urgent: UC fuel guage/sender

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:50 AM

My mate has just put his UC on LPG and the guys are trying to get the factory guage to work. Can anyone tell me what the ohms should be for full and empty?

Cheers
Marty

#2 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2006 - 09:04 AM

Mmm, no manual for the UC. Best I could do is stick the UC one in the shed on the multi-meter, unless it has figures in the Red Mallory Torana Manual. Can't do anything till tonight.

#3 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 09:12 AM

Hi marty.

The fuel gauge sender has 282 ohms empty, 97 ohms at half & 40 ohms a full. BTW these are the same as Commodore, so the LPG place shouldn't have any trouble getting a sender to match.

Dr Terry.

#4 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2006 - 09:34 AM

Thanks Doc! :D

#5 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2006 - 11:50 PM

As Doc has pointed out the correct sendor is a Axiom 280-40 Ohm. This sender is a very common one.
One would hope that the lpg fitters have already fitted this?
It can be tested out of the vehicle. It works by a rotating magnet inside making contact with various "resistors", use another magnet to rotate it though the full range to check that it is within the range specified. I did this with a new one I fitted to my UC and found the resistance was 30Ohm at the full setting, I contacted the manufacturer who assured me that they made them all like that, so should be fine......Im not reassured by that at all.......................gauge is still going but still dont like seeing the needle go well of scale, especially since the last gauge got burnout.........not by an lpg sender. Ive tinkered with putting a 10ohm resistor in series with it, however, this makes the gauge quite insensitive near the empty end.........where you need to be able to see small differences. It shows dead empty with 8L still in the tank, annoying and with the extra resistor in series about 15L making it quite useless at that end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users