Most powerful torana (standard)

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#51 _Torana482HP_

_Torana482HP_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2006 - 09:51 PM

Yeah but what i mean is, if you have a standard 308 and put whatever camshaft, exhaust, and carby, from 240HP you wouldnt even crack 300HP.
Horsepower all comes from the heads, if the heads can flow the airflow, then you match a carby and camshaft and exhaust to the head and whammo, MAX POWER.

im getting a fully worked 308 and the heads flow upto 482HP (hence my name) and with my engine setup, im aiming for around 450 - 470. when my mate first owned that engine before the rebuild, he was pumpin about 470HP.

heads on a standard 308 would only flow about 260HP.

So anyway, the A9X must have had good heads to get upto 400HP, i dont think race teams were allowed to do any modifications to the standard heads. Thats what the redco development team was for. :furious:

#52 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 09:51 PM

Ok, i just had another quick read of my "how to rebuild and hotrod holden v8" book, ( awesome book i reccomend everyone to buy a copy, best book i have.
anyways heres some quotes and information.

I borrowed this book from a a mate at work before Christmas, we had a very good laugh at some of the crap written in it about L34 and A9X.
"Early testing of the (standard) L34 engine on the dynomometer proved that the engine was on the right track. Horse power varied between 300 and 320 horsepower and the engine would successfully rev to 7000 rpm."

Thats not standard, thats an engine, out of the car on a bench dyno at Repco.

5.0 litre - red option L34 High Performance Package
Blah Blah Blah
Power output : 260kW (350 bhp) @ 6000 rpm
Torque : 400Nm (544lbs/ft) @ 3000 rpm

Read above, High Performance package

"A9X power specifications were not released to the public as it was deemed that public opinion would be negative to a registered road car suitable for race team development for the race track. This was similar to the L34 high output option for the LH. (CRAP)
The standard A9X engine was the blue block  (SINCE WHEN WAS IT A BLUE BLOCK????? AS I SAID THE BOOK IS FULL OF SHIT) with performance heads (BULLSHIT), modified intake manifold (BULLSHIT), ignition as on the L34 (BULLSHIT) and an exhaust system similar to the L34 (MORE BULLSHIT). The A9X was a better handling car than the LH, due to "radial tuned suspension".
Touring car racing and bathurst homologation allowed A9X Toranas to run the L34 ngine and L34 improvements. Race teams worked on the fuel and exhaust systems and eventually increased the horsepower to 395 - 400."

Well looks like the A9X did have modified heads and should have gone just as hard as the L34. There are no A9X power figures in this book, only the L34 HO.

AGAIN THIS BOOK IS FULL OF IT

Race teams didn't just tune, carby exhaust and cam. I think you need to do a little reading back. The A9X engine was basically stock. What it had over a 5l SS or 5000 af the same Polution specs was a different cam, and no engine driven fan.
The L34 had a list of parts designed to make the engine stronger, and capable to be prepared by a race team within the rules for racing purposes. As I said, there is no doubt at all, these changes would make a stock L34 go harder , but the way Holden built the cars from the factory, the difference wasn't that great, and the 0-100 and quarter mile times of the day prove that.
You have to understand Holden was in the business of making money, they did as little as they had to to make the cars racable within the rules of the day, thats why the A9X didn't need a shit hot engine, they had homolgated that with the L34, all they needed was a decent diff, gearbox and brakes. They got that with the A9X. Anyway, the original arguemant was what had more power, a stock SS 5l or aa A9X, and as I said before, you have to compare cars of the same pollution specs, so the SS would have to be an ADR27A car, simple as that.

Well thats enough typing for tonight. :furious:

As changed in the quote.

Edited by REDA9X, 12 January 2006 - 09:55 PM.

#53 _Torana482HP_

_Torana482HP_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2006 - 09:55 PM

ahh yes, they probably just used L34 heads. duuhhh, i need sleep. :ZZZ:

#54 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 09:58 PM

The heads on an A9X are stock 5.0l ADR27A heads :furious:FFS read back the race cars could use the L34 spec engine

Edited by REDA9X, 12 January 2006 - 09:59 PM.

