#1 Obey 1

Obey 1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:13 PM

Gday All.
A mate of mine wishes to get a tailshaft shortened .
Does anyone know of a good place in Sydney that does this.
Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks
Obey 1

#2 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:56 PM

Also looking for same thing as the diff place outsources this and it amounts to 300 dollars...is that expensive?

#3 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:24 PM

If I take my tailshaft with uni's already out and measurements ready to a local engineer he quoted I think it was $125, there about anyway.

#4 _mal_b_

_mal_b_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:36 PM

it's not hard to diy. measure the distance between centres of the u joints on the trans and diff, with the yolk in the right spot, ie, not hard against the case, then measure the distance on the shaft. cut as close to one side, preffrably the back, without goung through the yolk on the end as it is a forged unit and very tough. if you have access to a lathe, it helps to trim the separated yolk but just cut off the outer layer of shaft. most holden tailshafts are an interference ift and then welded, so dummy fit the yolk to the cut shaft and measure and trim accordingly. trim off the end of the shaft, not the yolk. reassemble the yolk in the shaft with the u joints lined up, not at 90 degrees. if you have a welder and are confident, put a nice even bead all the way around and it shouldn't be out of balance. if you are a bit unsure of your skills, give it to a mechanic of welder and they'll do it for less than a six pack. reassemble in the car and you're on your way.

cheers, mal

#5 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:39 PM

After any welding, it needs to be checked for runout and imbalance. Cheap insurance against headaches.

#6 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 11:01 PM

Try Propelor shaft services, there out Roseberry-Airport way. In Sydney.
Priced reasonable and normally a 24 hour turn around.

#7 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2006 - 11:13 PM

If you do take it to an engineer the method for measuring the correct length that I was given is, with the vehicle on level ground no jacks, insert the yolk fully into the box, measure from where the center of the uni bearing cap would be on the yolk to where the center of the uni bearing cap would be at the diff, deduct 20mm for yolk travel clearance and thats your figure.

#8 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2006 - 11:37 PM

Top tips. I might check out the roseberry place.

#9 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 11:53 AM

truckline did a few for us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users