banjo axle

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 _lurkin308_

_lurkin308_
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2006 - 06:10 AM

if i pull out the left side axle of a lc diff can i use it on both sides so are they the same length left or right

#2 _gtrtorana_

_gtrtorana_
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2006 - 06:45 AM

Yes, they are the same length left to right.

#3 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2006 - 06:56 AM

the thing to consider is, there are rumours that the metal gets stressed in a certain direction on each axle and if you were to swap them alot of people believe this can cause them to snap, personally i think this theory is a load of bollocks, but its worth considering in case the theory is correct

#4 _lurkin308_

_lurkin308_
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2006 - 07:14 AM

cool thanks guys as im racing my car at calder tonite and i have a spare diff and i wasnt going to fully strip it so thanks heaps

#5 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 08:57 AM

Hi Guys.

We (my brothers & I) used to run a 308 LJ streeter at the drags in the late 70s. We didn't have a lot of money & we used a Banjo diff. At the start of every meeting we used to pull both axles to see how far they had twisted, if it was too far we swapped axles left to right.

We figured rightly or wrongly that they were lasting longer. Was this in our minds or not. We weren't using slicks & only ever broke 2 diffs & one axle.

Dr Terry.

#6 _ingles_

_ingles_
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2006 - 11:45 AM

A lot of speedway guys used to run torrys; one of the tricks was to get the axles turned down so they are the same diameter as the bearing surface-they would then twist a lot rather than snapping .

#7 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 November 2006 - 01:21 PM

ingles This was also done to the SLR 5000 until the large Salisbury was made an option with the L34.

#8 _lurkin308_

_lurkin308_
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2006 - 11:55 PM

the banjo diff held up it was the only thing that pritty much did i broke somthing but not the diff but you get that when you cross the line and hit reverse and the rear locks up at 100mph lucky it was not running right i now own a pair of brown undies

#9 _on the limit_

_on the limit_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2006 - 06:26 PM

very lucky boy!! i've seen plenty of cars roll when that happens! :cry:

#10 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:37 PM

Personally I have done tests on this and the axles do twist. Because most axles are buolt as a sintered steel the metal composite is grained along the length of the axle. This means that the axle can fracture if run the opposite way. For this reason I do not run the axles the wrong way around (unless brand new) so as not to fracure them. I have had a axle let go in my VH 5L before because the axles had been swapped, not long after I rebuilt the diff, one of those quick need the car runnign again rebuilds.

Take it how you wish but in the end it is your car and your option.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users