AU thermo fan help

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2006 - 10:57 PM

Well here they are,The AU thermos in and going at last!

Posted Image

I just got her back from the Auto Electrician,I had to get some other wiring red-done so I got them to wire these up too but I wish I had tried to do it myself now as the bill$$$$ was huge!(IDIOT!). a few weeks back my work car(toyota T18) wouldnt start,so I was swapping batteries around at 5:00am! using a torch and to cut a long story short I put the battery terminals on the Toranas battery round the wrong way! :cry: burning out some wiring. I know I am dumb but was late for work and flustered trying to start the Toyota with poor light. So I had to get that wiring all redone ,on the upside it all works now(hooray) but today the fans did not kick in till she got to 100 (centegrade),the fan controller in the top radiator tank is an 85 I was told,cant remember what Thermostat I have in place now???.

Whats the prefered mark that the fans should come on at???,the sparky said I should have put the fan controller in the Manifold instead of the radiators top tank,which is what I was originally going to do but the Radiator guy said to put it in the radiator. I am told if put the controller in the manifold then it WILL kick on at 85 as the coolant there is hotter(makes sense),I need to test these out more though(only dove out 8-10 kms with them so far). While I am here I am using that TECTALOY 60 Plus coolant is this good enough??,what do you lot use?

Sorry for all the questions folks...................

#27 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2006 - 02:27 AM

Dont know about the water in the manifold being hotter, water goes through the inlet manifold on this setup?. I can see two plugged exit lines from your thermostat, I assume there are some other lines for your manifold and heater? Its fairly impossible for water to cool down on its way through the motor, it can only pick up heat as it goes through all the coolant passages and will be hottest when it exists the thermostat cover. If your water pump is working properly where you have the sender should work fine......though it is right on the edge of the water flow. To test what is happening, take off the cap and stick in a thermometer right there, if it indeed doesnt switch till the water goes to 100C(well unless there is some glycol in it, then 100C wont be reached at the sender with the rad cap off), then the switch is at fault, and should be replaced......its only going to be a prob from there onwards. If it is switching at 85C and your temp gauge in the car? says 100C you have a circulation prob or a gauge accuracy prob.
Sensors for these are always going to be problematical, if you mount them on the engine then they will always get very hot after shutdown and run the fans unnecessarily when you restart the motor......this will happen with them in the top tank as well, and is possibly why you radiator person installled it as far away from the top hose as possible. Ideally they should be triggered by the temp of the coolant going into the motor, at the bottom of the rad, its just harder to actually set them at the right temp down there, if you have an adjustable controller one can tinker till its right.
Dont know about tectalloy60, suggest that you do run some glycol to give you increased head room for max temp before boiling, though the purpose of going to the trouble of these fans should be to keep the motor under 100C at all times anyway.
Did you upgrade your alternator?

#28 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2006 - 05:21 PM

No mate,I didnt upgrade the Alternator= the Auto Electrician said it was a 65 amp and would be fine??(we'll see) I havent had a chance to really test out these fans so I cant give a full report as such just yet. I am looking at the container of the TECTALOY 60 and it says= Contains: Ethylene Glycol 65/litre ,the reason the fan controller is there is because its a Desert Cooler radiator and thats where they had a screw off plug that I assume is there for the purpose of mounting a thermo fan controller there??.The guy I bought the fans off(Browns Radiators) said tp put a 160 Thermostat in,but I have no idea what I have installed right now??

I am not running any other electrical components in my car,even the cd player is now dead! but I am hoping the alternator will be good enough to cope with the fans and a new sound system when I put it in?.I spoke to the Auto Electrician about hiding all my wiring as I think it looks ugly and they wanted $ 400.00 to do it,this coupled with what he just charged me has made up my mind that I wont be going back!!!!,they use to be the cheapest around too:now are very expensive.
When it comes to the electrical side of my car I really dont have a bloody clue but if wiring is to be concealed it looks like I will have to do it myself!.............

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users