Weight of bare LH - UC shell

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2005 - 06:17 PM

If anybody has ever weighed a bare LH - UC shell, post the figure here. Don't waste my time with "my girlfriends, brothers best mate reckons..." kind of crap. An accurate measurement is required for transport and storage reasons.

#2 _thebigsy_

_thebigsy_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2005 - 08:26 PM

Are we talking... no wheels or suspension or diff or doors or bonnet or bootlid?? Or are we talking rolling shell? Two door or four door? Glass?

#3 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 09:39 PM

If anybody has ever weighed a bare LH - UC shell, post the figure here. Don't waste my time with "my girlfriends, brothers best mate reckons..." kind of crap. An accurate measurement is required for transport and storage reasons.

I dont know about you, but I can get a bare shell down to the weighbridge, but pushing it back up the hill is another story. Your on your own.

#4 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2005 - 08:29 AM

Four door bare shell. I mean everything that can be unbolted from the body has been removed. No interior, no glass, no panels, no suspension, no cross member, no headlining etc.

#5 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2006 - 10:33 PM

Anybody know?

#6 _bob_da_mob_

_bob_da_mob_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2006 - 11:41 AM

Its strating to look like noone knows so I decided to take a punt and ask my girlfriends, brothers best mate.

Hes not really a car person thow you see, and has never owned a torana in his life, so he reckons he has no idea.. Sorry!

#7 _TORANR AMORE_

_TORANR AMORE_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2006 - 11:58 AM

Hey Chopper, how the F*** is anyone supposed to weigh a shell if its not rolling. And you can't find that sort of spec anywhere. A guess is as good as your gonna get.
I have stripped an LX sedan down to an absolute bare shell and flipped it over a few times. It was as light as a boat. It would not have weighed more than 200Kg.

That is an absolute shell, with EVERYTHING that can be bolted or screwed or glued to it taken off.

#8 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2006 - 05:08 PM

Bare shells can be weighed. One way would be to have the thing sit on four sets of bathroom scales. There are several other methods, but they all require the shell to be transported. As I said, the figure is needed for transport and storage reasons.

#9 _Loki_

_Loki_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2006 - 04:34 PM

Bare shells can be weighed. One way would be to have the thing sit on four sets of bathroom scales. There are several other methods, but they all require the shell to be transported. As I said, the figure is needed for transport and storage reasons.

Won't whatever company is transporting it, weigh it, and tell you what you owe them for transport/shipping anyway?

I had a rear quarter out of a UC weighed in at 'about' 50kg from memory if that (this is going back a number of years when I didn't -really- care how much it weighed to make an absolute mental note), easily liftable by two people (liftable by one but too large to carry)

That's a 1/4 of a bare shell, which puts the entire thing probably around the 200-250 mark give or take few tens of kilo's.

Edited by Loki, 16 January 2006 - 04:42 PM.

#10 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2006 - 07:33 PM

Occupational Health and Safety Regulations ( along with the unions ) require an accurate figure before it leaves my property.

#11 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 07:38 PM

Wanna borrow my bathroom scales? Just need 3 others to help.

#12 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2006 - 07:44 PM

I am seriously considering this option...

#13 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2006 - 11:44 AM

One way would be to have the thing sit on four sets of bathroom scales.

i think big dub sells them for like 20 bucks. if you dont get em dirty, take them back once your done.

#14 _Cane_It_

_Cane_It_
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2006 - 06:01 PM

one way would be to sling the shell and lift with an engine crane in from the side or block and tackle from the shed roof, you would need a loadcell (should be able to hire from techrentals which would be near walking distance from you) between the car and the lifting device.... the top of the doors in the shell should support the weight of the bare shell if distortion is a worry. hope it helps.

#15 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:35 PM

Tech Rentals is one of our accounts.

#16 _Baronvonrort_

_Baronvonrort_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:50 PM

Hurry up and weigh it CHOPPER we are curious..

#17 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:57 PM

At the moment my UC is a bare shell, but not for long. Do we have three people who wish to loan me their bathroom scales for about an hour on Saturday?

#18 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 January 2006 - 07:37 PM

Here's one, I can ask the next door neighbours if you'd like mate!

#19 _bones_

_bones_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2006 - 08:54 PM

An accurate weight from 4 different bathroom scales? Just as dodgy as guessing I reckon.

#20 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2006 - 09:12 PM

An accurate weight from 4 different bathroom scales? Just as dodgy as guessing I reckon.

how would it be dodgey??
if all of the weight of the car is placed on the scales, no matter howmany you had, and added them all together, you have your answer.

#21 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:12 PM

The dodgy part would be assuming the scales are accurate. Just ask any female who's trying to lose weight.

#22 _bones_

_bones_
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2006 - 05:27 PM

The dodgy part that I was talking about was the accuracy of the scales, not the method.

You could always use the old "kids see-saw with torana body shell on on side and a water tank on the other side trick". All you have to do then is measure how many litres it takes to balance it, minus the weight of the tank= weight of body shell in kgs.

Let me know if it works. I might patent the idea.
If it doesn't work, you break the kids see-saw and flood the neighbours yard, it wasn't my idea.

Might be easier to take a punt on 4 bathroom scales.

Bones.

#23 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2006 - 08:36 PM

If you are thorough and careful about it, you can do it with one set of scales. Support the shell firmly at four or whatever number of points you choose and have pieces of wood the same height as your scales under each support. Slide out the pieces of wood one at a time and replace by the scales at each support and add all the readings. Establish the accuracy of your scales by comparison with know good ones, or typically bathroom scales are within a kilo, so your final reading should be withing 4 or 5kg. Its not perfect(if the load at each support is significantly different, the compression of the scales will change their height slightly), but it should get you close.

#24 _T0rana_

_T0rana_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:07 AM

weight all the crap you took off the car, then subtract from the total weight of a uc?

Effort++

,nathan

#25 _TORANR AMORE_

_TORANR AMORE_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:18 AM

Or you can hang it from the ceiling with 10 fish scales,.... LOL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users