fuel near the polution canister?!

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 _Chamois hatch_

_Chamois hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:39 PM

driving around today, i noticed a strong smell of petrol.....poped the bonnet and there was a small puddle of fuel around the base of the polution canister, looked for the source and im, a bit dumbfounded as it really doesnt look as tho it was coming from the canister, but i cant think of where else it could be coming from...

any experienced this on an EFIv8? i checked all the hoses and running to the canister and although they are cracked and will be replaced there was nothing to indicate the fuel was pissing out of them. is it possible for the fuel to make its way up from the tank and thru the pollution lines to the canister?

this is the second time it has happened and both have been on a practically full drop tank........

any ideas?

#2 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:49 PM

this was my fear with relocating my canister.
are all lines connected correctly.
is your canister in the orig. location.
are you running that (dont know name of it) thing at the rear that the HZ runs or just hose and pipe to the canister.

#3 _Chamois hatch_

_Chamois hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:54 PM

every thing is connected right as to original requirements......

what does the HZ run?

canister is in the original location although it will be moved fairly soon to under the guard......

cheers
john

#4 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:00 PM

its hard to describe the HZ thing, but i think you need it with a drop tank, if you can get your hands on a manual or stick your head under one you will see a little tank type thing joining both sides of the tank hoses then one hose from that to the canister.
HZ thing is about three inches long, an inch wide and two inches deep and is located between the diff and the tank standard. approx. three hoses connected to it.
i think its on the forum somewhere.
pretty sure you need it with a drop tank tho.
maybe PM Yella SLuR or someone. He just done a big write up on drop tanks.
let me know how you get on thanx.
cheers T.

#5 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 15 November 2006 - 04:06 PM

The fuel tank breather is connected to the canister. When you fill the tank the fuel coming out of the pump typically cooler than the outside temperature. As the fuel warms to the outside temperature it expands and air in the fuel tank is released to the canister. If the fuel expands to the point where there is no air left in the tank then fuel will be pushed out of the canister.

#6 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2006 - 04:10 PM

so what basically hes just over filled the tank?

#7 _Chamois hatch_

_Chamois hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2006 - 04:21 PM

makes logical sense^^ however since i filled up to full, i have done about 100km's so bout 10L is gone, unfortunatly my guage doesnt work so i have to guess what the fuel level is......

i will drive it some more (i have a HUGE fire exstiguisher behind the drivers seat) ans see if the problem re accures.

fortunatly you can smell the fuel as soon as the problem occurs.

cheers

#8 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 04:57 PM

Yes, I think the problem is caused by over filling the tank. You will notice that most cars have a sticker advising you not to overfill the tank, I suspect for this reason. I had the same problem with my drop tank. If the fuel expands by 5% in a 120 litre tank then that is an extra 6 litres.

The fuel should have come out of the bottom of the canister and not puddled around the base. The canister may have a split.

#9 _Chamois hatch_

_Chamois hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2006 - 05:42 PM

yeah i think the canister needs a clean inside and close examination, among other things, is it OK to use a smaller canister from other cars as i want to relocate it anyway.....

cheers
john

#10 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 05:58 PM

so long as it is the same config, i think yes, argument would be that it is a direct replacement for obsolete part.

#11 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 06:18 PM

All LX's have (or should have) the vapour trap between the tank and the charcoal canister. These are mounted up above the diff housing.

When I first had my LX on the road, I had the HP fuel return from the fuel rail T'd into the 3/8 breather on the drivers side of the tank and it was leaving puddles of fuel out of the carcoal canister just as you say. It was actually doing whilst driving around too :blink:
I ended up just disconnecting this line to the vapour trap and only used 2 of them.
The fuel return goes straigt to the 3/8" breather and it has worked a treat ever since.

I doubt it is from over filling, on a level ground I can fill my tank until it is lapping at the top of the filler neck and it doesn't spit out the charcoal canister now that I have separated the fuel return from the charcoal canister line.

You can mount the canister under the guard (thats where mine is) as long as the pipe still goes up and over as high as you can run it under the guard - try to achieve at least the same height as standard. this stops your tank partially draining if you park on a steep slope.

