Red 308 auto to manual

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 _Clinton72_

_Clinton72_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:20 PM

Hi
Have a red motor 308 that has a t350 behind it, have lost reverse although could be low on fluid (have just bought car and have not really looked at mechanicals until last night!), car was originally a 253 /M20 and although a 308 red is not origianl am thinking of slowly taking it back to original - with this in mind was thinking a m21 or m20 - would eithe rof these bolt up to a 308 red motor or is that a stupid question -ie depends on the turbo350 bell housing etc etc etc
An pro's/cons between m20 and M21, obviously 308s came with m21 but i hear of a few people changing (on this forum) from M21 to M20's?

cheers
Clinton

#2 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 05:09 PM

Yes it will bolt up no issues. The issue you do have though is that your block is a turbo pattern and as such will require a turbo pattern bellhousing for your m20/21 and when you go back to the 253 (if you are) you will require an Aussie pattern bellhousing for fitment to that motor. You other option is get the T350 serviced, build a Aussie pattern 308 and swap the m20/21 and Aussie 308 in in one hit. Your other option is to look at using a T5 from a VN v8. these are all turbo pattern and will bolt onto your block directly without a differing bellhousing (this does mean that it will not bolt to the 253 however.)

I hope I have no confused you...

Cheers

#3 _Clinton72_

_Clinton72_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 05:37 PM

Thanks mate
the T5 sounds like a good option - as far as originality I am starting to think its all a bit hard, it is an ss hatch so thought it was worth the effort, but has a red 308 with injected heads has had a few $$ spent on it so to go back to 253 that is non original block would not mean much - further it has a ford 9 inch in it and HX front disks - a lot of effort to change, may just get the respray and interior done and start looking for a T5 - do you know if these line up in relation to the hole in the trans tunnel?
cheers
Clint

#4 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 05:43 PM

A member here has done the conversion and it seemed fairly straight forward. I think it was redlh or herne. I cannot remember 100%. They did do a tech article which was stickied at one time but not sure whether it still is. I believe the hole did line up but not 100% sure.

Cheers

#5 _Clinton72_

_Clinton72_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 06:07 PM

thanks again - will have a look through the tech articles
cheers

Clinton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users