Hei required

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 _gstar_

_gstar_
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:42 PM

looking for best all round performance msd / other ignition, for a 202, Wondering what other people are using.

Cheers

#2 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:53 PM

In the grunt hunt series done by the bogan bible "Street Machine" they found the factory HEI was very good..they put it up against a crane system (i think) and they only got 2 kw more power....if you ask me 2 kw isn't worth the extra money..a commodore HEI is worth about $50...I'll bet you cant get a crane or MSD ect for anywhere near that.

#3 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:58 PM

here it is:

http://www.carpoint....pointau&id=7229

#4 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 12:45 PM

Yep, the factory one is very good. If it's seen a few km though, get it rebuilt, and fork out for a new module (around $50 - preferrably Bosch brand) if you can afford it. Keep the old one in the glovebox as an emergency spare.

The HEI units rely on a rotor spinning inside a stator to trigger a spark. The clearances between the rotor and stator are very small and critical - any dizzy shaft bearing wear can affect the clearance, hence the tip to rebuild it. This applies to most HEI units these days, not just the factory ones.

Don't forget they need 12 volts to work effectively, so you shouldn't really just drop it in to an engine without modifying the ignition wiring. It will probably still work, but not to it's best ability.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users