LH. LX owners out there might be able to clear this up. Does the lighter still work with the ignition key removed, or does IGN (or ACC) need to be switched on for it to work ?

The info I have shows the cig lighter powers on with ACC on a different fuse to LH and is a brown wire (would like to confirm this)

Early LXs brake warning light wiring is the same as LH. Later LXs (ADR31 3/77 onwards) were wired the same as UC with 2 separate lights, one for handbrake & one for brake fail. You might need a supplementary diagram for this feature.

I should be able to show both on this diagram

Was the rear screen demister available from Day 1 in LH ?

If it was I should be able to add it to the original LH diagram easy enough

#6 UCgazman

UCgazman

UC's FTW!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 10:30 PM

In the UC diagram is it possible to detail the instruments in the same way that LH, HJ & HX are drawn ? Also, is the IGN B+ pink wiring run that way, for tacho & non-tacho cars.

I didn't go into as much detail as most of the UC cluster is on a PCB - If people want it then I can do it maybe as a supplement with the two different clusters, would take a while....

I'll double-check but IIRC the wiring was the same with or without tacho, except for the brown tacho sig wire.

#7 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,309 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 September 2020 - 01:28 PM

LX Toranas have no cigarette lighter in OFF.

The colour is.... sorry, forgot.

It comes off a different fuse location too as you say, it's shared with the cigarette lighter.

What the hell... I can't edit my post.  :mellow: 

It's shared with the windscreen wipers. 

#8 UCgazman

UCgazman

UC's FTW!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 08:10 PM

So here is where I'm at so far, if anyone can see any mistakes or anything I've forgotten to add let me know!

50329100053_ef46f415ec_o.png

#9 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 13 September 2020 - 12:24 PM

Awesome work Garth.  Well done. Cheers Ron

#10 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,309 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 September 2020 - 11:45 PM

Bloody legend.

BTW, what software are you using for this?

I'd like to make a version that is obviously extremely specific and unhelpful to anyone else (one that's just for my car) and Photoshop is not a great tool for it.

#11 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 07:49 AM

Great work Garth.

A few comments though.

The dark green temperature light wire needs to go to the G2 terminal at the ignition switch, same as HX/HZ. It has the same function as the G1 terminal (for brake fail)where it momentarily earths out the lights wire as a method of testing the globe function.

Should the glovebox light be powered by an orange wire straight from the fusebox, so as it's not switched off by the ignition switch ?

The earth wire for the headlight dipper switch ran down the column & attached to the same bolt as the instrument cluster earth wire.

The early brake light wiring should appear the same as the LH diagram.

The fuel economy vacuum switch should have the earth return symbol on its mount bracket.

The ADR27A pollution gear applies to both auto & manual (this also applies to UC series). It should also be noted that it is only for July 76 onwards.

This reverse light switch layout could be added to the UC version.

Are you going to have the SL/R & SS instrument cluster (option U21) pictured on a separate page as they did in the factory LH diagram ?

Mention that the clock is also option U22 & that the fuel economy light is option UR3.

Dr Terry

#12 UCgazman

UCgazman

UC's FTW!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 05:49 PM

Bloody legend.

BTW, what software are you using for this?

I'd like to make a version that is obviously extremely specific and unhelpful to anyone else (one that's just for my car) and Photoshop is not a great tool for it.

I'm using the latest Photoshop CC 2020, but only because I started with an existing raster image and modified from there. I'm no software expert but if I was starting from scratch I'd maybe try a vector image program like Adobe Illustrator (which I also have) as its good for point to point diagrams and will scale to any size etc.

#13 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,309 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 September 2020 - 06:43 PM

Haha, god damnit.

I guess I better stick with it then.

#14 UCgazman

UCgazman

UC's FTW!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 07:48 PM

Great work Garth.

A few comments though.

The dark green temperature light wire needs to go to the G2 terminal at the ignition switch, same as HX/HZ. It has the same function as the G1 terminal (for brake fail)where it momentarily earths out the lights wire as a method of testing the globe function.

Should the glovebox light be powered by an orange wire straight from the fusebox, so as it's not switched off by the ignition switch ?

The earth wire for the headlight dipper switch ran down the column & attached to the same bolt as the instrument cluster earth wire.

The early brake light wiring should appear the same as the LH diagram.

The fuel economy vacuum switch should have the earth return symbol on its mount bracket.

