6cyl to 8cyl engineer's required?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 _Loki_

_Loki_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 11:21 AM

Hey,

I've tried to call the QLD Transort a few times, but apparently there is 'nobody available' to take my call in the section that deals with compliance and engine conversions (all on holidays or something) tried a few different sections and they just kept transferring me to the same place even after I asked if someone was there <_<

I figured alot of people on here would know the answer anyway.

When converting from a 6cyl Torana (LH) to an 8cyl (308), is an engineer's certificate/mod plate required to change registration from 6cyl to 8cyl?

I've heard some people say that it is not because that model came with a v8 factory.
And some people have said that it is required because "MY" car itself did not come with the 308, but with the 202.

I'm aware that the brake booster etc. has to be changed to be legal (I've already changed mine), and while I'm running a Turbo350 gearbox, I have the crossmember from castlemain rodshop holding it up which has a certificate stating that it is 'compliant' already.

Cheers.

Edited by Loki, 29 December 2005 - 11:23 AM.

#2 _Torana308_

_Torana308_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 06:14 PM

http://www.transport...LE/F1854_es.pdf

or http://www.transport...s_modifications

Should help you i think gearbox needs plate as not factory fitted in any toranas but engine shouldnt be by that document above. Ring anywhere that does mod plates and ask i guess might be an option but i know what its like to get anwsers out of the DOT at times

#3 _Loki_

_Loki_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 09:00 PM

Makes me think that the gearbox just needs certification.
Woner if they'll just accept the certification for the gearbox crossmember I used.
I don't really want to pay some random a few hundred bucks just to look underneath and say "yep, cool. here you go".

F*kn stupid DOT and inability to get a hold of someone useful all day.

#4 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 08:16 AM

If it were me I would just (in NSW) re blue slip the vehicle so the rego states it with new engine/engine number and change it on your insurance as well.

How do they know the difference between a TH350 and a trimatic from looking at the T-Bar? They dont get under and check transmission types, they just want to know if its got 2,3,4 or 5 forward gears and if its mechanical operated or an automatic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users