AU thermo fan help

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2006 - 08:47 PM

Guys ,I looked at the other threads on AU thermo fan fitting and am finally going to go ahead and buy/fit a set soon as I can!= I have put it off for too long and the set is going up in price all the time!.From what I read on other posts the best way to control when the fans turn on is that VDO 95 degree thingee??,this sounds much easier than the other option of the wire that goes into the hose!!!. Does anyone know the price of that VDO controller now?

I have an elderbrock performer manifold and as was stated on the other threads this controller should just screw into the manifold next to the Temp gauge senders input,this controller is set to kick in at 95 degrees(only) is this ok or would it better to opt for some sort of adjustable option??.

Will I have headaches trying to shoehorn that fan set into the LX TORANA's(308) engine bay?? cause I measured the AU fan set ages back and it looked like there was no way it would fit in there!!?.I dont want to have to skim off metal on the siderails or anything like that = any other pointers etc would be HUGELY appreciated guys :D

#2 _JNR_ATE_

_JNR_ATE_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:59 PM

Mate you might have to skim some off the edges, i fitted mine and the only way i could get em in was grind it.
I adjust mine with a ICE thermostat controller, bout $45.
Works well and keeps em cool, LH 308.

Cheers
JNR_ATE

#3 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:23 PM

The au shroud is plastic which you will need to trim,no need to cut any metal.They do require some effort to fit but are well worth the effort.

Best way would be to take the radiator out & fit it up out of the car,much easier IMO & then fit it all in the car.Just be patient,I even managed to cram them in my lc.

#4 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:30 PM

Mate you might have to skim some off the edges, i fitted mine and the only way i could get em in was grind it.
I adjust mine with a ICE thermostat controller, bout $45.
Works well and keeps em cool, LH 308.

Cheers
JNR_ATE

That Ice Thermo Controller,is that a case of screwing it into the manifold? or is that the bugger of a thing that needs the wire pushed into the radiator hose that from what I hear is damn near impossible to get to stop leaking!?. I want to stick to some sort of controller that will just screw into the manifold,I think I will be buying the fan set next week so am currently trying to get all the required info on fitting them ...........

#5 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:06 PM

I used a tridon thermoswitch, it screws into the manifold. go to repco and grab their catalouge and find what suits your needs, the switch I got was set a little low though, it would be good screwed into the radiator tank though. mine switches on at 87, off at 82. I would go a 95 or 95 switch

#6 _Aidan_

_Aidan_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:42 PM

i took mine radiator in the shop and got them to install a thermal switch into the upper take with two plugs coming off it. Got them to flush it out while it was there. I run the switch off the earth wires, when it gets to temp it completes the earth circuit and the fans come on.

#7 _JNR_ATE_

_JNR_ATE_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2006 - 11:22 AM

Yeah thats the ICE one, mine has been in 6 months and hasnt leaked a drop. but from the other suggestions and ideas ur getting, it might be gone soon. lol

Cheers
JNR_ATE

#8 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2006 - 03:06 PM

I am off to buy the AU set this monday($260.00),I will be taking my radiator out and getting that fan controller soldered to the top tank of the radiator. I am told you have to alter/upgrade the Alternator?? whats involved with regards to that?,I dont know what amp my one is?,how can you tell?.

Many tell me you only have to skim a few mm off each side with a grinder on the chassis rails to get the AU set to fit in (BUT) the AU fans are 700mm across, I measured my engine bay and it measures at 680 mm across = WHAT???? ,what am I missing here.................

#9 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2006 - 03:15 PM

just a bit of advice, although you would think they are the same and they look the same do not get a twin set up out of a EF - EL they are way too wide, there is no chance in hell of making it fit into a torana, i already found that out when i was given one by my local ratiator guy

#10 _raceme_

_raceme_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2006 - 05:06 PM

just went and took some pics of my setup (au), should have em posted up tonight

#11 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2006 - 06:06 PM

just a bit of advice, although you would think they are the same and they look the same do not get a twin set up out of a EF - EL they are way too wide, there is no chance in hell of making it fit into a torana, i already found that out when i was given one by my local ratiator guy

Thanks ,mate!! I will keep that in mind when I go to pick them up! :D : so what did you do with the larger ones you had??= did they let you exchange them or what?. I am glad you told me this as Ive not heard the EL ones were bigger,I still dont see how the AU ones fit either though?? because as I said they are 20mm wider than the LX's engine bay!!!

