HZ One Tonner

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:48 AM

This is a vehicle I really shouldn't be doing. I bought it for $440 a few months ago so I could toy with some ideas for custom trays on a 1:1 scale.

This is how it came except it had stock wheels 3 of which were flat. It also came with a full tank, unfortunately it was full of water.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I disconnected the fuel line, put a battery in, threw some juice down the carby, jammed a screwdriver into the starter (because the pushrod for the ignition switch was broken & partially disassembled), and she fired. So I winched it into a corner and left it thinking at least there's a spare motor & 3 speed for the stockcars.

A few days ago, after pulling the last few bits I wanted off a rusty old HJ wagon I bought for the kickass 308 & T400 it had, I decided to have a better go at the HZ. Not much better but if I got it going OK I might go further.

Posted Image

Got the water out of the tank (mostly), the carby was already stuffed so I grabbed a spare from a stockcar, put in a points dizzy to replace the elec I pinched for the stockcar, juiced her up and she fired. Tuned up fine and revved really free & sweet. Got me going on a quick tidy up & minor repairs for rego. Spent half a day cleaning it up, refitting door glass, replaced a door (the HJ had 1 good\better door), spare new ignition barrel in & brakes adjusted.

Still haven't spent an extra cent on it, just parts spare from other projects.

So I get a permit yesterday (monday) & take it for inspection. On the way find out there's a dud front bearing, no big deal, still went for the inspection, & bugger me if I won't be able to register it today. All it needed was 1 ball joint - done ($35), number plate light - done (loose wire), horn - done (fitted a spare wheel with horn contact & indicator return), and finally a small exhaust leak I'll weld up today. They didn't notice the wheel bearing but that was fixed with a spare.

Including permits & inspection it's cost $555, and it does go like the clappers. It'll need a bit more work to be reliable but I'm cheerin'.

#2 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:53 AM

mate cant ask for much more than that eh?? Now just go and put it through its paces hehehe :rolleyes:

#3 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2006 - 01:35 PM

Nothing like a garage full of spare parts.

#4 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:31 PM

HAHAH great stuff!

As Chop said, but also the knowhow to give it a go and do it yourself! also the time... and the space...

:spoton:

#5 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:26 PM

Well I have a four car garage, the parts, the know how and as I'm no longer working, plaenty of time. But now that I'm not working, I don't have the money! Mind you, I'll be going for quite a while before I have to buy something.

#6 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 06:37 PM

Yes I do have a few years worth of bits & pieces lying around, very handy. It's all passed inspection now at no further cost so I bought it a proper set of work vehicle mirrors & new brake pads. I've decided to grab new wheel bearings too before I bother with the pads. Theres still a few days left on the permit so I'll register it next week.

Posted Image

Now I keep eyeing off the complete 308 & T400 I have to suit a HZ. Hmmmm....

#7 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2006 - 05:44 AM

Sounds like a bargain, I was under the impression HQ-WB utes and one tonners fetched very high prices regardless of condition?

Id be painting that door white, just so the constabulary dont think what else may be wrong with it.

#8 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2006 - 09:58 AM

It doesn't really matter what the cops think of it, the car is legit and it passed roadworthy 2 days ago :spoton: . I won't be spending money on its looks for while yet, too many other cars I need to do that on.

#9 _JBM_

_JBM_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2006 - 10:59 AM

Cops can still give out canarys regardless of how recently it was inspected.

I like the new rims.

James

#10 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2006 - 12:10 PM

Yes, and I know its anything unroadworthy in the cops opinion too, whether he is right or wrong. But it is actually roadworthy and mostly stock. Also our chief steward at the speedway track is a gov pit inspector (handy to pick his brains before modifications).

It's great having something to stick the Cragar copies on again, I love 'em.

Time to focus though. The HZ & Bedford Van are both going well enough to keep me out of trouble. No 308's for either of them right now, time to get into the LC.

#11 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:20 AM

Well I'm ashamed to say we have been poaching parts off the LC road car for the race car, so it's on hold waiting for new parts. So I'm playing with the one tonner again, the 202 has been fine around town, but overheats on the highway. I think it's the head or the gasket, but rather than sort it out it's out with the old.

Posted Image

And in with the new(ish).

Posted Image

recently rebuilt 308 & T400. Now to spend a couple of days hooking it up & changing things over to auto.

#12 _torana_luv_

_torana_luv_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2007 - 12:42 PM

thats looking sweet :clap: Its was pretty good looking to start with!
Goodluck with the projects

#13 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 23 January 2007 - 03:21 PM

with all the luck youve had ,next youll find its a HT prefixed block.

#14 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:30 PM

No, QT. But I'm told the spare heads are brand new L34's.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 arrimar

arrimar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 06:37 PM

yella recently discussed the part numbers of L34 heads so wouldnt be hard to check while they are like that. by the way do you work for putt putt or are the cane toads bad your way? :spoton:

#16 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:00 PM

Not too many cane toads in Canberra.

There not L34 heads, LH replacements that have been given a once over. I'm not disappointed though, they'll still do the job.

#17 arrimar

arrimar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:34 PM

putt putt?

#18 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:48 PM

Thats it.

#19 arrimar

arrimar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:01 PM

what do i win? :clap:

#20 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2007 - 10:22 AM

More good luck. I've been putting off cutting the tailshaft, only because of laziness. While waiting for a rego inspection on my brothers car I wandered down to Speeds holden wreckers, not expecting to find a 1 tonner t400 tailshaft but I've had good luck there before. Sure enough 2 one tonner tailshafts on the shelf, one shorter than the other, measured it and it's spot on. Gave it to me for $50 changeover on the old one.
Took it for a run this morning and I'm more than happy with it. Still have to do some things, like the brake pedal, kickdown, starter safety switch. I've also put the 8" & 10" GTS wheels on so I better get the power steering on it too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users