LX2DR

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
  • Name:Paul
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:10 AM

On my way along the Ring rd tonight, i saw the camera's being replaced.

The faulty ones that caused the government a lot of heartache were removed recently and are being replaced.

They are putting them on the original positions, so if you knew where they were before, it shouldn't be a problem.

If your not local and coming to Melb, watchout, they take photo's heads up & tails up.

They are on top of overhead signs, behind overhead signs & some are in between bridges, so you can't see them till its too late if you see them at all.

Only a 5% tolerance, so you can be booked for doing only about 3-5 k's over the limit.

#2 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:27 AM

sounds like you have more than one camera in a small location, are they allowed to book you more than once at the same time at this location.

#3 LX2DR

LX2DR

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:46 AM

sounds like you have more than one camera in a small location, are they allowed to book you more than once at the same time at this location.

Each lane is covered, 3 lanes 3 camera's.

In approximately 15-20k's, 4 locations going out & 4 locations coming back.

Wearing my brakes out! :blink:

I would like to see the stats on accident numbers before the old ones were shut down and after they were shut down, they have not been operational for about 18 months, would be interesting to see if their were more or less accidents?

For shore they wont let that one out if its tells a story against their idea's.

Revenue raising or safety, always the question

#4 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:52 AM

There are also no warning signs of where the cameras are in Victoria either!!! Luckily, going into Melb for Brockie's funeral, most appeared to have been fixed by somebodie's Mr. Hammer. A sea of white piles every 5km or so all the way into Melbourne.

At the end of the day, I think all these things catch is tourists to your local area, as the locals know where they are. I know the ones here do, but at least we have signs, although they are usually indistinguishable in the sea of other signs they have for everything else.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 24 October 2006 - 09:52 AM.

#5 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:58 AM

Speed cameras........love them.........I think they have lowered the general speeds people travel at.............and if the government gets more out of the leadfoots then they dont have to get as much out of me. :rockon:

#6 YiriSS

YiriSS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 11:28 AM

if theres a dollar to be made , the govt will make it

#7 LX2DR

LX2DR

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:00 PM

Speed cameras........love them.........I think they have  lowered the general speeds people travel at.............and if the government gets more out of the leadfoots then they dont have to get as much out of me. :rockon:

Do you honestly think speed camera revenue stops the Gov from garnishing your pocket?

I don�t think it makes any difference; they didn�t get any revenue from the old cameras for 18 months after they turned them off! And no extra taxes were introduced to cover it, worst thing is they had to pay back $$$$$Millions to people caught by their BS camera's that didn�t work properly, me included

I also don�t think its changed that many habits, except people have found other ways to avoid the things.

Like me, I brought a GPS that warns me of any/all fixed cameras, bloody thing never shuts up their are so many of them.

I also believe, normal honest people who normally do not speed are being caught doing very little wrong because of the tight tolerance.

Like I said, I would love to see the accident stats before and after, too see if it made any difference? Perfect opportunity to compare stats, they have a before and after to compare.

But we wont see any stats if doesn't fit with their agenda.

You must be a politician, if you believe them outright.

As I get of my soapbox.

#8 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2006 - 03:00 PM

Do you honestly think speed camera revenue stops the Gov from garnishing your pocket?

Yes, if they get a lot of money from those who like having their photo taken, they need less than the otherwise might need from me.....the last thing Id do is flash my lights to warn others of a camera! Just like I wouldnt warn someone browsing in a shop about the camera there either.
I dont agree that cameras should only be put at spots where there has been an accident history nor that their success should be measured by whether the rate changes at that site.

The unknown location of cameras should serve as a deterrent for motorists to stay within the limits wherever they are and effectively that is what is happening in suburbia at least. The argument that because you are not apprehended by a real policeman at the time of the offence, then the offence is forgotten is a weak one. Once one has accumulated a few camera offences, the majority of drivers change their behaviour, the ones that dont arent driving for much longer either.
The police move there unmarked cars and many cameras to many different locations so that people feel that it is no longer "safe" to be speeding anywhere..........thats good in my book.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 24 October 2006 - 03:07 PM.

#9 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2006 - 03:29 PM

normal honest people who normally do not speed are being caught doing very little wrong because of the tight tolerance.

Thats the bit thats annoying, its the people who are generally doing/trying to do the right thing who get penalised with the ever tightening leash. I'm all for stopping excessive speeding, and speed cameras are a tool in that fight but this sort of thing come to revenue raising IMO.

The wipe off 5 campaign has been given way to much weight in my opnion. We need to be educating (young) drivers about how to drive their car properly rather than giving them the impression that doing the speed limit with keep them safe.

Aren't those camera detectors illegal LX2DR?