I use a canister out of a VL Commo which suits an 80 odd Litre tank and funnily enough is the identical part used on Nissan Pulsars with a 50L tank. These are a bit smaller than the Torana ones.

M@

#12 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 06:24 PM

vapour trap
thanx Toranamat69, thats the word i was looking for.

#13 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2006 - 08:14 PM

Mmm, interesting.

I had this with the LH, which was a float level set too high, but being EFI, this won't be your problem.

As stated, LX and HZ are plumbed different to the pre ADR-27A cars via a vapour lock, which is mounted to the left hand (passenger side of the tank on the Torries anyways). How have you plumbed your return line? Is it direct to the tank, or via the vapour lock? We plumbed the return into the vapour lock in Herne's car. I can't remember exactly how we did it, I just followed Herne's instructions, he might be able to take some pics to help us remember. We had to redirect some hoses.

My drop tank is vented to two charcoal cannisters in series, but only via a vapour line near the sender gauge. The other two breathers are vented to the shock towers, as per normal Torrie tank.

Don't know if that helps, bout all I know about it.

EDIT, not sure if the thing on the Torrie tank is a vapour lock. Just looks like some sort of junction, with pipes going every which way.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 15 November 2006 - 08:15 PM.

#14 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:32 PM

can someone post a pic from the parts book posted here?
im pretty sure there is a factory drawing in one of the manualls.

#15 _Chamois hatch_

_Chamois hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:59 PM

yeah if herne can get pics that would help. will jack her up tomorrow and see how everything is plumbed in.

yella where do you store your 2 canisters?

cheers

#16 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:24 PM

The junction box above the tank has three inputs connected to the tank breathers and one output connected to the canister. Mine is out of the car at the moment and it rattles so I suspect it has a float inside that is designed to prevent liquid fuel from entering the canister

Page 12 of the supplement section of the Gregorys LH-LX manual has the following statement. "A dome built into the fuel tank prevents liquid fuel entering the canister when the tank is full or the vehicle is parked on an incline." I assume that they are actually referring to the junction box fitted outside the tank.

It would be reasonable to deduce the following.

1. The 120 litre tank is filled with petrol at around 15 �C from the underground tanks at the fuel station. ( 15 �C is the industry standard for fuel in underground tanks.)

2. The petrol in the tank is heated to the ambient temperature of 25 �C. Petrol expands and contracts at 0.0011 of its volume per degree Celsius variation.
http://www.consumer....el_tempcomp.pdf

3. The 120 litres expands to 122.64 litres resulting it 2.64 litres of fuel wanting to leave the tank under pressure.

4. The junction box fails to prevent the 2.64 litres of fuel leaving the tank and floods the canister. The junction box fails either because it is faulty or it can not handle the pressure created by the expansion in a 120 litre drop tank.

#17 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:43 PM

you read my mind and put it to words AndyCullen :spoton:
can we avoid this by
A; fitting and maintaining said vapour trap and
B; only fill the tank to 90% capasity?

#18 _Chamois hatch_

_Chamois hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:27 PM

lots of good info.....for the time being i'll fill it to 90% but eventually the carbon canister will be moved so then i'll look into resolving this problem properly. wonder if you can get new vapour taps from somewhere.

#19 hatchssv8

hatchssv8

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 04:20 PM

My 2 cents worth gents.

With pressurized fuel systems (efi)
Always have the canister above the uppermost fuel level height. Not including the fuel rail at the engine.
During a purge cycle (driven by the ECU), the vapours in the canister are to be burnt in the engine, hence the term purge, i.e. no fuel vapour in canister.
The purging method employed is intake vacuum pressure placed directly on the cannister.
If you have overfilled (or have incorrectly placed the canister) the tank, it means there is no 'air gap' at the tank and the suction from the engine will start sucking fuel into the canister. It will continue to do so until he fuel level drops below canister.

I would suggest that the canister is plumbed directly to the filler pipe breather, and even then, do not overfill the tank. This is because the ECM may purge during acceleration and the subsequent sloshed fuel will be covering the breather at the filler pipe.

Hope this makes sence.

I had the exact same problem with my VR on one occassion. Overfilled for a long trip. Warmer weather than usual. ECM purged with tank full of fuel (no air gap). Canister sauturated until it leaked.********NOTE******* Even after I switched engine off, fuel was still being sucked into the canister. (like syphoning)

Remedy: Release fuel filler cap (careful of spray), remove hose from canister. This way the pressure (vacuum) is released to atmosphere.

