lake side race way QLD

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:41 AM

Brisbane, Australia � Lakeside Motor Racing Enthusiasts congratulates Queensland Raceway for becoming the �preferred submitter� from the Pine Rivers Shire Council�s tender process to re-develop and manage Lakeside International Raceway. The historic facility�s name has been changed to Lakeside Park, but work still remains before motorsport can return.

Queensland Raceway owner, John Tetley said,

�We are seeking a long-term lease to secure Lakeside�s future and I hope to have a contract signed in about a month.�

Pine Rivers Shire Chief Executive Officer, Ray Burton said,

�Council is negotiating a management agreement and contract with Queensland Raceway which will include the times of operation.�

LMRE president, Ian Milton said,

�Assuming there is a successful outcome to negotiations, we are looking forward to assisting John Tetley and the Pine Rivers Council to develop Lakeside into a desperately needed motorsport venue that benefits the whole community.�

Following the PRSC announcement, LMRE committee members met with Mr Tetley to discuss the Council approved strategy for the famous circuit. Lakeside Park will operate as a �boutique facility� and seek to recreate the look and feel from its halcyon days of the 1960�s and 70�s.

Its operation as a motorsport facility will not be as it once was and a compromise has been made to limit racing to 20 events per year. As expected, the return of V8Supercars has been ruled out.

Mr Tetley admits that noise and other environmental concerns are of paramount importance to the plan as well as encouraging a greater involvement in the facility by the wider community.

Furthermore, Mr Tetley offered that Lakeside �must be the servant of many to be successful� and will be seeking to include all forms of motorsport with two and four wheels.

He said that it would be �unlikely to have a race this year�, but a re-opening celebration would be appropriate. The first official racing event is described as a �Renaissance Festival� and is scheduled for May 2007.

However, a significant program of safety improvements is planned for the track before then, including repairing the racing surface and moving armco barriers.

Ian Milton said,

�LMRE is encouraged by the common sense direction the council seems to be taking to create a shared facility that could bring real, long-term financial and social benefits, not just to the people of the Pine Rivers Shire, but the whole of Queensland.�

For more information, or to join the over 2000 signatures on the petition, visit www.lakesideraceway.com/petition.htm

#2 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:12 AM

"boutique"usually means expensive.
R

#3 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,123 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 31 October 2006 - 03:33 PM

along with "special","quality".....and yes "exclusive". should be great hey to finally have a chance for the younger public that didnt have the oppurtunity to see a proper race track in south east queensland.(without the long distances for youths to get to morgan park,which is great).
commendations to those involved during the dark ages that kept the site from being lost forever.

#4 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:30 PM

yer i agree arrimar! we need a track a bit closer to the coast i like how you say proper track . i use to help out a fella years ago who raced there in appendix j.
It a pitty the big v8s will never run there againe . :furious: bloody developers thay build the housing estates to close . so all the new residents complane about the noise . I wounder if thay would like the sound of your car rorym cracken a few laps at full noise :spit:

#5 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:52 PM

My only concern is cost to race there..Historics are thinking of flicking Willowbank as the fees to run the meeting in July.August have killed it...they are looking at building a new track at Kilcoy...35 mins from me. The hard part is the entry fees...its is really getting out of control for the average punter since the Biante boys all came out to play, the average runner like me is out of the game when they turn up with $250K rigs running a LJ Historic Torana!..Lakeside run by QR will quickly turn into a business that needs to produce a healthy return..Good on John for getting it back and running..Good luck getting the average Historic runner to go there. I still beleive that Historic Touring class should be as it was run in 1972...std brakes..not Volvo/A9X hybrid stuff and wheels should be Sprintmaster/Globe mags...exactly what was used at the time..that includes no Camaros or Mustangs..Just GTR XU1s, GTHOs and Chargers...bring back the Series Production races with Aussie Muscle!...Just my 2c
R

#6 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:57 PM

Most of the neighbours to Lakeside were at the first meeting and in full support of it being reopened. There were quite a few that had bought in the area to be close to the track only for it to close down.

Last meeting I went to they were only going to have "club" cars and driver training.

Wonder if the EH Club will have a return of the Power Nats at Lawnton then the Sunday at Lakeside. :)

#7 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:18 AM

yer tinkers i remember the eh car shows there, went every year .
them were the good old days :spoton:
it surprises me that you say the residents dont mind the noise
i thought it was closed down for that reason! :blink:

:D

#8 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 01 November 2006 - 03:33 PM

Apparently it is the residents immediately surrounding the track that have no objections but the "new" estate near by had a couple of objections.

I noticed that LJ Hooker are using Lakeside as a draw card to their land sales, eg "close to Lakeside Raceway"

#9 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2006 - 07:26 PM

ok i see humm" well we just wait and see i gess, and hope all goes well
for the new owners.. :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users