#10 _hrt1and2_

_hrt1and2_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:12 PM

Are you sure there speed cameras? coz some highways and main roads that trucks use have camera's that take the rego number of the truck for say in adelaide, and then when they go through to melbourne the camera picks up the number plate again and the computer calculates the distance they have travelled and the time it has taken them, and thats how they determine if they have broken the law, or not.

all the best. azz

#11 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2006 - 06:20 PM

I thought those cameras were more obviously marked Azz... and i didn't know there was a Melbourne - Adelaide one. I know there is a Melbourne - Sydney one.

Steve

Edited by 73LJWhiteSL, 24 October 2006 - 06:20 PM.

#12 _chevy_253_torana_

_chevy_253_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2006 - 06:45 PM

perhaps the forum site should have a posting of where all speed cameras are located around victoria?

#13 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:02 PM

The list is available online. In the six years I've been a courier ( on the road 60+ hours a week ), I've noticed the traffic is definitely slower. I never speed in the Econovan, it doesn't have the power to do it!

#14 _LC2250_

_LC2250_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:28 PM

Go to vicroads ... they actually listed something earlier this year with all the locations of fixed digital and wet film cameras and the possible location of the mobile 'Tennex' subcontracted ones (they are the ones with the flash box out the front and the cameras mounted to the bumper).

Anyone remember when someone took out a speed camera on the ring road in Melbourne with a sniper rifle? Ah I can't find an article about it ... ah well

keep yourself entertained by this poetic justice ...

http://www.speedcam.co.uk/gatso2.htm
possibly a bit bit for dialups with lots of pictures ...

-Al

#15 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,077 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 October 2006 - 08:11 PM

The devastation caused to these Gatso's.

Haha.

How would they light em up? I'm supposing the tyre is jammed on it, covered in petrol and set alight...

RIM

#16 LX2DR

LX2DR

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 October 2006 - 08:12 PM

Are you sure there speed cameras? coz some highways and main roads that trucks use have camera's that take the rego number of the truck for say in adelaide, and then when they go through to melbourne the camera picks up the number plate again and the computer calculates the distance they have travelled and the time it has taken them, and thats how they determine if they have broken the law, or not.

all the best. azz

Definitely speed cameras! They are replacing the faulty ones.

The new Geelong > Melbourne Rd has also got cameras, but the difference is they do take the average as the Melb > Syd (Hume), Melb > Bris (Newell) and Adel > Melb (Western)

Devil, I drive 40 > 50 thousand K's / yr around Melb for work and been doing it for 24 yr's, I see what the low performance drivers do, they should barely be allowed in a car, just because they don�t drive 3 k's over the limit they avoid the radar, why? Because there are no cameras monitoring there behaviors. Why? Because there is no money in it for the Gov.

It's like any tax, what is easiest to get the maximum.
For example, petrol, beer and lots of potential cars.

What are the facts?
Where are the stats before and after, if there was a huge increase after they were turned off, they would be plastering it all over the media! NOT A F*&^ING WORD, Now, just more cameras!

To be brutally honest and this is only my opinion cameras do F&^k ALL to the road toll, because the cameras are not in the black spots! Mounted on potential victims, the trees!

Look driving is a dangerous habit; anywhere above zero is potential for disaster.

Better driver training in the 1st place would be where I would start.

Min hrs on suburban streets, same for Hwy's, parents & friends should not be allowed to train their kids unless they have sat a course on how to do it properly, most parents are only transferring their bad habits on.

(I did not teach my son, I made him go through a school and then paid for him to do an advanced driver safety course, he is a good driver)

#17 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:10 PM

I see what the low performance drivers do, they should barely be allowed in a car, just because they don�t drive 3 k's over the limit they avoid the radar, why?

Well, they are doing something right, they arent speeding, perhaps they are "higher performance" than the ones that are speeding.
I think one of the biggest problems we have is that there are people out there that believe they are "high performance drivers" and therefore should be able to go faster than the set limit. Adds like the wipe off 5 are for real, those crash simulations are what happens. It doesnt matter if Schumacher or a newly licensed driver is at the wheel, the physics of stopping distances and speed remains the same.
Most of these low performance drivers can pass a test without speeding, how do people lose the ability to drive within the limit?

#18 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:34 PM

It doesnt matter if Schumacher or a newly licensed driver is at the wheel, the physics of stopping distances and speed remains the same.

So r u saying a Brand new E class Mercedes stops from 100-0 in the same distance as my Hq does?

You could be travelling at 150kmph in a mercedes and stop faster and over a smaller distance than my hq doing 80kmph. and probably even a VT commodore doing 100kmph.

If speed and braking was the real problem, they wouldnt allow old cars on the road. But my car is RW and passes all the tests..

#19 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2006 - 11:01 PM

So r u saying a Brand new E class Mercedes stops from 100-0 in the same distance as my Hq does?

