304 with a carby

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 _Phoenix_

_Phoenix_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2006 - 05:43 PM

Hi, i want to change from efi to carby on my motor, whats a decent manifold that will bolt on? will another manifold bolt straight onto the vn heads or is there some work that needs to be done?

cheers

#2 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 12 October 2006 - 06:46 PM

harrop and torque power make good carby to VN head manifolds

#3 _LHoon_

_LHoon_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:36 PM

On a standard or mild 304 I would choose the torque power dual plane manifold. It will bolt straight on.
TorquePower Dual Plane Manifold

Just out of interest, why would you want to change from EFI to carbi??

#4 _spud_

_spud_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2006 - 08:59 PM

If you want to change, don't bother about putting a different manifold on, just make up an adaptor plate from the intake of the normal VN manifold to a right angle bend and then bolt a carby to it. it is easy and makes them sound chunky as.

#5 _Toranamuk_

_Toranamuk_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2006 - 09:07 PM

Sounds like a "farmers" type of conversion spud, would love to see some pics if theres any available, would certainly go against the benefits of diong a VN head upgrade & do wonders for the air flow & atomisation of the fuel.

Seriously though, go with the dual plane manifold for a street engine.

Edited by Toranamuk, 15 October 2006 - 09:09 PM.

#6 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2006 - 10:08 PM

I agree with LHoon and if my EFI is not sorted shortly I will be purchasing the Torque Power dual plane manifold myself.
And in my case I am beginning to think EFI on 253 is more work and hassles than I would have thought.

Herne

#7 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 10:20 PM

To tell you the truth I love the efi set-up over a carby one,it can be a bit of a hassle to set up but it is so much smoother & nicer to have efi.

#8 _LH SL/R 5000_

_LH SL/R 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2006 - 10:41 PM

I had the Harrop dual plane on my old engine with a 650 DP, brilliant manifold but expensive.

#9 _STEVO_

_STEVO_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2006 - 10:47 PM

Harrop is the go :spoton:

#10 _LHoon_

_LHoon_
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:24 PM

... in my case I am beginning to think EFI on 253 is more work and hassles than I would have thought.

Just out of interest Herne, what were you reasons for wanting to go for a 253 with the EFI setup? Why didn't you just go for a standard 304 setup?

Wouldn't you have to spend $500 or so on getting the 253 fully dyno tuned, whereas a stock or mild 304 can just be simply chipped to suit any non-standard mods (cam, extractors etc)?

Also, I once dummy fit my VN heads to my old 253 and discovered that the valves sit partially over the block deck surface, so the combustion chamber flow wouldn't have been very good at all. I reckon it would have performed worse than standard 253 oldschool heads.

#11 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2006 - 10:35 PM

I purchased the 253 complete because I wanted the VRSS heads, the price was not at all over the top for the complete engine. I figured I can use the heads later on a stroker 355 or similar but am in no rush to do so yet. I have future plans on what I will probably do.

I have a dyno man I can pay cash to and the price isnt that bad at all !

Dont know where the valve story somes from. I have stated here a number of times the fit works. My problem stems from finding the right chip to handle a 253. This has been stated here before too.

Cheers
Herne

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users