72 XU1 Sprintmaster pic?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2006 - 03:09 PM

Anyone got a pic of those self locating 72 Sprintmaster wheels?
I just bought one..stamped Jun 1972 and pretty sure it is one...real small stud holes.
R

#2 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2006 - 03:36 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2006 - 04:06 PM

Date stamp on the back is the same..Holes are 14/15mm on the back.
R

#4 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2006 - 08:58 PM

Wish they were all like that. The Sprintmasters i have are a pain to put on. :fool:

Steve

#5 _TOPXU1_

_TOPXU1_
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2006 - 07:23 PM

have a look at the back of the wheel the locaters are just pressed in not part of the casting anyone can machine up an press in the locaters for you cheers.

#6 meanmachine72

meanmachine72

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts
  • Name:Jono

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:08 PM

what is the change over date of when
G.M.H. changed from "NIBLESS" to "ALLOY"
wheels in 1972......johnno

#7 torry nut

torry nut

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:30 PM

wonder where you got those pics from Jamie ?????

#8 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:12 PM

have a look at the back of the wheel the locaters are just pressed in not part of the casting anyone can machine up an press in the locaters for you cheers.

the locating lug in the "rear" of the rim IS a part of the cast NOT a press in spacer.

this is clearly shown in the pic above

#9 _TOPXU1_

_TOPXU1_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2006 - 03:46 AM

have a closer look and anyone else with them have a real close look they are pressed in not cast.

#10 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2006 - 07:33 AM

have a closer look and anyone else with them have a real close look they are pressed in not cast.

If they are pressed in what stops the wheel coming off, surely not just the interference fit between self locating bush and the stud hole?

#11 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:02 AM

Hi johnno.

Quote:- what is the change over date of when
G.M.H. changed from "NIBLESS" to "ALLOY"
wheels in 1972......johnno

This has been discussed several times before, you might find it with a search. There was no 'change over' as such, because the Sprintmasters weren't actually factory fitted. There is no option code number for the Sprintmaster alloys. To my knowledge all XU-1s left the factory with steel wheels. All GM-H had to do make sure that a minimum of 200 XU-1s left the dealers with Sprintmasters fitted to allow CAMS homologation. The wheels were fitted in transit at holding yards & sometimes at the dealers premesis. To answer your question, this was all done around August/September '72 in time for Bathurst.

Dr Terry.

#12 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2006 - 10:25 AM

i just looked at all 4 of my rims and all have the self locators cast as part of the rim

#13 _Tangey_

_Tangey_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2006 - 10:20 PM

If they are pressed in what stops the wheel coming off, surely not just the interference fit between self locating bush and the stud hole?
The self locating lip only locates the wheel on the axle studs, the wheel is held on by the rebate further out where the wheel nut washer sits. If you have the incorrect
length shank on the wheel nuts they hit the self locating lip instead of the outer rebate, if you know what I mean.

#14 bryanw

bryanw

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 11:38 PM

so can you tell what rim you are looking at without removing it?

does anyone have any photos showing the differences, and what to look at?

sorry for jumping in.

#15 _sunburst_metalic_

_sunburst_metalic_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2006 - 08:15 PM

Hello All, I have 84 Globes on my Torrie no self locator, I had a set of 73 globes on a car in the 80's they self located much easier to fit the wheel. rgds Sunburst

#16 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:00 AM

I believed self locators were only 6/72 cast dates as were for the bathurst race cars for faster pit stops. does anyone have a self locating 73 cast rim? to confirm what been said above ^. and the 73 race cars ran 13X9 etc or there abouts

#17 limo

limo

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts
  • Car:most Torana models, Jag, Vauxhall, Triton, Staesman

Posted 06 December 2006 - 07:47 PM

Wrong area but what are these worth now?
been given 2 in last 3 months, saw them on two different scrap piles, asked each guy if they wanted them as I needed spare for set on car (haven't checked them for date) and how much? both said take them.
have same markings and locating section as pic above but can only make out 72 in circle not month.
I know one wants some old ford gear I have, he has 5 Toranas sitting in paddock so I offered to swap parts, no money, he liked the idea.

#18 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:43 PM

The 72 I just sold on Ebay for $284 is a self locator I have since worked out..better to go to someone who needs it than sitting in my shed.
R

#19 _1973bathxu1_

_1973bathxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2007 - 10:08 PM

the self locater is definetly pressed in i have many sets over the years and i still have them on my cars today i had 1 repairedand repressed not so long ago your photo tells me that it is a genuine rim there were 2 types of rims on the back of the rim the tyre bead 1 has a round edge the other had a square edge 72 bathurst sprintmaster has the square edge stamped 72 your photo dosnt tyre bead

#20 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 11:02 AM

Just out of interest, I have a couple of 14 x 6" Sprintmasters with the 'self locating' holes in them. I'll have to have a look for any date castings/markings on them.

#21 _sunburst_metalic_

_sunburst_metalic_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2007 - 12:22 PM

14" x 6" i think these were called Rally Masters ? Sunburst

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users