No, read my post again.....it doesnt say that

You could be travelling at 150kmph in a mercedes and stop faster and over a smaller distance than my hq doing 80kmph. and probably even a VT commodore doing 100kmph.

Well, thats what the owners of most performance cars think and obviously yourself 253Torana, but unfortunately the differences aren't as much as they would hope and are basically limited by the tyre/road friction coefficient at suburban speeds, limiting deaccleration to ~0.70-.8g for most tyres.
Perhaps if they had studied the questions in the learner guide about speed and stopping distance they wouldnt have this idea.
Just some simple arithmetic to get you started: 150kmh is ~42m/sec. The average response to an emergency braking situation is about 1 sec. The mercedes will go 42m before the brake is even activated, the HQ going at 22m/s, travels "only" 22m in the same time and would take another 35 m for a total of 57m.
The merc, lets give it real sticky tyres, deaccel at 0.9g, would take 109m to stop form 150kmh + the 42m reaction distance = total of 151m , compared to the HQ total of 57m.
Perhaps got to http://www.phy.ntnu....topic.php?t=224 and get a feel for it yourself. The question of what to do about all these vehicles with different stopping abilities, does need addressing........did you know that for a truck to be legal it only needs to be able to deaccelerate at ~0.2-3g......good argument that they should travel a lot slower than cars.
Perhaps next time you want to challenge what I post, do some research....then maybe you wont need to challenge it at all :rolleyes:

Edited by devilsadvocate, 24 October 2006 - 11:01 PM.

#20 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2006 - 11:35 PM

must have pushed a wrong button, the 150kmh to 0kmh at 0.9g takes 98m, for a total of 140m.

#21 _73lj202_

_73lj202_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:40 AM

From what I understand the new cameras on the Ring road are radar based, not the old piezo strips that they had problems with, So to detect them get a RD!

#22 Peter UC

Peter UC

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:39 AM

The reason I don't like the Goverment's road safety campain is because it does not teach good skilled driving. For an example I'll use one of there wipe off 5 ads the one where the man cleaned up the woman and if went that little bit slower he wouldn't have given her massive injuries. The problem I have with that ad is it was a quiet suburban street with no one coming in the opposite direction. In that situation a good driver would have swerved around the pedestrian, no matter what speed, and continued on their way with no injuries just a shock to the person.

Why don't they teach us good driving habits and ways to avoid collisions then just if you travel slower you will cause less damage, how about avoiding it completely and having no damage? I understand there are times when an accident is unavoidable but in those circumtances you should be travelling slower anyway. Luckily for me, Dad taught me this type of stuff but most people don't get that and driving instructors are only there so you can pass a test.

Interesting to note that in Austria they have set up a complete driver training facility with skid pan etc that every new driver has to complete. After this was implemented they have had a 24% drop in young driver fatalities.

#23 LX2DR

LX2DR

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:00 AM

From what I understand the new cameras on the Ring road are radar based, not the old piezo strips that they had problems with, So to detect them get a RD!

Not an RD, not legal!.

The GPS is completely legal and works a treat, tells you 800m & 400m out and again just before you get to it.

Like i said though, its worse than a bad back seat passenger, it never shuts up, their are so many fixed cameras out their.

P.S. i am very happy with mine (Mio 269+) & its worth paying more to get the best.
Can be upgraded (Software), 2.5G hard drive.

Heard that some cheaper ones dont work when overcast/rainy, the Mio works rain, hail & shine.

Mio 269+

#24 _73lj202_

_73lj202_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:17 AM

Correct RD's are illegal!, but if your game use one, Not many RDD's in Victoria and not used in the city, or buy a Beltronics STi. :D
Yeb already have a GPS unit and know what you mean!

Edited by 73lj202, 25 October 2006 - 10:18 AM.

#25 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2006 - 11:26 AM

is because it does not teach good skilled driving. For an example I'll use one of there wipe off 5 ads the one where the man cleaned up the woman and if went that little bit slower he wouldn't have given her massive injuries. The problem I have with that ad is it was a quiet suburban street with no one coming in the opposite direction. In that situation a good driver would have swerved around the pedestrian, no matter what speed, and continued on their way with no injuries just a shock to the person.

Again, we have the "but im a great driver claim and could have steered around that". If you watch the add in real speed, there really isnt much time from when the person jumps out and with the slow gearing of the steering in cars(a bugbear of mine) Im not sure if it would be possible to change direction that quickly. Do they really need to teach people that they could steer around things if possible, its a fairly natural reaction, many people doing exactly that and going into the cars going the opposite way when faced with cars jutting out in front of them. Regardless, as you point out in crowded conditions, like the add with the guy getting cleaned up carrying the pizza boxes, there is no where to turn and a reduction in speed would avoid the collision for all but the very unreactive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users