12 replies to this topic

#1 laspy

laspy

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 05:25 PM

Ive got a brand new heavy duty extreme clutch installed into my lx ss behind a 253. When giving the torrie a decent squirt and opening the secondaries at higher revs it feels as though the clutch is slipping. A guy i know thinks its a flat spot in the carby... it was never there before (although the car hasnt been tuned for a long time). Im paranoid that it might be the clutch burning and im ruening it... what tests can be performed to tell that its 100% not splipping. Ive put it into 4th and tried to take off.... the car will take off and start driving when releasing the clutch slowly. In 4th ive rev'd to about 3 grand and let the clutch go quickly... and the car does stall straight away. Still i have doubts that it might be slipping.

help any one?

cheers

#2 _LH SL/R 5000_

_LH SL/R 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:25 PM

You're going the right way to wreck the clutch already.
Did you bed the clutch in, ie drive normally for say 500km before giving it stick?
Was the flywheel face in good condition (ie did'nt require a grind)?
Is the clutch fully releasing?

#3 laspy

laspy

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:18 PM

after a headache the clutch was adjusted and is fully released. The flywheel was machined. Ive probably done just under 500k's giving it the odd squirt nothing too harsh.

#4 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:07 AM

i had the same problem, diagnosed as wheel spin.

#5 laspy

laspy

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:07 AM

hey ALX76 do u think thats a possibility? there is 3.55's in the ass but then again im driving a gurly 253 and theres 265's on the ass end. The 2fluffy would struggle to chew them up... do you think?

i just want to make sure im not destroying the fresh clutch... but i dont think there is anything i can do to help it... the cable has slack in it so the clutch must be under full clamp load.... :<_<:

Edited by laspy, 31 October 2006 - 01:08 AM.

#6 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:24 AM

anythings possible, mine was 253 aswell but with 195's, if you think its the clutch burning, give it a good going next time it does it and pull over and stick your nose under the car, clutches smell like brakes burning. (not sure if its ceramic what they smell like)
or have it dynoed, should tell you most problems....

#7 laspy

laspy

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:29 AM

195's and 265's are a fair go in difference. Well the thing is it will only feel like its slipping once the secondaries are open... and when it does feel like its slipping i back off the pedal and the car actually goes better. So maybe its bogging down or something? havnt smelt anything yet.... but that could be a start... still i wouldnt want to give it a caining 3-4-5 times and find out it is slipping and that ive burnt the shit out of it....

cheers ALX76 you save the day at all hours of the morning :spoton:

#8 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:35 AM

i think if its slipping and there is no adjustment, then nothing is going to save it.
i mainly had the problem at first on the express way in third when opening the secondaries, and then at almost every corner first thru second and into third as i ran the motor in.
dont ever doubt the ol 253.

#9 laspy

laspy

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:47 AM

i will concider all posibilities... its just got me thinking as this is a brand new clutch, brand new pressure plate and machined flywheel. Not to mention its heavy duty and is stated to suport way more hp then what my motor is pumping out. It just annoys me that after all the $$ spent and time wasted that the car doesnt run as smooth as it used to. It used to go nicely once the secondaries opened. I now hesitate to open them as it doesnt feel right at all....

#10 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:53 AM

if the revs are flattening out or dropping its a flat spot.
with slipping (either tyres or clutch) the revs go up (3000 to 6000rpm no probs in my case)
anyway you should have your car in optimum tune at all times, call it prevenative maintanence. (where is the spell checker)

Edited by ALX76, 31 October 2006 - 01:55 AM.

#11 _LH SL/R 5000_

_LH SL/R 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:04 AM

^^^^ I agree, if you try it again look down at your tacho and see what the revs are doing.

#12 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:06 AM

agree with ^, should see the revs jump a little with no increase in road speed.
The "old" way to test clutches was to put the front wheels hard up against a curb, put the car in second gear and try drive over it, if it stalled the clutch was good....
Perhaps when you are on the road again, find the steepest hill that you can and attach a heavy trailer and/or partially engage the handbrake, then give it full throttle in one of the higher gears while doing at least 2000rpm, if it doesnt appear to slip in these conditions.........should be good. This will be more effective in loading up the clutch and not have you going too fast either.

#13 laspy

laspy

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:14 PM

hey devils.. the would be the ultimate test.. although my the car is fitted with BANG-go and i wouldnt trust it at all. I will have to test it again. So if the revs drop slightly its a flat spot and if they quickly increase its either wheel spin or clutch slipping.... hrmmmmmmm...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users