#1 smeer

smeer

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • Car:1970 LC 4-door

Posted 16 November 2006 - 01:11 PM

My LC 6 with trimatic has a high pitch whine and I wanna try and find out if its normal, or if it can be removed. i hate it! really kills the sound of the car.

I thought it might be just the normal fan belt etc sound, but it can barely be heard when I open the hood and listen in. But if i shut the hood or walk to the side its much louder.. it appears to be coming from the transmission.

The interesting thing is, the whine sound comes when the stick is in Park and Neutral too.
First and second gear whine but third does not, maybe because i'm not going fast enough, and when I do, everthing else is too loud.

sometimes when i let off the accelorator during second gear, the transmission disengages and there is no more whine. A quick rev of the engine and still no noise, until the 'clunk' and trans engages again.

Anyone experienced similar 'problem'? is it even a problem? Maybe time to replace the box?

#2 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,000 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 22 November 2006 - 10:55 PM

Sounds a bit like it could be low on oil? Do you have the correct dipstick? The whine could be the pump caviting if the oil is low and could also explain the erratic shifting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users