304 in lx hatch

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 _lx304hatch_

_lx304hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2006 - 01:07 PM

hey there guys hope some people out there can help me out
i bout a vn v8 ser1 5ltr the other day and he also threw in a custom bellhousing and a trubo400 rebuilt box stage 2 shift kit
i was going to source up a t5 to put in the hatch but after reading a few articles im thinking mabie im better of using this bellhousing (thats brand new in the box might i add) and the turbo400, but if i was to do that how would i go with the fly wheel and torque coverter? i have the vn flywheel but im guessing i use that and get a turbo400 converter and put to gether mabie need to change the mounting brackets ??? any helps pls guys

#2 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 01:36 PM

you cannot use a flywheel with a toruque converter.
if running a TH400 you need TH400 flex plate.
just go buy a new one, there not expensive and you will know its history. (they can crack etc)

#3 _lx304hatch_

_lx304hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2006 - 07:04 PM

thnxs heaps for the help there mate, so i need a flex plate for a turbo400 and a torque converter from the turbo 400 as well, when u say flex plate they pretty well the same as a fly wheel on a manual then ??? sorry not very mecanicly minded, and the turbo 400 flex plate should bolt straight to my vn 304 motor ?

#4 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 07:11 PM

Manuals run a flywheel, autos run a flexplate, its the coupling between an engine and a cog swapper.

#5 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 07:22 PM

a flywheel is thick and heavy and aids in part of the counter ballance of the motor, a flex plate is usually sheetmetal (3 or 4mm) and whilst still holds the ring gear for the starter does not need the weight in it because the converter is soo heavy.
try to get the flex plate with the converter to ensure compatability. (some converters bolt up different to others and not sure on 304 crank if there were differences but a reputable supplyer should know)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users