Photo

UC Bonnet Wobble

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
53 replies to this topic

#26 _Chamois hatch_

_Chamois hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:08 PM

my bonnet wobbles with all bolts intact, so dont get your hopes up......

havent looked into fixing it, mostly because it doesnt bother me that much.

cheers

#27 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:13 PM

my bonnet wobbles with all bolts intact, so dont get your hopes up......

You could have let Knoath enjoy the thought for at least a day!
The UC bonnet going right to the front isnt that unusual, just different to the LX/H. A VF valiant I drove had similar probs with the bonnet moving, it moved a lot slower though as it was far more massive.

Keithy:

Studes show that my steering column is collapsable where my steering wheel would rather i hit my head on the emblem...

Is there a translation available?

Edited by devilsadvocate, 31 October 2006 - 09:20 PM.

#28 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:11 PM

Translation - I have a collapsable steering column, it absorbs energy in the event of an impact and prevents the steering wheel coming forward and giving me a scar on the noggin... My head shouldnt make contact with the steering wheel because i'll have my seatbelt on...

Keith

#29 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 12:31 AM

Whether Keithy's meets the standards I dont know, but 1.5 inch diameter wood........would seem unlikely, but there is hopefully standards in place regarding the sale of these wheels for aftermarket use.

Anyway, pic below is how I like my torry to look:

to meet ADR the boss has to be colapsable, yes they are avliable.

love the wooden kick panels......

#30 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:13 AM

Is the ^ for comic relief Keithy? Just in case you are serious��.consider the following

Seat belts don�t stop you moving forwards of the seat in a collision, especially your head and chest, they will slow you down and not have you go as far as the windscreen��but contact with the steering wheel for the driver is inevitable, that�s why there are standards for the collapsibility of the steering column and the wheel itself. That�s why we also now have such things as drivers air bags(to reduce the effects of hitting the wheel even further), the Americans having a much bigger one to cater for the fact that a higher % of their drivers will crash without having their seatbelt on.
Its not so much that the steering column gets fired into the passenger compartment, it stops and the contents of the compartment keep coming towards it���the driver. The column only begins to collapse when there is a considerable force applied to both ends of it. Its not going to collapse due to the force involved in stopping itself, it will only collapse when deaccelerating a large mass ��.ie that mass being the person behind the wheel(if an empty car is smashed into a wall, the steering column wont collapse)

The protection of the driver is about having the change of speed occur over the largest time as possible and the forces that do this spread over the body rather than one area such as the head.
This protection isn�t just up to one safety feature of the car:
It starts with the front of the car, crumple zone, to allow a more gradual change in speed of the cabin
The seat belt allows the driver to take advantage of the crumple zone, by deaccelerating them at a slightly slower rate than that of the cabin�.due to the initial tightening and subsequent stretch of the belt. It would be great if the driver was deacclerated entirely by the belt itself, unfortunately the seat belt runs out of space to do its job in many scenarios and the column and wheel must be designed so that it doesn�t stay put��the holding bolts break away, the column itself can collapse and the wheel is designed to bend�..all to minimise the effect of coming in contact with the column and to allow the seat belt to continue to provide the major stopping force. Obviously if the belt is not worn, then the wheel and the column will be the only thing arresting the driver��.until they collide with the windscreen.
None of the above suggests that your wheel doesnt meet the adr regulations that were tightened further at the time of the UC, however, to remove or compromise such an immediate safety feature such as the manufacturers steering wheel from the car doesn�t make any sense to me at all.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 01 November 2006 - 01:25 AM.

#31 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:41 AM

The column only begins to collapse when there is a considerable force applied to both ends of it. Its not going to collapse due to the force involved in stopping itself, it will only collapse when deaccelerating a large mass ��.ie that mass being the person behind the wheel(if an empty car is smashed into a wall, the steering column wont collapse)

think about this, the base of the column is like mesh, designed to crumple, and near the top its bolted to the bulk head, which is not part of the crumple zone but an integral part of the chassis that the crumple zones work off, so if you hit something hard enough it will collapse, i know, i did, and i did not hit the wheel, i bent it with locked arms, sore for a month.

#32 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:44 AM

Got me stuffed, and I think there's a couple of other UC owners out there who may be interested in an answer.

Thanks.

unbolt the crossmember and install it into a LX, All UC problems solved.

#33 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:02 AM

so if you hit something hard enough it will collapse, i know, i did, and i did not hit the wheel, i bent it with locked arms, sore for a month.

Im not sure if this has been added in order to refute or support what I posted? :huh:

The column wouldnt have collapsed unless the driver was there, the large force needed to crumple it did come from the force required to deaccelerate the driver which was transferred via the arms in the ^.
It is likely that there is a shortening of the distance between the cross member and the firewall in a front end collision, this could force the release bolts on the column, though there is some crumple/deformation allowed by the steering coupling and off set of the the shaft into the main cabin by the uni joints.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 01 November 2006 - 06:09 AM.