#12 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2006 - 06:41 PM

a mate had a brand new 16 inch davis craig he was gonna fit to his landcruiser, we ended up swapping and we both feel like we got a bargain, i do especially considering i got this twin fans for free

#13 _raceme_

_raceme_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2006 - 06:54 PM

umm, my mate with the digital camera has gone somewhere so i might not be able to post the pics up tonight, i will have them up asap tho

#14 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2006 - 07:23 PM

ok i have this picture here of a twin AU fan set up in a torana with a 350 chev, i dont know whos torana this, all i know is that it is someone of this or the old forum, any way if i upset or offend any body im sorry

cheers adam

Posted Image

#15 _raceme_

_raceme_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:23 PM

LOL thats in a kingswood, look at the inner guards

photos on next page

Edited by raceme, 09 September 2006 - 10:28 PM.

#16 _raceme_

_raceme_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:27 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

as you can see i had to take a very small notch out of the lip near the battery terminal, and had to do major sugery to the fans themselves but it is generally straight forward. i turned the fans upside down and sat them on the radiator into the spot in which they settled. then trimmed them to fit.

#17 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:41 PM

LOL thats in a kingswood, look at the inner guards

photos on next page

oops sorry :fool:

#18 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:12 PM

Thanks RACEME,your a bloody champ mate! :D ,I pick up my radiator tomorrow= its getting the fan controller put in the top tank and also picking up the AU fans from the same mob tomorrow as well!(hooray). They are Original,not aftermarket AU fans($260.00) which is the cheapest over here in Perth= so I will probably get started on them when I get home .I dont know what to do when they are in place though?,I have no idea how to wire these things up??? I should take it to a sparky but it means I will have to fit the fan set then drive the car over to the sparky(about 5kms away) with no fan.

I dont like the sound of that?.............

#19 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2006 - 04:52 PM

if i can wire one up any one can, the controller usually comes with instructions, if your still not confident you should be alright to drive for 5 kms with no fan providing its not in heavy trafffic, even then you should still be ok

#20 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:56 PM

Well, I am still messing around with this! I got the AU fans to fit after cutting the holes in the shroud for the radiator hoses,removing the corner of the battery box and also having to grind a few mm's off the side rails?.I mounted the fans to my radiator after constructing my own brackets then slotted her in after grinding was done :clap:

I am having a hell of a time now trying to fit a TRANSMISSION COOLER!!in front of the radiator,it was my brothers sugestion to do this to avoid cutting more holes in the shroud and then not having access via spanner to the tranny line oulets on the radiator. I am having trouble making brackets for the tranny cooler,with where to mount them I mean= so I am trying to use the holes used for my radiator for one side of it and will have to mount the other bracket to the bottom bonnet catch. The Horn is getting in the way of the bracket I made and its as small as I could get to fit in there so one horn has to, come off.

Then I have to now extend the Transmission hoses to reach the Tranny cooler? with the AU FANS in the way I have no idea where I will poke the hoses through to reach the tranny cooler?????(ARGHHHHHH!). Has anyone here done this???,HOW? I may have to drill holes somewhere and poke 'em through but I dont really want to do that................................ HELP

#21 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 15 September 2006 - 10:15 AM

When we fitted a trans cooler to my torry, we bent the corner of the radiator rail on the drivers side back to give us enough room to pass the line through. It would probably be best to do this? minimal damage to the car. Take a look at your fan installation to make sure that the blades will clear this mod, and give you space to bring the lines through!

Good luck :)

#22 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2006 - 11:51 AM

Well people,its finally all in there now!! :clap: :clap: so today I am happy = I scratched my head for a while to fit the tranny lines for the trans cooler but I was able to pass the hoses through an opening where the front bumper slots in and come right through to the front of my radiator then connect up to the trans cooler.

