LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 12 October 2006 - 12:38 PM

So what's everyone's preferred methods to ensure good sealing of rocker cover gaskets? My V8 Chev has started developing leaks since fitting my new rocker covers (fitted with Speco rubber gaskets which didn't seem to be the best fit over my studs).

In the past, I used to run Felpro rubber gaskets and never had any drama's with them fitted dry. Not totally sure yet if my new leaks are more from the Speco gaskets or the new rocker covers (Billet Specialties).

I've ordered some proper Felpro gaskets again - should I fit them dry or use some sealer on them? If so, what? Ultra-Black or something?

I am sick of these leaks, it's driving me insane... smoking as it burns and it stinks too!!!

#2 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2006 - 12:48 PM

My billet specialties rocker covers never leaked with felpro gaskets, fitted dry no sealant

#3 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2006 - 01:38 PM

Not sure about rubber gaskets but I fir the cork ones dry.

The major problem I have encountered with peoples rocker covers leaking is due to the fact they overtighten them, a gentle nip is all thats required, however once overtightened they will always leak IMHO.

My next set of gaskets will be rubber!

Herne

#4 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:56 PM

DOnt use anything but the felpro gaskets mate!

Felpro part no: 1604.

I smear some vaseline on each side... just a small ammount to help stop them from sticking to the metal and tearing when you take off the rocker covers to do tappets.

Seriously... i HATE rubber gaskets.. especially those speco branded ones.. with a passion... Since i fitted the fel-pro gasket ive had no more hassle!!

#5 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2006 - 08:30 PM

Thanks Tiny, seems like sound advice gained from experience :)

No need for me to try them now. Will stick with felpro.

Cheers
Herne

#6 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 12 October 2006 - 08:43 PM

Mate.. blood sweat and tears!! and i literally mean all of the above!

I ( we) damaged my existing fel pro gaskets when we changed rocker covers to the alloy ones i'm now running. So after loosing a large quantity of oil over the exhaust headers ( what a mess.. what a smell!!) I went to buy another set of the fel-pros. Only to be told they were $160 a pair!!!

I freaked at the price and so i bought the $30 speco brand heaps of rubber SHIT.. and spent an afternoon fitting them.. And yes.. i know it should take no more than half an hour.. but i do mean an afternoon.

I took teh car for a run.. and Yep.. leaked WORSE than the damaged old ones!

SO... i managed to buy a set from the parts supplier who supplies my engine builder for the pricely sum of $55!! And seriosuly have never looked back!

I had to buy some longer engineering stufs for teh rocker covers as the existing studs were too small.. but $8 later all is well!
And not a drop of oil has passed these gaskets... I can certainly say that these are worth ever cent ( and even if i have to pay $160.. i WILL!!)

Cheers!

#7 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,002 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 13 October 2006 - 06:32 AM

I try to use sealants with adhesive properties. Just a bugger if you have to pull them off later.

#8 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:23 AM

I have had good success with this method...
Spray hylomar on one side of gasket only. This side faces the rocker cover and will stick to it once the engine has been started and warmed up.
The other side of the gasket I do as Tiny said, a smear of vaso...
Now when you take the covers off the gasket comes away cleanly and stays firmly attatched to the rocker cover.
I also just use cork gaskets... and using this method, they don't leak. Just don't over tighten them.
This works on side plates for a Holden 6 as well.
BTW: my rocker covers are off at least twice a month, so it makes for a fairly cheap and durable solution......My 2 favourite things.....cheap and durable!

Cheers Greg..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users