Race seat for Torana

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 _Ants308_

_Ants308_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2006 - 09:00 PM

Hi all. I have an LJ XU-1 mock up club car. The seat that's in it has shrunk (or is that I have gotten bigger!) and we need a new seat. Are there any standards or legalities I should be aware of before purchasing a new seat for level 2S speed events, ie club sprints and general track days. If anyone has one for sale in Melbourne area too I'd be interested. Cheers,

Ant

#2 _V8racerchic_

_V8racerchic_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2006 - 09:36 PM

Hi Ants308,

I've done lots of track days and club events where you need a level 2S CAMS licence, and to my knowledge as long as the seat is bolted in firmly in the original bolt holes, and you can use a seatbelt or harness as per normal you should be ok.
Normally those things are specified in your supp regs when you enter an event.

If your after a good seat I'd recommend the Sparco Sprint race seat. I had one when I was racing in the Porsche 944 series. They are a very good priced seat that can also be used if you want to go into racing, with a C3 CAMS licence in the future. They can be used with a normal seatbelt or with a harness too. Revolution Racegear in Whitehorse Rd Mitcham is really good for raceseats.

Good Luck,
Cheers, Julz.

#3 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2006 - 09:55 PM

Julz, yup, seems alot of peeps are using that particular seat. If the car is road registered, you'll find that standard belts and seats will be allowed. Things change once it becomes a dedicated race car (don't know how they decide where the line in the sand lies on that).

Saw Ambrose during Bathurst speak of the aluminium seats they are using in America. Unlike the carbon fibre/fibreglass shelled seats, these have more give during an accident. Anybody know if these are available here yet, and price compared to current seats?

#4 _curlys torana_

_curlys torana_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2006 - 09:59 PM

i use an aluminium race seat for my speedway car i dont no if the seat ur talking bout is different or not but you can buy aluminium seats here in aus

#5 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2006 - 10:05 PM

Curly, you got a contact? Actually, might drop over and see DocDamage. Do they have padded inserts, or is that an optional luxury in Speedway? What are they like cost-wise, that will let me do the comparison.

Curly, it was a two second passing comment on Ambrose's Race Truck (ute), so not much detail other than a quick glimpse.

Apologies for thread steal Ant, just a question I've been dying to ask since Bathurst.

Like Jules said regs vary from track to track, check with your Club's local supp. regs. Best to go to a meeting, or track day and ask some questions before you part with your hard earned. You'll prolly find somebody has upgraded to a better seat, and might be able to buy their olden. Short of that, road going seat should be OK (not ideal) for starting out till you get it sorted. CAMS manual has the requirements. Believe seats need to complie with FAI or an international standard. You'll find most "sports" or "race style" seats sold in major parts franchises are not certified, so beware.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 15 October 2006 - 10:11 PM.

#6 _curlys torana_

_curlys torana_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2006 - 10:13 PM

it cost me $290 on special umm from a place in croydan vic you could buy pading for it but i just ran with the out.

#7 _V8racerchic_

_V8racerchic_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2006 - 10:15 PM

Yella SLuR,

I saw Ambrose talking about those seats too.. Very interested in them. I imagine that it will be quite sometime before they come into Australia. Then again I could be wrong, I only know about circuit racing, not other categories.. I can bet they won't come cheap either!
I can't help but think that if Mark Porter had one of those aluminium seats when he had that massive incident at Bathurst, he may well still be alive today. May have helped him, who knows, as Ambrose was saying that when they have a serious shunt the drivers seat needs to flex to reduce the impact on the drivers body.

Yes I agree most club track days you can use the standard seat and seatbelt, but a lot of people, me included, opt for a raceseat and harness for the added safety factor.

Cheers, Julz.

Edited by V8racerchic, 15 October 2006 - 10:28 PM.

#8 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2006 - 11:03 PM

^ dudes from the Club where on that corner at the time of the accident. Apparently Mark was frantically undoing his belts to get out of the car before the contact, that could be a fairly major factor. Do the Challenge cars have to where Hans devices? Even if the did, think they are only good for front/rear impacts.

Speedway/oval racing are sort of linked, so what Curly says makes sense. Most speedway drivers wouldn't use the padding, as I imagine it wouldn't be long and it would be heavily soiled from the mud.

It wouldn't surprise me if Speedway had higher standards. Just reading the 1989 Harvey/Brock book. Most of Harvey's colleagues/mates seemed to die in horrific speedway accidents in the late 50's/60's.

It's all a learning curve.

Julz, the tensioned window nets for improved aerodynamics was also interesting.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 15 October 2006 - 11:04 PM.

#9 _curlys torana_

_curlys torana_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2006 - 11:07 PM

the thing i liked about marcas ambrose's talk most that hey are all using the gauges unlike v8 supercars where there all computerised gauges.

#10 _V8racerchic_

_V8racerchic_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2006 - 11:34 PM

Yella SLuR,

Yes, the tensioned window net, now that is aerodynamic for you. Did you hear him talk about the perspex windows on the tray behind the rear window too. They sure know what they're doing in the USA.. big bucks spent to get those cars 100% right.
Hmmm I didn't realise Mark Porter was trying to get out of his belts and out of his car when the other car slammed into him.. Poor guy didn't have a chance.. I think the Challenge series do wear the Hans device, I know the Carrera Cup guys do, and like you I think they'd only work to their full potential with a front or rear impact..

Cheers, Julz.

#11 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:33 AM

Yes, perspex was also interesting, also they use them or don't use them depending on the downforce requirements of particular tracks.

I didn't realise either till talking to the guys on the weekend.

#12 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 16 October 2006 - 01:19 PM

These aluminium race seats ( http://www.kirkeyracing.com/ )are available at http://www.highperformanceworld.com.au

#13 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2006 - 04:32 PM

Yella SLuR,
Our cars require a solid back seat mounted at 6 points to the roll cage, most of us just use a store bought plastic seat. I have a removable padded vinyl cover on mine. I have 6 of our cars in the yard at the moment your welcome to come & check out. PM sent.

#14 _willo_

_willo_
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:05 PM

yella slur, don't listen to doc...he can't count. he actually has 7 of our cars in his yard at the moment...the best being the purple and orange machine parked at the front!!! also the junior car has an aly seat....worth checking out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users