Rear brake rotor trouble

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 _sampearce_

_sampearce_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2006 - 07:07 AM

I have an EH which now has a converted 9" under the rear but am having some dramas with the rotors.

I took the calipers in to be recoed and found that they were the same as XD falcon, however after going to 4 different brake shops, no one can tell me what the rotors are off( I assumed they would be the same as they fit the diff and calipers). So I thought maybe someone here might be abe to shed a little light on what sort of car they are from.

I need new rotors as I need to get HQ stud pattern drilled in them and the ones I have already have heap of holes and couldnt safely drill anymore.

The size of the rotors are: width- 292 height - 60 centre hole - 78

Also I was told that the calipers would need to be resleeved or more than likely they will leak and seize...is this correct.

#2 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:52 AM

If the diameter was 287 MM, it would probably be XB/XC rears.

#3 _sampearce_

_sampearce_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:42 AM

Yeah there are a few rotors that have similar sizes but none the same. Is there a problem with putting a smaller diameter rotor on, other than not gettin full braking power..which being rear discs shouldnt be a drama.

Another option one brake place said was to use HQ rotors with a spacer behind. This seemed like the best option suggested so far.

#4 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:55 AM

HQ didn't have rear rotors though...... anyway

Pics please
I might be able to help identify
Is the disc solid or vented ?
Does it slip over the axle flange or come in from behind (axle out)
The caliper bodies are usually sleeved because they corrode in the rear seal area ....... its very common

#5 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:26 PM

sounds like you are running HQ pattern already. maybe someone modified holden rotors to fit the XD caliper.

#6 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2006 - 02:02 PM

HQ didn't have rear rotors though...... anyway

Neil, you should know better than that! A9X, HZ and WB had rear discs as an option. HQ's didn't have rear discs, but were available in the HQ - WB range. I thought of HZ rears when the diameter of 292 MM was mentioned, but as XD rear calipers were used, they would be way too thin.

#7 _sampearce_

_sampearce_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2006 - 02:42 PM

It may have been HZ rear rotors that the guy mentioned I may be able to use...not sure. I'll take a photo of what I have as a soon as I get home and post it..that should give a better idea of what they are(coz my descrpitions aren't too great)

The diff had EH/torry stud pattern when I bought it, and I had the axles changed to HQ-WB as thats what the wheels I have are, and I put HQ brakes on the front.

They are a vented disc, and slip over the end of the axle and bolt up with the wheel.

#8 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 03:14 PM

vented rear with 10 holes in it already sounds like someone just redrilled a Ford disc but the diameter is off.
Now there are 2 versions of the slip on in the ford range
They differ by the thickess of the flange which is important to get the thing centred in the caliper
Pics will certainly help

HZ-WB-A9X are already the right pattern and are solid discs........ so you wouldn't be asking this question if they were them

Where did you do that 60mm measurement ?
Did you include the disc thickness or just the hat ?

Oh and there were a small number (5) of NSW Police special HQ sedans that were rumoured to be rear disc but no-one seems to have ever actually seen them but paperwork exists to support their existance.

#9 _sampearce_

_sampearce_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2006 - 04:16 PM

I put pics up on the EH site so they can be viewed at the folllowing:

http://forum.ejehclu...p?TOPIC_ID=3440

They actually have 15 holes so thats why I didnt want to drill another 5 for HQ/chev pattern.

The hat and disc thickness is 60mm...the hat is 38mm

Is there any other option if I cant replace these rotors.

#10 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 04:31 PM

Hmmm...... nothing in DBA springs to mind with those dimensions
WRX disc is the closest and its not that

I'll keep thinking

#11 _sampearce_

_sampearce_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2006 - 07:50 AM

I finally found out that the rotors are from a Lincoln. I bought the converted diff from a guy at Aussie diffs which had been set up for his mates HR and for some reason they put these rotors on to correct the offset or something.(the diff has been in a couple different cars)
Anyway they had a set of 2nd hand rotors the same so I can now get them on the EH and continue with the rest of the brakes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users