Speakers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 _Ucmyuc_

_Ucmyuc_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:54 PM

hey guys have you got some pics of where you have mounted you speakers perferably in a uc whether in the door trims or the kick panels

thanx heaps

james

#2 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:15 AM

Hi James. This is on a Uc. The standard hole behind the trim is just about right but for a larger speaker like the one fitted the speaker needs to be pushed down a little of centre from the fact hole to avoid the window winder. The speaker fitted needs a large spacer to clear the window as the magnet depth on them is huge, as will any decent speaker you bother fitting. The ones fitted are 24 years old and better than 99% of what is on offer today. If you want good sound, this is where you put them, there is plenty of air space here to get good bass, if you want to preserve some vinyl door trims for a museum, put them in the kick panels where theyll sound about as good as your mobile inside a shoe box.
You can buy mdf spacers these days, looks much better than the plastic ones. The ones in the pic, did them on a lathe to get perfectly circular tapered edge.
Posted Image

Edited by devilsadvocate, 24 October 2006 - 12:26 AM.

#3 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:23 AM

^ DA are the cones on them paper, how do you preserve them?

#4 _Ucmyuc_

_Ucmyuc_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:22 AM

i get my trims today
ill see how it all goes because ive retrimmed them all and i dont wanna put spacers in them thats all

#5 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:46 AM

^ DA are the cones on them paper, how do you preserve them?

They were paper! Now they are kevlar, wouldnt recommend them over paper-though they are still very good, however, not sure on if that is just due to how they were fitted/repaired. The actual rubber/foam surrounds joining the frame on these perished and when I took them into to see what could be done about them, I was sold into replacing the cones with kevlar as well, ie the paper isnt going to last forever etc........wont cost a whole lot more to do it at the same time, sound tighter.....etc.
Well, they were tighter, didnt make as much bass.........had another set of the same ones to make direct comparisons with. Complained......told there was a running in period(been there b4..) took em out hooked them up to an amp in my shed, put them in a box of carpet to not annoy the neighbours, made a varying tone 20-100HZ on a CD and ran them for a few days at ~5-10w/channel. Did it loosen them up........perhaps, they do seem to have got a bit better as the years have gone by. With the second pair I have, just the surrounds were redone and the paper cones are still fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users