LJ 4 Door to 2 Doors

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2005 - 01:18 PM

I think on the old forum someone did this, cant really remember. Does the LJ 2 Door car length differ to the 4 door length?
You would have to get an engineer's certificate right? What costs would you be looking at.

#2 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2005 - 02:11 PM

NVM, it turns out to be pretty costly
have to buy coupe doors, extend the pillars...=/
Mod can choose to delete this post

Edited by JBird, 21 December 2005 - 02:12 PM.

#3 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 21 December 2005 - 07:04 PM

the cars are the same, time and lots of it. I would think it would be too hard. You would need an engineer's certificate, but if it's right not much.

#4 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2005 - 07:36 PM

what if u went for a cheap alternativ... just welded up tha back doors and removed the door handle? well of course u would hav 2 cover it all up but>??? maybe.

Edited by postal_dood, 21 December 2005 - 07:36 PM.

#5 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2005 - 09:12 PM

would look dodgy.. what about the rear window, and the front doors would be noticeably shorter..

not that hard to find a 2 door to start a project on.

#6 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2005 - 10:24 PM

it's give it that "unique" touch,lol,, i havnt seen it done,,, or you could go all out and get gtr dash and flutes,,,, lol.

#7 kudu

kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Car:LH SL/R 5000

Posted 22 December 2005 - 07:12 AM

If you like I can try and get some pics of a local man who races a XU1 replica. He joined the halves of 2 cars, a 2 and a 4 door and you can't tell the difference between it and an original 2 door. (i am sure you could with a close inspection but at a casual glance it looks an awesome job.)

#8 marius

marius

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 12:41 PM

couldn't you just drill the rivets on the compliance plates, remove them, buy a two door shell and replace those plates? the police and road transport authorities don't carry or concern themselves with the 2 and 4 door prefixes on the compliance plates, only the engine number and body colour. This is the process usually undertaken if you wish to put a written off car back on the road; put the compiance plates on a roadworthy shell. You're not doing anything illegal unless you've stolen the new shell or trying to bodge up repairs. Go to a wrecker and buy a 2 door shell for 2-500 bucks. Then buy a carton, sit in the shell and drink until the ideas start floooowwwiiiinnnggg.

#9 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2005 - 01:46 PM

lol,,, ^^^^^^ man i like your style,,, where abouts u live, im comming around with a carton! lol...

#10 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2005 - 03:53 PM

couldn't you just drill the rivets on the compliance plates, remove them, buy a two door shell and replace those plates? the police and road transport authorities don't carry or concern themselves with the 2 and 4 door prefixes on the compliance plates, only the engine number and body colour. This is the process usually undertaken if you wish to put a written off car back on the road; put the compiance plates on a roadworthy shell. You're not doing anything illegal unless you've stolen the new shell or trying to bodge up repairs. Go to a wrecker and buy a 2 door shell for 2-500 bucks. Then buy a carton, sit in the shell and drink until the ideas start floooowwwiiiinnnggg.

That's rebirthing though - totally illegal! :blink:

#11 _gtr161s_

_gtr161s_
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2005 - 04:22 PM

Ive got the inner panels from a 2 dr left over from changing the quarters on my gtr and in my opinion it could be done fairly easily. I have a 4dr sitting at home and ive thought of turning it into a v8 2dr lc. So if you have time and patience go for it. Kev

#12 marius

marius

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 11:38 AM

okay, so maybe the changing changing the shell doesn't hold it's weight with you guys so well, but when you're scratching out a living in Adelaide, a man has to do what a man has to do. but, c'mon! you can't shoot me down for the carton idea!

#13 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2005 - 11:45 AM

I sure have time, but no money. Well I was considering buying a 4 door LJ, but I really want a 2 door. Oh well.
Thanks for all the replies - you crazy bastards. Joining two cars together haha, that could work but then might as well save that money and find a 2 door ey?

James

#14 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2005 - 05:35 PM

why not go tha complete opposite of what your saying... instead of buying a 4 door and removing tha 2 backs,, why not buy the 4 door and ADD 2 more doors... make a limo???
cant say ive ever seen a torana limo!

#15 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 December 2005 - 05:58 PM

lol nice idea but I don't think you'd actually make it a six door even if you were turning it into a limo. Or imagine a two door limo...

Now you've just gotta find a 4-door with a screwed rear end and another with a screwed front end, keep both middles, one rear and one front section and build up a nice long cruiser :)

#16 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2005 - 09:21 PM

YYYYEEEEAAAAHHHHH NICE>>>> i waz actually thinking about doin a limo, until i waz sober>... lol... it would be nice but...

any way bugger it bog up tha back doors remove tha handles and be done with it!!!

#17 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 12:29 AM

I'd like to see someone have 1 coupe side & 4 door side,then say it was the friday cock-up from the factory that was crushed.I remember reading about it on the old forum I think.It would look kind of weird like the 2 door that was turned into a hatch.

#18 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2005 - 12:51 AM

any way bugger it bog up tha back doors remove tha handles and be done with it!!!

lol, gotta move the pillars back so people have space to get into the back -

hehe and youd need a special license to drive a torana limo - that would look pretty sick. I think the front end and rear end of an LJ would make for a good limo =/

#19 _4door_LJ_

_4door_LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 05:26 PM

Then again, what's wrong with a 4 door?
All LC - LJ's in good nick are so rare these days that people appreciate 2 & 4 doors.
My 4 door gets heaps of attention at car shows. :)

I too did originally want a 2 door but my budget didn't allow it, so I got the 4 door.
I'm happy, the only reason I'd sell now was if a nice LC GTR came along.

#20 _gstar_

_gstar_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 07:01 PM

some pics of the bog up the back door option

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by gstar, 29 December 2005 - 07:03 PM.

#21 _gstar_

_gstar_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 07:25 PM

couldnt edit it twice, so here is a pic of a real 2 door to compare it to.
Posted ImagePosted Image
how much of a difference in door lenths are we looking at? anyone have some numbers? couldnt be more than 15cm by the looks of it, would you notice it?

delete the rear quarter window and fit custom glass.

Edited by gstar, 29 December 2005 - 07:31 PM.

#22 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 07:28 PM

YEAH sweet,,, might try that myself... lol, now see if u can turn it into a limo???? lol,

oh and if i did need a special license to drive a limo rana, it would be WELL worth tha hassle,,, 4 sure i would do it!

#23 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 29 December 2005 - 08:33 PM

Then again, what's wrong with a 4 door?
All LC - LJ's in good nick are so rare these days that people appreciate 2 & 4 doors.
My 4 door gets heaps of attention at car shows.  :)

I too did originally want a 2 door but my budget didn't allow it, so I got the 4 door.
I'm happy, the only reason I'd sell now was if a nice LC GTR came along.

Why 4doors lc/lj's are getting rare. People like me are cutting them up for parts to build 2drs. About 4 to a 2 dr, There is no reason why it can't be done. All floor pans are the same, same everthing except the rear 1/4 and piller. No harder than cut and shut. I would do a 4 to 2dr, than fix a rusted out torana or bad hit.

#24 _gstar_

_gstar_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 09:47 PM

Posted Image

#25 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:30 PM

^^^^ yep thats tha 1,,, lol,, wouldnt u look if u saw 1 of those rolling down your street!!! lol... nice job there gstar...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users