Banjo centre swap

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 _mal_b_

_mal_b_
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2006 - 11:42 PM

Just a quick one for you all. With my plans to slap a turbo on my LJ S, I have discovered that my diff ratio is 2.78:1. Take this ratio and assume i still have the 13" rims and the turbo doesn't spool up 'til 3000, it wont get on boost until approx 60 km/h. Now, i have a HZ kingswood sitting around and it has a 3.55:1 centre an I want to do a straight swap. Are the axels the same spline? Are the centres interchangable? Failing those two, can I swap the gears over?

Any responses are very appreciated as I'm in a bit of a pickle with this one

Cheer, Mal

#2 _V8Hatch_

_V8Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2006 - 11:48 PM

I am sure the only difference is the spline apart from that is an easy straight swap.

#3 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 22 October 2006 - 12:10 AM

From what I have read, an LJ could have either spline.

#4 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2006 - 11:50 AM

Most, if not all HZ's had fine spline from the factory. This of course could have been altered over the years. Only 1973 Bathurst XU-1 had fine spline from what I've been told.

#5 _on the limit_

_on the limit_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:23 PM

Most, if not all HZ's had fine spline from the factory. This of course could have been altered over the years. Only 1973 Bathurst XU-1 had fine spline from what I've been told.

thats correct, all hz were factory fine splines, hx were combo's, corse & fine splines.

#6 _mal_b_

_mal_b_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:25 PM

so i would either have to get the axles shortened or the lj axles resplined or swapped for xu-1 items?

cheers, mal

#7 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:33 PM

Your only two realistic options would be to get a pair of LJ fine spline axles, or swap the spider gears in the HZ centre to coarse spline.

#8 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:33 PM

that makes just 1 realistic option then chopper, fine spline LJ axles are not the easiest thing to find.

where are you located? I have a 3.55 coarse spline centre sitting in my wardrobe.

#9 _mal_b_

_mal_b_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:00 PM

i'm in adelaide, so it would probably be cheaper to just swap the spider gears over. if only holden released LJ's with fine spline 3.9:1 gears. life would be so much easier...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users