#1 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 18 November 2006 - 03:17 PM

OK, I have just bought an electronic dizzy and I am wondering what goes where?
I have 1 pink wire
1 green wire, which has a blaco wire coming off the end of it.

I assume that the green wire goes to the -ve side of the coil, then the black goes to earth? and the pink wire goes to switched 12V? and swithced 12V goes to the +ve side of the coil?

any help would be good,

Makka

#2 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2006 - 04:35 PM

Yes, above sounds good. Does your black wire really join the green wire? Is it a bosch holden dizzy? Typically the earth connection is made through the distributor body, but earth may be necessary if using a gasket between dizzy and bock and hold down clamp is insulated.

#3 makka

makka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:23 AM

yeah, its a factory bosch dizzy out of a VL 5.0. its definatly factory wiring, It hasnt been changed from what I can see.

Thanks

#4 _Christian_O_

_Christian_O_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:35 AM

The pink goes on the positive +ve terminatl of the coil, the green goes on the negative -ve and the black wire is for running your tacho (if you have one)

#5 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2006 - 12:17 PM

Christian are you really sure about your post ^?
Is the black wire actually joined to the green wire in these dizzies, I didnt get a response from Makka when I asked. If it is, then that would make sense that it is for the tacho and not an earth wire.

#6 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2006 - 02:22 PM

Makka do a search, this has been covered before. I checked my car, which was originally wired back to front. It will still work that way, but not optimally. I know I checked my car and posted the way it is done. Mine doesn't have a black wire, just pink and green. Black wire doesn't head back off from the terminal to the tacho does it?

Anyways, look for the previous post using the search function and it all should make more sense.

#7 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2006 - 02:28 PM

I am too confedent that the black is tacho. I cannot remember 100% as to when the extra wire came in but the VL would seem somewhere in the right area. The earlier ones only had teh pinkand teh green. The pink is 12V +ve and teh green trigger. So from there you should be able to get the car at least runnign. I think I have a wiring diagram around here somewhere but most of my books are in boxes...

CHeers

#8 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 24 November 2006 - 02:47 PM

Agreed, black wire is definately a tacho feed. If you earth it there will be NO spark.

#9 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 09:13 PM

I just worked on a vl 5l today & that is how it's wired up also,pink to positive & green to negative,the little black wire & plug for the tacho feed.

#10 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:11 PM

Makka do a search, this has been covered before. I checked my car, which was originally wired back to front. It will still work that way, but not optimally. I know I checked my car and posted the way it is done. Mine doesn't have a black wire, just pink and green.

Id still be very careful making sure of connections of the green and pink wires in the event it could damage the module..........maybe not, if anyone wants to let us know for sure............
I suspect in Yella's case the coil was possibly back to front, yet the pink wire was still connected to the +12V supply and the -ve of the coil, with the green wire connected to +ve of coil, this would still work, yet have the polarity of the spark plugs reversed and performance less than ideal. Theory being that electrons will more readily escape from a hot surface, so less voltage is needed if the centre electrode is -ve.

#11 _Christian_O_

_Christian_O_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:45 PM

100% sure. Pink is +ve, green is -ve on the coil. As for the black wire, it has a long plastic shroud around a pin connector. I saw this type of set up in late VH V8's and carried through to the VK then to VL's. It's for the tacho. On toranas a brown wire is attached to the -ve terminal of the coil.

PS: 6cyl electronic dizzy's are the same connections.

Cheer to all.

#12 355LX

355LX

Long Term Project

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:LX hatch

Posted 25 November 2006 - 01:34 AM

Agree with above, have worked on 5L Vl, pink +ve. green -ve and black to the tach.

Dave

#13 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2006 - 05:43 AM

Thanks every one for confirmation, the black wire is physically joined to the green wire so as pointed out by struggler earthing the black will just earth out the coil.
The black wire can be left unconnected, and/or if its more convenient the tacho wire can still be attached to the -ve of the coil(in correct orientation).

#14 makka

makka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 10:56 AM

yeah, i figured that it was the tacho feed, I have just left it unconnected and used my old tacho feed wire. I wired it up as in my first post and evertything is running great!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users