under steer

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:08 PM

i have a LX SLR with factory front and rear sway bars, as im begining to push it more im discovering that is suffers alot from understeer, i remember sometime ago seeing an interview with larry perkins were he says that the toranas were notorious for that, im wondering how i would over come this? it has some form of lowered springs that were already on it and ive put brand new gabriel ultra shockers on it. i know that if i was to remove one of my sway bars that will change things but it kinda defeats the purpose of having sway bays. i know there are few of you guys who race toranas, how have you fixed this problem or have you just learned to put up with it?

#2 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:17 PM

Ahh..gee! Ask me sumthin hard!
Throw the rear bar away..get a stiffer front bar...Problem solvered!
Rule of thumb...
Understeer...lots more front sway bay
Oversteer (Fords)..BIG rear swaybar.
These are basic settings but you get the idea and...it works! :spoton:
R

#3 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2006 - 12:07 AM

Start with an alignment. Try setting castor at +1.5 degrees and camber at -2.0 degrees. Total toe-in should be around 2 MM. Do that and see how you go.

#4 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2006 - 01:43 AM

the wheel alignment was done recently and i believe to L34 specs. wasnt the idea behind the rear sway bar to stop oversteer?

#5 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:02 AM

^^^ WRONG!
I have no further comments at this time........

Cheers Greg..

#6 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:06 AM

Ask Shevster what a Torana handles like with no front bar and a rear one fitted at speed at Sandown..interesting.
R

#7 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2006 - 09:34 AM

^^^ WRONG!
I have no further comments at this time........

Cheers Greg..

WTF?

#8 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2006 - 10:56 AM

WTF?

don't worry about it! nothing to do with you..:D
To help you further i need you to do a couple of things...
1st: is the car used mainly road or mainly track?
2nd: are you prepared to compromise the road performance/tyre wear to gain some track performance?
3rd: read this page...
Understanding oversteer/understeer
Then post your questions i will be pleased to assist you LX8VD69

Cheers Greg..

#9 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2006 - 11:19 AM

Thats interesting reading...Direct opposite on the swaybar adjustments John Shepherd and Frank Matich used on there race cars...I sent it to Franks old suspension mechanic. He just commented..bit different to my settings...but..each to his own. My "rule of thumb'' basic description has worked for me for 30 years.
R

#10 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2006 - 11:54 AM

thanks guys, at this stage the car is mostly for road use, but when i have it all sorted and im a little bit more financial secure i want to build a car for the classic adelaide, i believe i have good power coming out of the motor i have and i can always learn how to get more so im now learning about handling. i wil be approaching my mates dad who used to race a ex brian sampson triumph spitfire back in the late 60s and i know he still has the car and it looks like he will be putting it back on the track again so im gonna go and talk to him to learn as much as i can as im sure he would have learnt alot the hard way. so like i said for now im just playing and learning all i can to improve things at moderate speeds before i start pushing the car abd myself to the limits so all advice is greatly appreciated, thanks for your help :spoton: :spoton: :spoton: :spoton: :spoton:

#11 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2006 - 04:37 PM

Yeah get lots of opinions. Books are good but there is nothing like dealing with the engineers that set these things up...road or track. Never seen 2 drivers/riders yet with the same opinion on what works in a race car/bike..suspension or tyre pressures. What works for me doesnt neccessarily work for some one else...maybe I just drive different?..Learnt that one from Randy Mamola...no one rides anything like him! :huh:
R

#12 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:45 PM

the wheel alignment was done recently and i believe to L34 specs. wasnt the idea behind the rear sway bar to stop oversteer?

L34 specs are crap. Negative castor and virtually zero camber. If it was set there, install ( 3 ) 1/8" shims in each front position and ( 4 ) 1/8" shims in each rear position and get the toe in re-set. Just don't drive it too far between installing the shims and re-setting the toe-in. Ideally, do it in their carpark if they don't mind. Getting the wheel alignment fined tuned is much cheaper than buying a new sway bar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users