gooley

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • Name:Jason
  • Car:Holden Torana LC 1970 Coupe

Posted 13 November 2006 - 05:03 PM

What is needed to be done to stop my Diff leaking????

I know i need oil but what type of oil and how much of it....im pretty sure its all stock diff....

do i buy diff gasket?
it would be a good chance for me to see what my gears are too.....

#2 _IPRALC4Door_

_IPRALC4Door_
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2006 - 05:25 PM

Where's it leaking from? If it's around the join of axle housing to centre, get yourself a tube of 'Blue Max' sealant and run a liberal bead round the mating lip of the diff to axle housing join when you drop the centre back in. Most of the race cars I know of use that and I've yet to see it not work.

As for Oil, Most heavy gear oils will do. I use Redline Red shockproof in the race car, and have no issues at all. It's not cheap, though. Most BP oils are good stuff, I've found, too. Just fill to the level where the oil starts to leak out the fill hole and that should be all you need.

#3 _Rob 5000_

_Rob 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2006 - 05:43 PM

make sure if you have a LSD that you use the correct oil. And yeah blue max is best sealant.

#4 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 13 November 2006 - 05:44 PM

^^^ yeah i agree ^^^ just take the diff centre out, get a new gasket and a tube of sealant... the last thing you want is a leaking diff.... i had a diff where all the oil leaked out and she locked up on me on the highway! Not fun at all

#5 _Rob 5000_

_Rob 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2006 - 06:04 PM

you dont need a gasket for a diff just the blue max :tease:

#6 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2006 - 08:46 PM

but at $6 for a gasket, youd be silly not to put on in just in case, i mean you dont want it leaking again...

A1

#7 _Rob 5000_

_Rob 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:03 PM

more chance of leaking with a gasket than without it. That blue max is the go. Even the big diffs in trucks just use blue max and no gasket.

#8 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2006 - 10:30 PM

more chance of leaking with a gasket than without it. That blue max is the go. Even the big diffs in trucks just use blue max and no gasket.

So true. The gasket sometimes doesn't let it seal proper around the bolts cause they're not cut exactly perfect. Also put some "blue max" on the bottom threads of the bolts when putting it back in. And be sure to wait till the sealant is 'tacky' (should be a couple of minutes twiddling your thumbs) before sticking the two halves together!
Good luck!

#9 gooley

gooley

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • Name:Jason
  • Car:Holden Torana LC 1970 Coupe

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:09 AM

Cheers for the tips ....so in other words its just like put on a rocker cover........Take off, remove previous gasket, place gasket on, use sealant (Blue Max), then bolt back on........thats the way im gonna use it.....id rather be safe than sure

Cheers for the tips

btw how long should I let it dry till i can drive it again....just 20mins? 1hour?

Edited by gooley, 15 November 2006 - 10:12 AM.

#10 _IPRALC4Door_

_IPRALC4Door_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2006 - 07:56 PM

Not even that long. Once the sealant's tacky, you're pretty sweet. Seal it or seal the gasket if you're using it. Refit the axles and hubs, attach tailshaft, fill with oil, attach wheels and check for leaks again.

If you want to be super safe, give it a few minutes to allow the sealant to take. The tube will tell you how long.

But as a guide, we once did a hot swap of a blown diff in a Mazda RX4 race car between races, approx 2-3 hours, and the oil from that diff change hasn't even looked like leaking since then. That's about 3 months.

Edited by IPRALC4Door, 15 November 2006 - 07:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users