#34 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:32 AM

Suggested reading http://www.sciencese...s/text/ch11.htm

#35 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 November 2006 - 08:19 AM

I don't have time to read this as I should already be at school, but DA I think Keith was saying that because he is wearing a seat, his head will be going for the steering column rather than the wheel. If he was not wearing a seatbelt, he would be going for the wheel.

#36 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:31 PM

Correct in a way heath! What i was pointing out it that because i have long ugly legs and long arms, my seat is a fair distance back. When i wear my seatbelt (in the event of an frontal accident) my seatbelt will stop most of me hitting anything in front. The steering column has been designed to collapse in the event of a frontal accident and prevent it poking out the back of my head...

It's about mass and gravity...

Keith

#37 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:22 PM

Correct in a way heath! What i was pointing out it that because i have long ugly legs and long arms, my seat is a fair distance back. When i wear my seatbelt (in the event of an frontal accident) my seatbelt will stop most of me hitting anything in front. The steering column has been designed to collapse in the event of a frontal accident and prevent it poking out the back of my head...

It's about mass and gravity...

Keith

I have the same "problem" as you Keithy and like to sit as far as possible from the wheel in any car I drive for the same reasons. However, it is folly to believe that will be enough to avoid hitting the wheel in a severe collision.
I actually have video of many crash tests(with the obligatory driver dummy) from several different manufacturers and unfortuntately in 50kmh collisions with fixed objects(which manufactureres must design to be survivable) collision of the driver with the steering wheel is inevitable with the standard seat belt. In lower speed collisions, yes there will be a better chance of avoiding contact.

#38 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 07:01 PM

Anyone remember this?

I hate how the bonnet wobbles over 80K's....is it worth raising the outer bonnet stops and lowering the bonnet catch? (I think I think I've got it as low as it'll go!!!)
Will a set of bonnet pins be the answer I'm looking for???

Got me stuffed, and I think there's a couple of other UC owners out there who may be interested in an answer.

Thanks.

He he he.... somehow got a little off topic! :spoton:

#39 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 07:20 PM

Thanks.

unbolt the crossmember and install it into a LX, All UC problems solved.

^^^^

#40 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 November 2006 - 07:21 PM

Go and get a fibreglass bonnet and still a series of holes down each side, install a bonnet pin in each one and hopefully it'll never move again :spoton:

Edit: ALX76 you tightarse, LOL!

Edited by Heath, 01 November 2006 - 07:22 PM.

#41 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2006 - 07:23 PM

Dunno if it is the same with the UC, but straightened my axle, and no more bonnet wobble in the LH. Could also result from worn uni's at a guess.

Still happy!!!

#42 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:34 AM

as far as fixing the problem, I think ALX76 has been the most helpful so far, honestly

#43 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:11 AM

I'd expect you to say that, makka....honestly :finger: :tease: he he

#44 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:21 PM

id have to agree with makka! ALX76 has the only rational explanation to it!

Dick, did it wobble before you did the engine change? if so it is probably something to do with the way you put it back on. all the rubbers and stuff are probably in slightly different positions..

#45 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:34 PM

id have to agree with makka! ALX76 has the only rational explanation to it!

:sucker: :tease:

I dunno....you LH/LX boys, when are you gunna upgrade and finally see the light? :finger: :tease: :D

If you go back a few posts, you'll see I worked it out! :clap: :fool:

#46 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 01:17 PM

If you go back a few posts, you'll see I worked it out! :clap: :fool:

yeah but that would mean i would have to filter through all that crap over collapsable steering columns.... haha

how bout you just harden the F%$K up!

#47 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2006 - 04:29 PM

i agree just sell the poo c and buy a LH/LX torona! :tease: :tease: :tease: :tease:

#48 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:46 PM

Yeah, that aint gunna happen. ^^^
Matty.......F@#ken BANG!!

He he he.

I reckon we should close this thread now...it's of no real use to anyone, seeing as how the problem's been solved.

#49 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:53 PM

yeah but that would mean i would have to filter through all that crap over collapsable steering columns.... haha

I dont think it is within the spirit of the forum to label the posts of others as "crap". If you feel something is not right, politely post your concern and it can be addressed.
Yes I realise you are bitter about being corrected about a number of things that you have tried to second guess me on:
for example

You could be travelling at 150kmph in a mercedes and stop faster and over a smaller distance than my hq doing 80kmph. and probably even a VT commodore doing 100kmph.

however, that is no excuse for personal attacks.

#50 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:58 PM

well it is totally off topic, so compared to the subject at hand it is just useless crap. if you want to discuss collapsable steering columns start your own thread on it, that way i dont have to read it. I noticed knoath had a problem and i was trying to help him out.

I know you like to show off a bit devil by using special formulas and big words, but honestly i dont buy into it and i dont think you are any smarter on here than anyone else, We are all equal on here and everyones opinions are just as valid as the next persons.

Anyway i agree with dick, the problem has been solved and the thread should be closed.

Devil if you want to have a go at me do it in a PM or in person. it would be a pleasure to meet you....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users