#55 _Torana482HP_

_Torana482HP_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:02 PM

ahh thats better, it needed the highlight.

Well red, u own an a9x, so i think you would probably know best.
Catcha mate. :furious:

#56 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:10 PM

Don't believe everything you read. I don't know how many times I have seen things likr A9X had twin thermo fans written in magazines. Thank God when Mark does a story for AMC he does some decent research.

#57 _Torana482HP_

_Torana482HP_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:21 PM

Yeah i liked that L34 write up, have they done an A9X one yet? probably due this year or so...
Most of the reading i do is engine/car performance building, that 308 book has some good info in it and me turbo 350 handbook taught me a shitload about autos - didnt have a clue how they worked before i read that.

I was hanging out last night to get the new AMC issue but they didnt have it at the supermarket, they only stock ricer mags. :cry:

#58 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:27 PM

They will be doing a full story on the A9X in a future edition, but there has been plenty written about them so far in it, including my car 2 issues ago

#59 _Torana482HP_

_Torana482HP_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:29 PM

Sick, i missed out on that issue.

#60 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2006 - 07:39 PM

Hay i just read this from start to finnish and i thought oldschool was right but after
Reading reda9x coments i don,t know there seems to be a contradiction here
In 1974 i could go in to one of 4 gmh dealerships in sydney if i had a cams licence i could order a L34 with all the hot gear ie HO hi output pack. remember
This is only a hoted up SLR5000 and drive away .Now these L34s with the HO pack where alot faster than the SLR5000 . you can,t compare them I owned a
SLR5000 in 1986-93 dead stock from factory. Ait nd a mate at the time had a L34-HO
yer with all the good gear from holden parts divisions. genuine and it shit all over
my slr5000

My point is. Could you go in two holden when the A9X or SS came out and get the same HO pack as the L34 if knot then in my mind i think L34 is the quickest ?

YOU GUY,S REALLY GET STUCK INTO SOME OF THESE TOPICS : :D

#61 _Torana482HP_

_Torana482HP_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2006 - 07:55 PM

Haha,

yeah it was a good discussion i reckon.
dont think you could get a "HO" pack for the a9x, it was a l34 special. :furious:

#62 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 08:47 PM

Hay i just read this from start to finnish and i thought oldschool was right but after
Reading reda9x coments i don,t know there seems to be a contradiction here
In 1974 i could go in to one of 4 gmh dealerships in sydney if i had a cams licence i could order a L34 with all the hot gear ie HO hi output pack. remember
This is only a hoted up SLR5000 and drive away .Now these L34s with the HO pack where alot faster than the SLR5000 . you can,t compare them I owned a
SLR5000 in 1986-93 dead stock from factory. Ait nd a mate at the time had a L34-HO
yer with all the good gear from holden parts divisions. genuine and it shit all over
my slr5000

My point is. Could you go in two holden when the A9X or SS came out and get the same HO pack as the L34 if knot then in my mind i think L34 is the quickest ?

YOU GUY,S REALLY GET STUCK INTO SOME OF THESE TOPICS : :D

As has been said over and over, a stock L34. HO pack was NOT a factory fitted item, it was a Dealer option, and $1500 at the time was alot of money. To answer your question, NO, the HO pack was not allowed to be fitted to the A9X as it was against the ADR's of the day. A letter was even sent out to the dealers in 78 stating HO packs were not to be fitted for this reason. Apparently some dealers had been fitting them, so there may be some A9X's or even HX's etc with HO kits fitted by dealers.

#63 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:58 AM

OMG, nice debate fellas. Yes unfortunately there is alot of crap in the books written on the old beasts.

Doesn't surprise me that an LH L31 SL/R 5000 pasted the L34, remember the L34 development was aimed at greater reliability rather than outright speed. The L31 first release was one of the General's lemons reliability wise. 1974 was a bad season for the new cars.