The ADR27A pollution gear applies to both auto & manual (this also applies to UC series). It should also be noted that it is only for July 76 onwards.

This reverse light switch layout could be added to the UC version.

Are you going to have the SL/R & SS instrument cluster (option U21) pictured on a separate page as they did in the factory LH diagram ?

Mention that the clock is also option U22 & that the fuel economy light is option UR3.

Dr Terry

Thanks Dr Terry, I was hoping you'd look it over.

I think you're right about the glove box light and I added it to the horn fuse, but it would be great if someone could confirm this...

re: the headlight dipper switch, I'm not sure if the earth goes through the turn signal connector or runs separately?

I only noted the Transmission Controlled Spark Switch was auto only, I believe that's correct?

Also if you or anyone else has a High Res copy of the LH U21 dash cluster diagram it would help a lot in drawing up a LX version (I've added it to my to-do list!).

50341146777_091686bc90_o.png

#15 UCgazman

UCgazman

UC's FTW!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 07:52 PM

Haha, god damnit.

I guess I better stick with it then.

Hehe yep, takes a while to get the hang of it.

#16 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 14 September 2020 - 09:04 PM

Like this one?

Attached Files

#17 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 14 September 2020 - 10:36 PM

~ BTW, what software are you using for this?

I found a program called TinyCad (see: https://sourceforge....ojects/tinycad/ ) that's designed for this type of thing...

242229.jpg

I started creating a custom diagram for one of my cars but it got complicated real fast and I never got around to doing much more with it, but I believe the program is free so give it a look and see what you reckon.

#18 UCgazman

UCgazman

UC's FTW!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 10:50 PM

Cool thanks Brad  :spoton:

#19 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 15 September 2020 - 06:27 AM

You can get a higher res image from my scan I’d say?

Page whatever it was? 12-39.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!...x0uCmnYRBAXA2sQ

Edited by hanra, 15 September 2020 - 06:27 AM.

#20 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 September 2020 - 07:13 AM

Here's a high-res copy:

LH%20opt%20dash%20cluster%20wiring.jpg

#21 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 07:41 AM

Thanks Dr Terry, I was hoping you'd look it over.

I think you're right about the glove box light and I added it to the horn fuse, but it would be great if someone could confirm this...

re: the headlight dipper switch, I'm not sure if the earth goes through the turn signal connector or runs separately?

I only noted the Transmission Controlled Spark Switch was auto only, I believe that's correct?

Also if you or anyone else has a High Res copy of the LH U21 dash cluster diagram it would help a lot in drawing up a LX version (I've added it to my to-do list!).

Re: the black wire for the dipper switch have a look at post#8 in this thread:- http://www.gmh-toran...-switch-puzzle/

It shows the black wire sharing a plastic sleeve with its white counterpart & then meets the other black wire exiting from the connector plug.

Also the Trans Controlled Spark Switch was fitted to manuals as well. Both the M15 (3-sp) & M20 (4-sp) have the switch located the gearbox side plate.

From memory the only Red 6-cyl ADR27a motor to miss out on it was the auto trans 3.3 in the VB Commodore & even then they used the same trans they just plugged the switch hole.

On the subject of the instrument earth wire at the column connector, is that the only earth point for the entire dash ? The column itself is not earthed to the body all that well & in HQ & HJ which used the same earth point at the column, they do have an extra one to the metalwork at the dash surround. Is there anybody out there familiar enough with these instruments to tell us if there is any other earth points for the instruments ?

Dr Terry

#22 UCgazman

UCgazman

UC's FTW!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 12:26 PM

Also the Trans Controlled Spark Switch was fitted to manuals as well. Both the M15 (3-sp) & M20 (4-sp) have the switch located the gearbox side plate.

Gregorys UC diagram has it marked as 'Auto only' hence my confusion - I shall amend it!

#23 UCgazman

UCgazman

UC's FTW!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 12:35 PM

Also on the subject of the U21 option cluster, is there any difference between LH & LX (aside from needle/face colour)? Do the later LX ones have a separate park brake light? I've been googling pictures but cant see any difference...

#24 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 12:55 PM

Park Brake and Brake Fail lamp are seperated in the later clusters. 

#25 UCgazman

UCgazman

UC's FTW!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 06:51 PM

Anyone have a pic of a late lx tacho cluster with the separate park brake light?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users