help with koni's

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 _alx ss_

_alx ss_
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2006 - 10:48 AM

can some one help me with these shocks, the numbers are for a lj torana but they have been modifed to fit lh/lx. The travel is no were near the monroes that are on my lx at the moment. my question is will they work with lowered springs , i bought them off ebay advertised as lx/lh shocks. (I know Iknow should off checked the numbers) Posted Image

#2 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:02 AM

Bit lost here..what do you mean they are nowhere near the other shocks? Did you extend them and measure? They will work with lowered springs..It will just sit at the height of the car...hard to explain..I had a running discussion with this guy that they were LH shocks..he changed the description from originally having them advertised as LJ ones with about 2 hours to go. Dont care what the numbers say...they are LH ones. Well the front ones are anyway.

R

#3 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 22 October 2006 - 12:09 PM

I have a set of Koni's that I bought new for my LX which have not been fitted.

The rears shocks are part number 80 2299
The front shocks are part number 80 2156SP1

I took the following measurements by measuring from the centre of the mount point at the bottom of the shock to the bottom washer at the top of the shock. The min measurement is taken with the shocks locked in the adjustment position.

Front Min 222 Max 327
Rear Min 350 Max 577

If the front shock bottoms out in either direction I would expect it to damage the shock as the front suspension is designed to bottom out on bump stops.

If the rear shock bottoms out before the diff bump stops hit then I expect this will damage the shock. If the difference between the max travel of the 80-2299 shock and your shock is less than the difference between std height and the lowered height then I would expect the suspension to work as normal.

#4 _alx ss_

_alx ss_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2006 - 12:28 AM

sorry for the late reply. AndyCullen thanks for those measurements i will check mine out tonight . Rorym the front are not that much different to the monroes. but the back when the konis are fully extended they are the same length as the monroes when the car is on the ground so basically if i put the koni with my springs on the car ,there will be no upword movement in the suspension. any idea on how much extended movement is needed or how much lower do the springs have to be.

#5 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:09 AM

Now I understand what you mean. Go to SupaCheap..pull out a rear LH shock and compare them. Quickest way.
R

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users