I made one bracket for the cooler to sit on the drivers side and bolted on using the existing radiators bolts/holes ,for the bracket to hold the other side of the trans cooler I made an "L" bracket bolted to the bottom bonnet catch. One thing is I hads to take the horn mechanism off of the drivers side for clearance of the trans cooler(sigh!!) why is there 2 horn mechanisms??,do we need both??.My horn has not worked for years and never found out why either?

The only thing I have still not done is wire up the fans= Relay,Fuse etc as I dont have a bloody clue how to do it??????? can anyone supply a diagram or something I have no idea when it comes to electrics.The AU fans have that 4 pin connector on the bottom ,is it best to get the other connector that plugs into here and then brach out the wiring from here or what?? Scotty

#23 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2006 - 12:34 PM

You are probably only interested in fans going or not going.
The multiwire connects are for half speed, one fan only and I believe on the later models variable speed, controlled by the computer etc.

Look at the connection of the wires on both fan motors. Possibly one has only a black and red wire, the other black red and white wire. I believe the white wire is the half speed wire for the 2nd motor.
You are really only interested in the two red wires and the black wires. The two black wires go to earth......easy.
The two red wires should be run off independent relays triggered by your temp sendor.
Buy two standard 12V mini relays, they will have terminals marked 85.86.87,30 five terminal ones with 30,85,86,87 and 87a are okay too.
1.Connect terminal 85 to your +ve coil wire or anything else under the bonnet that has 12V with the engine running, this is your trigger wire
2. Connect terminal 86 to the temp controller and earth the other side of the temp switch. This is the earth for your trigger wire
3. Connect terminal 87 to the red wire to each fan
4. Connect terminal 30 to +12V such as the battery or starter terminal etc.

Youll need heavy duty wire and quality crimp connects, fuse can be put in the +12V wire, I wouldnt bother.

Anyone that has done this with the au fans please correct me if Im wrong here, just going by the connections I see on the two au fans I have in my shed.

If you have already converted to elec ignition there wont be a problem with the relays switching on, however, some relays may not like only 8-10V from the ignition wire when the engine is running but most quality relays will be okay. Otherwise youll need another source that provides 12V only when the engine is running. This isnt easy on the LH, but if you go to the fuse panel and find where the terminal where a thick pink wire joins it, you can take a trigger from there(to terminal 85).
For safety one should have it wired so that the fans can only come on if the engine is running, not just if ign is on position, a vac switch or lpg tachiometric switch is ideal for this purpose.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 16 September 2006 - 12:42 PM.

#24 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2006 - 12:54 PM

In addition to the ^, to test if the wiring will work, turn the ign on, disconnect the wire from the temp switch that comes from terminal 86 and earth it and fans should come to life!

#25 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2006 - 10:55 PM

Well here they are,The AU thermos in and going at last!

Posted Image

I just got her back from the Auto Electrician,I had to get some other wiring red-done so I got them to wire these up too but I wish I had tried to do it myself now as the bill$$$$ was huge!(IDIOT!). a few weeks back my work car(toyota T18) wouldnt start,so I was swapping batteries around at 5:00am! using a torch and to cut a long story short I put the battery terminals on the Toranas battery round the wrong way! :cry: burning out some wiring. I know I am dumb but was late for work and flustered trying to start the Toyota with poor light. So I had to get that wiring all redone ,on the upside it all works now(hooray) but today the fans did not kick in till she got to 100 (centegrade),the fan controller in the top radiator tank is an 85 I was told,cant remember what Thermostat I have in place now???.

Whats the prefered mark that the fans should come on at???,the sparky said I should have put the fan controller in the Manifold instead of the radiators top tank,which is what I was originally going to do but the Radiator guy said to put it in the radiator. I am told if put the controller in the manifold then it WILL kick on at 85 as the coolant there is hotter(makes sense),I need to test these out more though(only dove out 8-10 kms with them so far). While I am here I am using that TECTALOY 60 Plus coolant is this good enough??,what do you lot use?

Sorry for all the questions folks...................

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users