I've swapped Trevor a drive for the L34 while he drove mine. We both agreed after getting out of the cars, that they were remarkably similar to drive, so very little noticable difference between the two. We gave them bit of a basting on a windy road up in the mountains.

Don't get overly excited about L34 heads. The valves are only like 20-30% bigger than standard. Yella Terra Stage 3 on the other hand are like twice the size of standard.

Just to clarify, the L34 engine was homologated with CAMS, maybe even by Harry Firth, to run in the A9X race cars.

#64 _oldschool_

_oldschool_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:38 PM

yella
u must have a fairly warm 5000 or your mate must have a fairly sad l34 if they performed the same on a drive! :huh:

#65 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:56 PM

It is not HO pack. Just our observation. My car pushes along all right.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 17 January 2006 - 02:00 PM.

#66 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2006 - 03:25 PM

The vid on Litre 8's website is out of the front window of my car.

#67 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:04 PM

I made a call to a member of the club who has owned (back when they were new) an LH SLR 5000, an L34, and currently has a stock A9X and a modified A9X, plus an XU1 1970 LC Bathurst model. I'd also say this is the most knowledgable person when it comes to Toranas that I know. Many people who know him will agree, it's a shme he doesn't get on the forum. He confirmed again to me the L34 wasn't any quicker over the quarter than a 5000. He reguarly would beat L34's in his 5000. He told me he raced one in particular that was stock bar a holley. The L34 only just beat him. Had it been over anything greater distance however, the L34 was always going to be faster. He believed the difference was 13" to 14" wheels, but engine wise, there was nothing in it, as I said, Holden choked the L34 with the small exhaust. Anyone who has driven an L34 that goes a lot harder has driven a modified one, (that includes HO pack as it is not a factory fit) simple as that. Back to the book that was mentioned earlier. I pulled it out today and even it lists the L34 in stock form as being 240hp.

Edited by REDA9X, 17 January 2006 - 04:05 PM.

#68 _Torana482HP_

_Torana482HP_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:37 PM

Well, now this discussion is getting serious :furious:

Yeah come to think of it, me mrs' old mans L34 that he owned had HO option - holley carb + race camshaft, thats probably why it went better.
:clap:

#69 _purpleLC_

_purpleLC_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2006 - 05:53 PM

Red, what options were fitted on the "Bill Paterson Pack" A9X's
you could buy from them?

Louie

#70 _oldschool_

_oldschool_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2006 - 06:31 PM

what diff ratio did a a9x have?

#71 kudu

kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • Car:LH SL/R 5000

Posted 17 January 2006 - 06:44 PM

Its a pity that I can never find any figures for my M40 LH SL/R 5000. I wonder if that would have been any quicker (or slower)over the quater than a manual version or even a L34 ???

#72 _Torana482HP_

_Torana482HP_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2006 - 06:54 PM

autos suck more power from the engine than manuals (oil pump and all the rest thats in an auto box) so it would have been slower. :furious:

#73 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 07:06 PM

Red, what options were fitted on the "Bill Paterson Pack" A9X's
you could buy from them?

Louie

Where did you hear about Bill Patterson Pack A9X's?

A9X had 2.60 and 3.08 ratio diffs only.

#74 _purpleLC_

_purpleLC_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2006 - 07:16 PM

I remember hearing about them when they (Bill Paterson Holden)
was modifying them at the time, and also seeing one,
it was a 2 door A9X , lowered all round with big wheels, roll cage
and big exhaust, being driven around by an elder gentelman.
And this is when it was new, not some years later.

Louie

#75 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2006 - 08:05 PM

You can get pretty good performance out of the M40's if you manually select your gears. Ratios are different, but still seem to go pretty well if driven correctly.

That's the other part of the equation, you can have all the HP you want, but it's only as fast as the person driving the car at the time, unless your driving in a straight line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users