Dont forget to clear the line of any fuel. (basically blow air from hosed removed at canister)

Hope this helps., Max

#20 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:55 PM

Teriffic info gents!

Ive been suffering this problem since i installed my drop tank with no real solution.

I too found that anything over about 3/4 full tank results in expansion ( you can actually HEAR the fuel bubbling around and the tank expanding under pressure!!) and it pumps out the air breather lines and onto the ground in my case.
Not a good look at A) a car show B ) A wedding... :rolleyes:

Now, I got a "special" valve from nissan which is from a patrol fuel tank.
It allows the movement of vapor but closes when liquid hits it. Except under pressure where it STILL pours out!

My old remedy is to open the fuel cap to release pressure!
( i'm running a Carter Black 110Gph 15psi pump with a mallory return regulator and return line).

I'm going to keep a close eye on this thread for further solutions to a frustrating problem ( even more frustrating when i have no room to put cannisters etc.. especialy above tank line!!)

Cheers

#21 _Chamois hatch_

_Chamois hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2006 - 12:17 AM

it happened again today....on a freezing day and the tanks is defianatly NOT full.....so now im taking the cover off my other torrie until this problem is fixed, as the amount of fuel pooring out was astonishing,.,.

#22 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 02:06 AM

The first thing to do would be to check that the fuel lines connected to the junction box are connected to breathers at the top of the tank and therefore only exposed to fuel if the tank is full. Make sure that the return line from the regulator is not connected to the breather system.

A possible explanation is that overnight the fuel in the tank cools and shrinks creating a vacuum which sucks air into the tank via the breather valve in the fuel cap. The next day pressure builds in the tank, the fuel vapour under pressure leaves the tank via the junction box and pushes out the fuel in the canister line from the previous overflow to the canister resulting in flooding. A three meter 3/8 line would hold a reasonable amount of fuel.

This should now mean that the system is now purged of fuel and the problem will not reoccur until the tank is filled to the point where fuel is again forced into the canister line.

You should be able to prove this for yourself by filling the tank. Parking the car in the sun with the line from the canister running into a fuel container. Once fuel has stopped running into the container then drain 20 litres from the tank. The next day I would expect to see fuel left in the canister line run into the container. The day after that I not expect to see fuel but I would expect to see bubbles if the hose was placed in fuel.

#23 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2006 - 06:27 AM

If it's a syphoning problem, the simplest solution would be to get some fuel line and put a high point in it, i.e. run it up the shock tower before running it back to the cannister. Make sure all lines are clear of the exhaust, it gets pretty hot.

Dual cannisters, normal position, there's just two of them. Gets comments at most car shows!

Alternative is to run it right over the top of the diff recess, but you won't get as much of a high point as the shock tower.

Another thing you could do is put a t-piece into one of the existing lines running to the shock tower, as where you are running the cannister line from ATM is only about half way up the tank, adjacent to the guage/pickup. Block that one off with a rubber stopper and hose clamp, and run the cannister from the upper vent position via the T-piece.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 17 November 2006 - 06:30 AM.

#24 _Chamois hatch_

_Chamois hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2006 - 02:08 PM

OK i finally had some time to have a look under and see how all the plumbing goes.....

there seems to be NO junction box of any kind.

i'll let the pics illustrate what goes to where.

Posted Image]pic 1[/URL]

Posted Image]pic 2[/URL]

what do you guys think, from the looks of things and assumin nothing different is done internally to the tank, the return fuel line, blocked of line, and carbon canister lines are all on the same level on the tank.

also since the tank to pump line needs replacing, would it be ok to unhook the it, drain whatever fuel comes out and then hook in a new piece of hose and turn the engine over until the air is bled out of the line, will the air hurt the pump or injecters?

cheers

cheers

Edited by Chamois hatch, 20 November 2006 - 02:16 PM.

#25 _Chamois hatch_

_Chamois hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2006 - 02:34 PM

also i had a look in the filler nec and there is no where to attach the hose, being a drop tank, my other hatch with standard tank does have it......

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users